PDA

View Full Version : Eurowings

Hotel Tango
16th Dec 2017, 13:48
Since the mods didn't like my humouristic approach, here are some FACTS about Eurowings. I have flown 24 sectors with them this year alone (between BHX and DUS) Of these 24 sectors 13 were in excess of 15 minutes late as follows (all in minutes based on block departure times): 40, 55, 60, 44, 30, 90, 16, 60, 30, 25, 99,39 and 62. Considering this is only on one route it's a pretty poor record. But it's not just this route that suffers. Sit in the departure lounge at DUS and note how many of their flights are delayed. Believe it or not I like EWG but there is something seriously amiss with their scheduling. Yes, I can vote with my feet and that's exactly what I'm doing. As from January I'm switching to Brussels Airlines from BRU for my BHX trips. Fares are pretty similar although parking at BRU is more expensive. But I have just got fed up with those frequent Eurowings delays.

gnarlberg
16th Dec 2017, 19:20
lack of pilots i think. now operation with many many different AOC´s switching flight plans and changing a lot.

SWBKCB
16th Dec 2017, 19:36
Also, since the start of the winter schedule, many of their UK regional routes have switched from jets to dash-8's - this seems to have hit OTP.

Hotel Tango
16th Dec 2017, 22:55
It's been going on the whole year. I think that the main problem is over optimistic turnaround times and not enough padding with their block times.

Harry Wayfarers
17th Dec 2017, 00:10
Isn't Eurowings a low-cost carrier? ... Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for"?

canberra97
17th Dec 2017, 00:46
Yes it's something you seem to quote excessively in these forums!

Hotel Tango
17th Dec 2017, 09:28
Harry, that's just such an outdated and ridiculous statement, especially as these days the great majority of short haul carriers are low-cost and there's no other choice. You really need to try harder! :ugh:

Harry Wayfarers
17th Dec 2017, 10:49
Excuse me but for some five years BHX was my most convenient international airport, I was a regular and I travelled regularly with the likes of AF, LH, KLM, SAS and Swiss and in five years the only delay I can recall incurring was one time when AMS had thunderstorms resulting in nothing less than chaos.

Are you trying to suggest that these legacy and quality carriers no longer operate to/from BHX and one needs to travel with a LCC or the modern day equivalent of the next best thing:

Such
A
Bl00dy
Experience
Never
Again

I should try harder? ... I think you may have got your wires crossed somewhere along the line!

ZFT
17th Dec 2017, 11:10
Isn't Eurowings a low-cost carrier? ... Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for"?

Not really. Lufthansa give you no choice on many routes. LHR to Cologne for example.

Hotel Tango
17th Dec 2017, 14:37
I was a regular and I travelled regularly with the likes of AF, LH, KLM, SAS and Swiss

OK, Mr I-know-it-all Harry Wayfarers:

Why should I travel with AF (DUS-CDG-BHX, LH (DUS-FRA-BHX), Swiss DUS-ZRH-BHX, KLM (DUS-AMS-BHX or SAS (DUS-CPH-BHX) when all require a transfer through their main hub (often with poorly timed connections) - and in two cases having to travel in the exact opposite direction to my final destination to reach that hub? I have used Eurowings a total of 77 times since 2012 and it's only in the past couple of years that their time keeping has increasingly become a problem. They are the low cost arm of Lufthansa and other than my beef about their time keeping they are a perfectly good airline, not to be compared with the likes of say Ryanair. My destination is BHX and I can reach it with direct flights from either BRU or DUS (both just over an hour's drive from my home, with either Eurowings, Brussels Airlines (nothing to do with SABENA by the way), or FlyBe.

All I was pointing out was that Eurowings need to address their obvious scheduling problems. It in fact has nothing to do with their being a low-cost carrier.

Not got my wires crossed at all.

inOban
17th Dec 2017, 15:02
All three Eurowings routes to EDI operated today. Two arrived on time, one 40 minutes late. But all substantially exceeded their scheduled time on the ground.
To be fair, every airline seemed to be operating within delays, but Eurowings seemed the worst.

gnarlberg
17th Dec 2017, 17:49
But I have flown a lot for Eurowings. The Block Times are totally fair and you can make up enough time here...

Hotel Tango
17th Dec 2017, 20:51
gnalberg, that all depends on how long the initial delay is. That's why in my figures (above) I only include delays of over 15 minutes. With the DUS-BHX westbound sector it's generally a headwind and any O/B delay in excess of 20 mins will be hard to make up. Eastbound, and tailwinds, there is some leeway to making up 15-20 mins or so depending on traffic and runway in use. I'm of course not bothered about small delays, but when 11 out of 24 flights, on one route this year alone, are delayed by 30 minutes or more I consider this outside the norm. Just for info, I keep a log of all my flights including block times, flight time and runway in use. Something I did since my teenage years many many moons ago. :)

Seljuk22
11th Jun 2021, 18:48
Prague will be a new base with initially 2 a/c during winter and a 3rd starting summer 2022
https://newscloud.eurowings.com/en/meldungen/2021/q2/eurowings-strengthens-central-europes-footprint-opens-new-base-in-golden-city-prague.html

Other current bases outside Germany: Vienna, Salzburg, Palma, Pristina

Eurowings Discover will be a new leisure long-haul airline operating out of FRA and MUC
https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsroom/releases/summer-2022-seven-additional-long-haul-tourist-connections-from-frankfurt-and-munich.html

SWBKCB
11th Jun 2021, 20:13
How many different tries have LH had at long-haul leisure?

Seljuk22
16th Sep 2021, 16:11
Stockholm will be a base next summer with 5 A320
https://newscloud.eurowings.com/en/meldungen/2021/q3/eurowings-opens-base-in-sweden.html

BA318
16th Sep 2021, 17:13
Its a interesting move considering SAS is a Star Alliance partner. But very welcome for us in Sweden!

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2021, 19:51
With Ryanair also getting into ARN, and HEL, and now Eurowings it perhaps suggests the Scandinavian airport's outlook on SAS and Norwegian delivering very little prospects.