PDA

View Full Version : I would far rather watch the Cup Final that some wedding.

funfly
16th Dec 2017, 15:47
I would far rather watch the Cup Final that some wedding.

That's me stated then,

FF

chevvron
16th Dec 2017, 16:06
Assuming the FA will insist once again that the cup final starts early evening (5.30 ish), the wedding I would guess would be early afternoon (about 2pm?) so unless the wedding is in London rather than Windsor there should be no clash. If the wedding is in London, no doubt the police will be hard pushed to cover both.

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Dec 2017, 16:53
On 29 July 1981 I held a "not the royal wedding" garden party. I wasn't expecting much interest but quite a few people turned up.

I think that was the party that took a slightly surreal turn - someone said "how about some music", and it turned out one guy happened to have a clarinet in his car and another (unconnected) guy happened to have a flute in his far (or whatever the instruments were), so they went and fetched them and we had some music.

Sallyann1234
16th Dec 2017, 16:56
Neither! :p

NutLoose
16th Dec 2017, 17:11
I would rather grow piles than do either of the above.

Effluent Man
16th Dec 2017, 17:53
A damned close run thing. Probably only marginally the football unless in the (very) unlikely chance of Norwich City being involved.

treadigraph
16th Dec 2017, 18:00
Some friends and I avoided the last Royal shindig by walking from Amberley to Chichester, via various hostelries. Nice day out. I shall start some planning...

NutLoose
16th Dec 2017, 18:03
Well ones just a match made in heaven, the other just a match... The after match parties will be the raucous events..

It's Not Working
16th Dec 2017, 18:19
I last watched a football match in 1969 and have never felt the need to watch another.

Tankertrashnav
16th Dec 2017, 19:02
I last watched a football match in 1969 and have never felt the need to watch another.

I got married in 1969 and haven't felt the need to repeat the experience!

If the wedding is in London, no doubt the police will be hard pushed to cover both

Its already been announced that the wedding is taking place at Windsor in St George's Chapel which is within the confines of Windsor Castle so the police have got an easier job than if it was in central London.

Blues&twos
16th Dec 2017, 19:28
I shall watch both simultaneously on two televisions next to each other. One for each eye.

Dan Gerous
16th Dec 2017, 20:14
Well at least the shops won't be busy, a good time to get the weekly shop in.

Shack37
16th Dec 2017, 21:41

That some wedding what?

cavortingcheetah
16th Dec 2017, 23:52
It would be my preferred choice to watch the revisionist version of Gone with the Wind. That's the one where the South wins. Had that happened, if you believe all the rumours that are rooting around out there, there'd be no candidate at the wedding at all.
As for the cup final and its players, given those historic circumstances mentioned above, it might be difficult to predict a satisfactory outcome for the slaves to fashion who inhabit the teams.

Ogre
17th Dec 2017, 02:33
I have the advantage of several time zones between me and both events, therefore it is probable I will be in bed when they both occur...

parabellum
17th Dec 2017, 03:50
Well, I suppose it all depends on whether you would prefer to watch twenty two millionaires kicking a leather ball around for ninety minutes, often falling over for no obvious reason and sometimes bursting into tears, or watching a large crowd of well dressed people many of whom will be highly desirable females, covering a wide age range and in such numbers as to please most tastes.

RAT 5
17th Dec 2017, 09:47
What an opportunity for both to bond with the public and show you can out do your mum. ER dropped into the Olympics opening ceremony. Well, after the nuptials are completed in Windsor it is only a short helicopter hop, piloted by William, to deliver his brother and new wife to the centre circle of Wembley where they can watch the game and present the cup afterwards. No doubt wanting the final to be between Hereford (SAS) United and Chelsea, with his SAS mates winning to make it a real fairytale day for all.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Dec 2017, 10:32
What an opportunity for both to bond with the public and show you can out do your mum ...
Excellent! - just very occasionally one notices the lack of a "like" button on PPRuNe.

