PDA

View Full Version : Frikking Dyson

tartare
17th Dec 2017, 22:06
I have read posts here in the past denigrating Dyson.
That said - found the vacuum to be a reasonable performer, until you get the thing wet and it starts to stink.
First time - sent back for maintenance per manufacturers instructions.
Two hundred nicker later, it comes back, perfect.
Then a few weeks ago it got wet again (don't use it to vacuum out the boat, you muppet - first world problem I know) and the stink was back.
"Bugger this," thinks I.
Took it to bits as far as I could, only to see that to proceed any further, I'd need a tamper-proof screwdriver set.
Well that's an open, red-rag invitation to tamper...
"No it's a legit purchase," I says to the wife as I'm off to Bunnings (that's B&Q to you lot); "I'm fixing the bleedin' Dyson."
After purchasing the 100 piece bit set and the extension rod to reach into the guts of said vacuum to unscrew tiny T9 size screws, what do I find?
The most intricate dust-hoarding design I think I have ever seen.
Yes I `spose its guts look like one of Frank Whittle's early engines to get the cyclone effect happening, but full of dust collecting and hoarding nooks and crannies.
The thing was filthy - so much for dust going into the collection bin.
What a piece of shite.
Took the whole afternoon to take it to bits, clean it and put it back together.
I know we won the war - but bugger it - I'm off to buy a Miele.

4mastacker
17th Dec 2017, 22:35
You've not had a good day, have you?

tartare
17th Dec 2017, 22:40
You've not had a good day, have you?

Correct!! After all the laudatory praise heaped on said vacuum designers...

Cornish Jack
17th Dec 2017, 22:45
Do yourself a favour - get a Sebo!!:ok:

tartare
17th Dec 2017, 22:57
Well there you go - Pprune comes up trumps again.
I'd never even heard of Sebo.
Just had a look now.
Thanks Jack.
I shall investigate further...

Jet II
17th Dec 2017, 23:13
Think you deserve a few tinny's after all that.. :ok:

Sallyann1234
17th Dec 2017, 23:14
Do yourself a favour - get a Sebo!!:ok:
Another vote for Sebo. Solid engineering - none of your Dyson coloured plastic [email protected]

PPRuNe Towers
17th Dec 2017, 23:45
Famous John Lewis Partnership in the UK.

I bought a Sebo when every member of staff on the electrical floor said discount or not that was their machine of choice at home. Long warranties are part of the John Lewis sales pitch so they see a real picture of what breaks in real life.

Rob

ethicalconundrum
18th Dec 2017, 01:04
I'm doing it wrong. I buy the cheapest Dirt Devil with a HEPA filter. We use it for maybe 2 to 2.5 years, donate it, and get another. They're about $50 bucks delivered to my door. For the first 2 years, they'll suck up everything, and leave the air nice and clean. After that, it's done it's job, and will be given to someone else.

rjtjrt
18th Dec 2017, 01:44
Tartare
I agree about Dyson. Designed so dirt gets into places that to clean out you must comprehensively disassemble vacuum cleaner yourself (and I guess void warranty), or pay Dyson a fortune for their service people to clean.
The traditional bag vacuum cleaner is far more useful long term.

meadowrun
18th Dec 2017, 01:59
Amazes me how much dosh people are more than willing to pay to suck up some dust, hair and crumbs in the quest to most efficiently suck up some dust, hair and crumbs.

obgraham
18th Dec 2017, 02:46
Shark.
Gets good reviews, sucks as good or better than Dyson, costs half as much.

Paying excessive cash for something that only sucks is never a good deal.

G0ULI
18th Dec 2017, 03:33
Dyson - A triumph of marketing over efficient engineering design.

Actually, the early models were not bad if you had a house infested with pets! Had a DC03 model that lasted for years. Finally the beater brush gear mechanism disintegrated, defeated by a moulting golden retriever.

WingNut60
18th Dec 2017, 05:22
Amazes me how much dosh people are more than willing to pay to suck up some dust, hair and crumbs in the quest to most efficiently suck up some dust, hair and crumbs.

Vacuum cleaner marketing is right on a level with all the other daytime TV products; wrinkle cream, probiotics, leg stimulators, et al.

Carpet crap does nor care what the source of the vacuum (actually, air flow) looks like.

UniFoxOs
18th Dec 2017, 07:28
I'm off to buy a Miele

You should see what they charge for a repair.

I've gone for a central vacuum system. Current one is based on a HEPA-type cylindrical filter, but the one in the next house is a bag design. Life's too short to be cleaning filters, and I reckon it will only use 2-3 bags a year based on bag size and frequency of emptying current bin, and I'll stand the extra cost for the bags.

Not easy to retro-fit but it was worth it. More powerful than any push-along and the noise is in the garage.

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2017, 08:09
Read some Sebo one star reviews on the river site - poor customer service, heavy and clunky.

So, what about a robot? Philip Scofield was testing one on TV. It can off the dock when he typed in Clean. It searched for the dirt, didn't see his red wine glass and pushed it around a few times, and picked up some of the dirt.

At £900, a bargain.

Anyone tried a robot?

Nemrytter
18th Dec 2017, 08:27
Yes, we have a robotic vacuum. It is, as you would expect, not as good as cleaning manually but it's still a very useful bit of kit. The problem is that it can't reach into corners, little nooks and under some low bits of furniture.
But for cleaning large areas of floor (kitchen, living room, etc) it's great - especially with little kids who drop crumbs/mud/whatever all over the place. We set the robot off twice per week, then clean all the corners manually once or twice per month. Overall I think it probably saves us an hour or so a week that we previously spent vacuuming. The thing was expensive ($800) but I value my time more than I value money, to be honest.

Bob Viking
18th Dec 2017, 08:33
I donít have one but a story from a friend who does have one is definitely worth a share...

Said friend, letís call him Tarquin, has a few beers when home alone and falls asleep on the sofa.

Whilst he slept, and just before the robotís scheduled wake up and suck time, the family dog had an explosive diarrhea incident on the floor.

The robot duly did its job and merrily sucked dust whilst helpfully spreading out the doggy dribblings.

As if that wasnít bad enough, semi drunk Tarquin, in a bid to prevent his wife finding out, decided that the robot needed cleaning. Letís just say that robot vacuums do not take kindly to being immersed in water.

Iím not sure if he was able to make a warranty claim but if the company had a sense of humour they should have let him have a new one just for the comedy value.

BV

paco
18th Dec 2017, 08:41
As with Linn Sondeks (record players), if Dyson are so good, why do you see so many up for sale in the newspapers?

We also use the Jack Reacher approach - buy a new cheapie every so often. :)

tartare
18th Dec 2017, 09:36
Bob - just read that story aloud to the Chief Dyson purchasing officer - we both pissed ourselves laughing!

ShyTorque
18th Dec 2017, 09:47
My wife bought a G-Tech vacuum cleaner. A week later she ran over the edge of a rug and the plastic drive gears stripped. It was replaced under warranty. Three weeks after the new one arrived she sucked up my new headphones and broke it again. Seems they have modified the design of the third so the gears don't strip. But you still need another vacuum cleaner to clean it out....

Our Dyson still works well after many years but it has become so tatty that it has recently been relegated to car cleaning duties and lives in the garage. They are hugely expensive for what they are and a cheaper replacement now does the house.

And never forget the old advert: "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux". I don't think they used the slogan for long.

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 11:42
Imagine having to check the wind direction before emptying the dastardly Dyson into the wheelie bin!
They're an horrific, heavy antisocial and awkward piece of kit. They will be replaced by Miele products that have an internal bag and are light enough so that I don't have to carry them upstairs for the staff and ergonomic enough so that the staff aren't constantly chipping the veneer off the furniture with the gross protuberances to which Dyson seems addicted. Boudicca's chariot would be less cumbersome, more useful and less destructive around the house than a Dyson, the final crashing design demise of British domestic engineering.

hiflymk3
18th Dec 2017, 12:01
Real men, and women use a Henry, not these poncy Dysons.