Super VC-10
17th Dec 2017, 11:03
I've pencilled in a day out at a heritage railway. Not interested in either wedding or footy.

dukiematic
17th Dec 2017, 11:10
Last Royal Wedding we spent in France, where there was not a single mention of the event. Proof that they do some things right....

Rosevidney1
17th Dec 2017, 18:57
Football or wedding? That's a choice between the new religion for the hard of thinking or a religious event that can be enjoyed by the whole country. I'm with parabellum on his stated views!

Pontius Navigator
17th Dec 2017, 20:53
Dukie, I was at HMS Excellent that day. Three of us took a day return to Cherburg but the icing on the cake was the Navy spliced the mainbrace when we returned.

Shack37
17th Dec 2017, 22:04
Last Royal Wedding we spent in France, where there was not a single mention of the event. Proof that they do some things right....
I spent that day driving, sailing, driving from Northern Spain to Leatherhead on company business. Traffic was non existent all the way from Plymouth to destination. Magic:ok:

Pontius Navigator
18th Dec 2017, 08:14
And with wall to wall coverage, and catchup TV, why miss the football?

Sit the wife down in the kitchen in the evening, glass of wine (bottle) and let her work through the channels with MiL.

dukiematic
18th Dec 2017, 08:27
So where to next year...any suggestions?

JWP1938
18th Dec 2017, 09:39
As a proud Englishman/Brit I shall try to watch both. I am still confused by those who profess no interest at all yet still take time to post to say so. There is enough misery and miserable people in this world without adding to them. Just enjoy or find something else to do or go on about.

Pinky the pilot
18th Dec 2017, 09:41
A slight digression from an Aussie who knows SFA about (your) football;:O

Every time I hear mention of 'the Cup' I instantly remember a Morecombe and Wise show I saw way back in the late 70's here on Aussie TV.

In the skit,they were dressed as British Officers in a German POW camp and everytime the Camp Kommandant greeted them with a 'Heil Hitler' they replied

"Luton for the Cup."

Is such a thing ever possible??:confused::confused::E

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2017, 09:53
Eric Morecambe started to come to Kenilworth Road in 1969 from his Harpenden home with his son Gary.
Luton secretary Bob Readhead cannily found him a seat next to the directors box and it was not long before he started getting invites into the boardroom after games where his love of football shone through.
He was elected to the board on 31st January 1970 and remained as a director until resigning on 7th November 1975.
He was then made a vice president, a position he held until his death in 1984.
Eric always treated his directorship seriously and was an active member travelling to many away games as well as most home matches. His directorship coincided with the ‘golden era’ of the Morecambe and Wise show and he always managed to plug the Hatters somewhere during proceedings which provided the club with brilliant publicity and awareness.

Luton Town football team had a chequered history:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_Town_F.C.#History

Krystal n chips
18th Dec 2017, 10:36
Football or wedding? That's a choice between the new religion for the hard of thinking or a religious event that can be enjoyed by the whole country. I'm with parabellum on his stated views!

Alas, the really hard of thonking will be glued to the box watching the wedding, plastic Union Jacks clutched firmly in their sweaty mits ( with a copy of the Mail alongside ). Indeed, for the truly desperate, a search on Google will reveal ( rude word ) knows how many links all going "goooh gooh and speculating as to the guest list, clothing, all the usual wedding stuff in fact only about 100 times more concentrated.

Thankfully, my own social diary, mwah, for the day shows we have a gala event on the railway which will be television free and thus one will be in the company of normal people.....all day.

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2017, 10:55
Train spotters.

goudie
18th Dec 2017, 11:00
Each to his/her own. I'm sure the happy couple and the ball kicking millionaires won't give a
toss what any of you do

treadigraph
18th Dec 2017, 11:22
Got an outline plan to travel by train to East Grinstead, use the Bluebell Railway to get to Sheffield Park, then walk 12 miles along the Ouse Valley Walk to Lewes - a couple of hostelries en route, a meal and a couple of pints when we get to Lewes, then a train home. All we need is nice weather and cooperative Southern drivers/guards...

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 11:29
How can it be a royal wedding when one party to the feast is a divorced commoner of antecedents as dubious as mine.

Laarbruch72
18th Dec 2017, 11:41
I am still confused by those who profess no interest at all yet still take time to post to say so.

Indeed, it's a common theme on fora - Especially sub fora like JB that are frequented mostly by curmudgeonly old men; Discuss television (say), and the curmudgeons will take time out of their day to tell you that they don't own a television. Discuss a wedding, and the curmudgeon will go to great lengths to tell you what great lengths he went to to avoid the last one. Discuss football, and the curmudgeon will always take the time to tell you that you couldn't pay him to watch overpaid people kick a bag of wind around.

If there's one thing a curmudgeon is interested in, it's taking time and effort to tell you just how much he's not interested in something.

Super VC-10
18th Dec 2017, 13:24
Got an outline plan to travel by train to East Grinstead, use the Bluebell Railway to get to Sheffield Park, then walk 12 miles along the Ouse Valley Walk to Lewes - a couple of hostelries en route, a meal and a couple of pints when we get to Lewes, then a train home. All we need is nice weather and cooperative Southern drivers/guards...

If you time it for first train out of EG (11:00 ish), the buffet as Sheffield Park is to be recommended. Decent food at a reasonable price and Harvey's ales on draught. Don't delay getting to buffet though, as it sells out quickly. Time to explore the station is after eating.

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 18:41
Actually and on the subject of curmudgeons, it can be just as entertaining to hear the reasons why people aren't interested in something as it can be to hear why someone is interested in something in which one has no interest in anyway. Perhaps this is in part because so many curmudgeons are misanthropic misogynists whose senses of humour are rather more honed in subtlety than those for whom kissing the cup is the sum total of an afternoon's ambition.

goudie
18th Dec 2017, 19:02
There's an oxymoron in your post cheetah, can you spot it?

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2017, 19:31
Certainly not, it just comes naturally.

Ascend Charlie
19th Dec 2017, 03:20
If there's one thing a curmudgeon is interested in, it's taking time and effort to tell you just how much he's not interested in something.

I am not interested in your opinion. Minimal time taken, no effort.

treadigraph
19th Dec 2017, 08:06
If you time it for first train out of EG (11:00 ish), the buffet as Sheffield Park is to be recommended. Decent food at a reasonable price and Harvey's ales on draught. Don't delay getting to buffet though, as it sells out quickly. Time to explore the station is after eating.

Old gits that we are - in fact "curmudgeons" does fit us well - unfortunately we probably won't have time to linger at Sheffield Park, 12 miles is a fair way and I've spotted at least one refreshment stop en-route if you know what I mean.

Mind you, we can always divert into Uckfield and get the train back from there; I seem to recall there is quite a nice Harvey's pub.

Laarbruch72
19th Dec 2017, 08:17
I am not interested in your opinion. Minimal time taken, no effort.

It wasn't an opinion, it was an observation (and aimed at no one in particular). But it's good that you at least recognise something of yourself in the tropes described.

Super VC-10
19th Dec 2017, 13:32
@Treadigraph, dare I say it, there is a sporadic bus service from SP southwards to civilization.

Toadstool
19th Dec 2017, 14:38
Indeed, it's a common theme on fora - Especially sub fora like JB that are frequented mostly by curmudgeonly old men; Discuss television (say), and the curmudgeons will take time out of their day to tell you that they don't own a television. Discuss a wedding, and the curmudgeon will go to great lengths to tell you what great lengths he went to to avoid the last one. Discuss football, and the curmudgeon will always take the time to tell you that you couldn't pay him to watch overpaid people kick a bag of wind around.

Spot on.

The number of people who come on here to complain about something while professing to have way too much intelligence to like/do (insert anything but spotting).

galaxy flyer
20th Dec 2017, 00:03
Can’t imagine which would be more boring! I’d rather watch paint dry that either of these options.