Jet II
18th Dec 2017, 13:17
Surely real men have a little women that comes in and does the cleaning and doesn't have clue about the make of their vacuum cleaner as they are down the Pub.

I'll get my coat..

andytug
18th Dec 2017, 14:19
Unless you really need the HEPA filtration go with a Henry or the generic copy available from Screwfix from about £45, will pick up anything wet or dry that will fit up the hose.

Tashengurt
18th Dec 2017, 15:04
Shark.
Gets good reviews, sucks as good or better than Dyson, costs half as much.

Paying excessive cash for something that only sucks is never a good deal.

I bought a Shark. Enough suction that on a decent pile I need to turn it down to be able to move it.
Also a handy modular design so you don't have to lug the whole thing upstairs etc.

Filters do need regular maintenance.

goudie
18th Dec 2017, 15:09
My cleaning lady uses a ' henry'' says she wouldn't use anything else. I do have a Hoover for emergencies, quite efficient for my purpose.

MurphyWasRight
18th Dec 2017, 15:20
This all reminds me of the classic comment on Sears (Going down hill fast US retailer):

"Everything sucks at Sears but the vacuum cleaners."

Have to agree with the consensus on Dyson, despite the "no filter bag" marketing ours has 2 filters that need regular washing. Works but not worth the extra $$$.

XV490
18th Dec 2017, 15:28
So, am I alone in having had a good experience with Dyson?

Some months ago I managed to break the plastic circular clip holding the internal hose on our DC41 Ė four years after we bought it.

Dyson sent out an engineer who fixed it and checked through the whole system Ė at no charge.

Struck me as being unbelievably good customer service...

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2017, 17:04
Imagine having to check the wind direction before emptying the dastardly Dyson into the wheelie bin!

And of course fill the bin with dust.

As for engineering, can we have a thread by the gentler sex on Dyson's supersonic hair drier. How does it work with a hair piece?

radeng
18th Dec 2017, 17:08
What exactly do they mean by 'supersonic'?

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2017, 17:50
radeng, no idea and I dont think Dyson does either.

The Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer’s intelligent heat control prevents extreme temperatures, helping protect against overheating. In iron/fuchsia.

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2017, 17:55
Which bit of Dyson Supersonic have they trademarked?

Can you trademark 'Supersonic'? If the term is correct then, surely, it can be used by anyone?

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 17:59
I will admit that Dyson prolong the agony of ownership by repairing the dirty and disgusting things faster than I arrange to buy a Miele replacement.
It makes Patrick Mc Goohan's torment as a free prisoner seem quite docile in comparison.

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 19:17
Mind you too, the grocer owns Dyson now.

Chronus
18th Dec 2017, 19:55
Tartare, no dont do that. If you`ve got toddlers and four legged friends sharing your home, then its best to pay a visit to your nearest zoo and ask the keeper of the apes enclosure what make and type vac cleaner he/she is using. I bet it is one of those tankers used to empty the contents of cesspits. Perhaps you would get a second hand one off ebay for the price of the latest all singing dancing, apron clad robot job from Dyson. It could also double up as a vehicle for the Mrs to run the kids to school and save a whole load of money in having to keep two cars.

terrain safe
18th Dec 2017, 20:07
We have 2 Dysons. One upstairs and one for downstairs. Buy them off a guy at our local Saturday market for about £100 or so fully guaranteed. The last one was bought about 6 or 7 years ago. Great machines really keep the place clean. Love them.

Chronus
18th Dec 2017, 20:09
And of course fill the bin with dust.

As for engineering, can we have a thread by the gentler sex on Dyson's supersonic hair drier. How does it work with a hair piece?