GF

Toadstool
20th Dec 2017, 07:57
I was in the USA during the last Royal Wedding on an OCU. I was sat down in a restaurant ordering breakfast. The waitress' first question, on hearing my accent, wasn't food or drink related, but was "will you be watching the wedding, we're so excited over here?"

Figures. Its like cat nip. :ok:

The estimates put the figure as 23 million Americans watched the last Royal Wedding with 27 Million brits. 2 Bn people worldwide.

The last FA cup was watched by over 88 million people in over 100 countries.

I'm guessing those figures beat the number of grumpy curmudgeons on JB who are serial complainers :ok:

It would appear though that this issue has brought KnC closer to those who normally disagree with him with regard to his political leanings. That is heartening.

Krystal n chips
20th Dec 2017, 09:10
I was in the USA during the last Royal Wedding on an OCU. I was sat down in a restaurant ordering breakfast. The waitress' first question, on hearing my accent, wasn't food or drink related, but was "will you be watching the wedding, we're so excited over here?"

Figures. Its like cat nip. :ok:

The estimates put the figure as 23 million Americans watched the last Royal Wedding with 27 Million brits. 2 Bn people worldwide.

The last FA cup was watched by over 88 million people in over 100 countries.

I'm guessing those figures beat the number of grumpy curmudgeons on JB who are serial complainers :ok:

It would appear though that this issue has brought KnC closer to those who normally disagree with him with regard to his political leanings. That is heartening.

I know, and I find this rather worrying .....but, I've always seen myself as a missionary offering warmth, comfort and spiritual guidance towards those poor souls who have been left by the wayside in life.

G-CPTN.....alas, thou art woefully wide of the mark.....gala day means for families and kids, not the "somewhat intense" enthusiasts community.

But lets be honest here, nothing and nobody will come between the BBC and a Royal event on the day.....

"in other news, the San Andreas fault line today opened up to a 100 ft wide chasm, the USA has dropped several nuclear weapons on North Korea and Greenland is proud to show the first plantation of palm trees ".....back now to our main news of the day, and our coverage in Windsor "

Crownstay01
20th Dec 2017, 13:48
Out of interest, which railway is having the gala day?

Krystal n chips
20th Dec 2017, 18:13
Out of interest, which railway is having the gala day?

One in the UK Midlands.

Effluent Man
20th Dec 2017, 18:27
[QUOTE=galaxy flyer;9995681]Canít imagine which would be more boring! Iíd rather watch paint dry that either of these options.

That is the point entirely. I hope Harry and his Mrs have a nice day. It just holds no more interest to me that anybody else's wedding. The only one I have really ever enjoyed was one where the parents were social climbers and spent about fifty quid a head on the meal, which as it wasn't my fifty quid, was worth every penny. Decent Champagne too.

Blacksheep
20th Dec 2017, 23:37
Seeing as how the wedding will be over before the kick-off, those who have neither the time nor inclination to attend either in person will be able to watch both from the comfort of their sofas. So, no problem.

Iíll be in the other room working on HMS King George V (in 1:350 with Pontos enhancements for the more technical)

funfly
21st Dec 2017, 15:48
One in the UK Midlands.

A sad point...
After a number of years giving us very good service London Midland has lost the franchise to a firm who are offering so much more, more comfort, more trains, more seats, more everything. I seem to remember that's what London Midland promised when they got the contract!

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Dec 2017, 15:54
one where the parents were social climbers and spent about fifty quid a head on the meal
Must have been some time ago then ...

Krystal n chips
7th Jan 2018, 11:12
For those who may be interested in alternative options to both events on the day, the ever resourceful and forward thinking Gov't have kindly provided the solution.....

Royal Wedding: Late pub opening hours for Harry and Meghan - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42595480)

The UK population will be invited to get legless! ....so not a good time for A&E / the police......or pub staff for that matter.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Jan 2018, 11:36
Careful research necessary to find a pub that isn't showing either event on TV.