I wouldn`t know how it would work on the gentler sex`s coiffe, but I bet on blokes it would fetch it off faster than the bat of an eyelid at a distance of 100m. You wouldn`t know its gone unless you step outside and feel the temp effects on bald scalp. Dread to think what would happen if the thing has been superglued, but I`d guess it would be an A&E visit. Wouldn`t mind that so much but the off putting thing is waiting around for eight hours with the bloody thing on top of the head.

redsnail
18th Dec 2017, 20:25
I bought a Dyson about 15 years ago. It worked a treated all those years. It's been relegated as it's just a bit heavy for our needs. I now have a portable V8 jobby. It's perfect for our needs. Works a treat too.

topradio
18th Dec 2017, 21:25
Our local pub has installed one of those new Dyson things in the lavatory.

Bloody useless thing - blows my piss all over the place :p

denachtenmai
18th Dec 2017, 22:04
Bob Viking, courtesy of ARRSE :eek:

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2017, 22:36
Our local pub has installed one of those new Dyson things in the lavatory.

Bloody useless thing - blows my piss all over the place :p

You're supposed to put your hands in it.

bankangle
19th Dec 2017, 05:38
Serious word of warning. Mrs Bankangle German) will always buy or want anything from the homeland. Eventually she despaired of having to change the bags so often, and

UniFoxOs
19th Dec 2017, 07:40
I now have a portable V8

Is that the 3.5 litre version?

Seriously, I recently bought 'er indoors a new portable. Despite its stupid name it works a treat. On full throttle it's powerful enough to make it quite hard to push it along the carpet, it has a reasonable battery life and the only downside is the small container for the dust - but I suppose anything larger would negate the effect of its small and light benefits.

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2017, 08:16
Serious word of warning. Mrs Bankangle German) will always buy or want anything from the homeland. Eventually she despaired of having to change the bags so often, and

And don't leave us in suspense and

N707ZS
19th Dec 2017, 08:34
One good thing with a Dyson is with the right tools you can easily take it to bits for maintenance and parts are quite cheap. Think Mrs ZS has just about killed the current motor so that's going to be a challenge in the new year. Will say "hover rash" is a problem with a Dyson with the weight most heating pipes in our house have a tell tale shape!

tartare
19th Dec 2017, 09:52
Gentlemen,
tonight I can proudly report from unashamedly suburban North Shore Sydney that said frikking vacuum cleaner has been fired up, post D-check.
The bastard sounds like a new high bypass turbofan and sucks harder than a whore from the Four Floors (not very post Weinstein of me I know, but WTF).
You will be pleased to know that recommissioning involved a scientific fire up of each stage (ball first, no hose, then hose, then extension rod bit, followed by rotating carpet thrasher thingy - which had large amounts of hair from female members of household extracted in surgical like procedure involving scissors, tweezers and swearing).
At each stage, precise nasally assisted stink monitoring was performed - with negligible results.
I feel like a LAME... well a LVCME...
Will now return said `airframe' to service, signed off with no snags and crew chief like pride, and riding instructions that if any Rupert of a driver damages it, they can bloody well fix it themselves next time, and I'll be off to buy a Sebo.

handsfree
19th Dec 2017, 11:04
just about killed the current motor so that's going to be a challenge in the new year.

It's a fairly easy job with the right tools. A new motor off the internet cost
about £20 and the job took about 30 minutes to do. If I ever need to do it
again it will take about half that time.
There are some useful videos on youtube that are useful to watch first.

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2017, 12:04
followed by rotating carpet thrasher thingy - which had large amounts of hair from female members of household extracted in surgical like procedure involving scissors, tweezers and swearing).To my knowledge, no female has ever tried untangling their own hair from one of those things.

"It's disgustingly yucky, I'm not doing that!" is what they say around these parts.
"But it's YOUR hair!" say I.
"How do you know that?"
"Because it's very long, blonde hair and wrapped around the roller dozens of times- my hair's very short and dark (or grey)!"
"Well, it's not a woman's job!"

I give up at that stage. She knows that a cup of tea helps to get stuff fixed.

Uplinker
19th Dec 2017, 12:04
As with Linn Sondeks (record players), if Dyson are so good, why do you see so many up for sale in the newspapers?

Because they are very good and they last a long time. Normal cleaners (and record decks) don’t last so well, so they get binned after a few years because they don’t work properly and are not worth anything, unlike Dyson’s products.

Our Dysons have such strong suction you can see they lift up the carpet as they go over them - I have never seen any other make of vacuum cleaner do that. Everytime we vacuum, there is a significant amount of dust collected. Other cleaners don’t collect all the dust, they just blow it around the house.

Avoid anything damp though; I once used my DC-03 to pick up some very fine but damp plaster dust after doing DIY, and this got clogged around the motor, so for wet or dirty DIY jobs, I now have an industrial vac. Dyson's one snag is the emptying of the container. I personally don’t mind this, but women in particular do not seem to like handling dust, so if Mr Dyson could improve that, it would be appreciated, I am sure.

Dysons are also strong - while developing them, they used to throw them down the stairs of their workshop onto the concrete floor, and hit them with hammers. Dysons survived this, other makes didn’t.

The ‘supersonic’ label of the hair dryer I think refers to the fact that the motor runs so fast that the audio frequency it produces is above the human range of hearing. I too baulked at the cost of that hairdryer, but having just read Dyson’s autobiography and realised the amount of technology, design, development and after-sales support that goes into his products, I have just bought one for Mrs Uplinker for Christmas.

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2017, 12:06
What exactly do they mean by 'supersonic'?

Very loud?

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2017, 12:10
I now have a portable V8 jobby. It's perfect for our needs. Works a treat too.

I wonder if Dyson does one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc

ricardian
19th Dec 2017, 12:14
A good many years ago I bought an 3 kilowatt electric paint-stripper. In the handbook were these invaluable words of wisdom:
"This device is not suitable for use as a hair-dryer"

Rossian
19th Dec 2017, 15:39
.....should not be used to dry out laptops either. No 2 i/c little French submarine was doing fine waving it about until some remark in the ops room caught his attention and the waving stopped for about three seconds - which proved just enough time to melt the screen. "Oooooer missus" he said in Ffrench (especially as the CO was watching, they seemed to lack phrase for "you stupid boy"). I had a hard job keeping a straight face and refraining from comment.

The Ancient Mariner

Sallyann1234
19th Dec 2017, 17:35
OK,that's the supersonic sorted. But why the 'digital motor'?

ethicalconundrum
19th Dec 2017, 17:51
Brushless perm magnet DC motor. They all use switching regulators. Dyson just calls it 'digital' for marketing. Been around for millions of years, in all kinds of applications. My cheap-ass Dirt Devil has a 'digital' motor too.

Saintsman
19th Dec 2017, 18:27
The old Kirby seemed pretty good, but they wanted stupid money for it.

"But think of how much you'll save"

Not saving anything if you give it to Kirby in the first place...

Fareastdriver
19th Dec 2017, 18:57
I've gone for a central vacuum system
More powerful than any push-along and the noise is in the garage.

I had one of those when I built my own house. The only problem is the heart attack when you are under the car when the wife starts cleaning.

twb3
19th Dec 2017, 19:02
Gentlemen,
tonight I can proudly report from unashamedly suburban North Shore Sydney that said frikking vacuum cleaner has been fired up, post D-check.
The bastard sounds like a new high bypass turbofan and sucks harder than a whore from the Four Floors (not very post Weinstein of me I know, but WTF).
You will be pleased to know that recommissioning involved a scientific fire up of each stage (ball first, no hose, then hose, then extension rod bit, followed by rotating carpet thrasher thingy - which had large amounts of hair from female members of household extracted in surgical like procedure involving scissors, tweezers and swearing).
At each stage, precise nasally assisted stink monitoring was performed - with negligible results.
I feel like a LAME... well a LVCME...
Will now return said `airframe' to service, signed off with no snags and crew chief like pride, and riding instructions that if any Rupert of a driver damages it, they can bloody well fix it themselves next time, and I'll be off to buy a Sebo.

Don't forget a snappy salute to the crew as it rolls off of the stand....

topradio
19th Dec 2017, 20:45
The most powerful vacuum cleaner I have ever owned was one of these.

https://www.bigbrute.co.uk/

Our one was simply a 40 gallon drum with three motors built into the lid - three switches and you turned them on one at a time depending on how much power you needed.

The hose was about 3" in diameter and about 30' long and you could have probably have picked up a cat with it. We used it to clean the floor of a corn store.

packapoo
19th Dec 2017, 21:06
I wonder if Dyson does one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc

That'd be interesting going for the next cut and the log wasn't advanced.....;)

ethicalconundrum
19th Dec 2017, 21:11
The most powerful vacuum cleaner I have ever owned was one of these.

https://www.bigbrute.co.uk/

I'd like that dude, but the wife might by pissed with the chain hoist, and tackle gear needed to get it upstairs. lolz :E

Impress to inflate
19th Dec 2017, 22:23
New to this tread so pls be careful with me.

I have had 4 Dyson cleaners over the last 18 years and I must admit I do like them BUT and there is a big BUT, I find I have to "strip" them down every few weeks and get my air compressor with the extra long air wand into the guts of it to blow all the ultra fine dust out of it. To do this, take the barrel off then remove the cotton filter then open the top and then let loose with 120psi of compressed air, you will be amazed how much dust blows out. Word of warning to you players.........do this OUT SIDE on a windy day ! I also take the air wand the cleaning head every few months and blow the debris out as well.

N707ZS
23rd Dec 2017, 11:45
The DC04 died today, quite disappointingly uneventful, no big bang or shower of sparks like previous motor destruction. Once tried to replace the brushes on a motor on test that just caught fire in the yard! Thus new motor ordered today so when it arrives it will be a small new year challenge. Might record the installation date on it to see how long it lives before she can kill it.

ricardian
23rd Dec 2017, 12:42
New Sebo X4 vacum cleaner arrived this morning. Purchased on the strength of various reviews including those on this site. Impressive build quality and first impressions after hoovering cat hairs, etc up from the kitchen floor are very good too

gingernut
23rd Dec 2017, 19:59
Quite like my Dyson, as even a numb nuts like me can fix it.

Never EVER use it to clean the ash in a fire.

Mechta
23rd Dec 2017, 22:36
Dyson's one snag is the emptying of the container. I personally donít mind this, but women in particular do not seem to like handling dust, so if Mr Dyson could improve that, it would be appreciated, I am sure.

If you put the dust collector into a plastic bag, and empty it into the bag inside the dustbin, you should avoid ending up in a dust cloud. Plastic bags that are too mucky for anything else (e.g. ex-takeaway bags) are ideal for this purpose. When the dust collector is in the bag, bang it on the side of the bin to dislodge the finer dust. Don't take the collector out of the bag until the dust has had time to settle. The inner parts (cyclone guide?) can be washed in the sink if you're feeling keen. Compared to emptying a old style dustbag, I would say that emptying a Dyson is far less objectionable.

Warm Ballast
24th Dec 2017, 08:39
1200W Upright Vacuum at Kmart: Cheap Dyson alternative getting great reviews (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/interiors/the-89-vacuum-cleaner-that-people-claim-is-better-than-a-dyson/news-story/153470810cbc39ec42bea130bb092120)

Turbine D
24th Dec 2017, 17:49
Original Post by GOULI
Actually, the early models were not bad if you had a house infested with pets! Had a DC03 model that lasted for years.
I guess we must be in the minority here, as our Dyson DC07 purchased in 2003 is still going strong! It serves the floors carpeted, tiled and hardwood where during its time span four dogs and two cats roamed besides our family visiting four legged creatures. At the moment we are dog sitting 4 dogs plus our own and it is going to get another good work out this holiday season. The only problem we have had, knock on plastic, is the attachment stair tool that broke twice, replaced by Dyson free of charge. We do follow the periodic cleaning protocol in the owner's manual and I think that helps with both cleaning capability and longevity.

Cheers,,, :)

ZeBedie
24th Dec 2017, 18:11
Had a DC01, it bust after a short time. Tried again with another, same result. On the other hand, we've just replaced our 7 year old gtech because it's become a bit noisy, though it still works well.