PDA

View Full Version : AMOS How do you get on with it?

dixi188
16th Dec 2017, 10:41
Where I am connying at the moment, AMOS has just been introduced.
It seems to be hard work to me. (Old f*rt and new tricks)
How do others get on?

Blink182
16th Dec 2017, 16:41
Think that's bad ???? you should try the crap system that BA bought into ( SAP )

vikingivesterled
27th Dec 2017, 14:01
Introducing Amos often benefit of / require a change in work practice/flow and some customized paperwork to go with it.
When FR first went with it, most of the engineers including seniors and director plus all store personell, parts purchasers and tech records went to Basel in 2 batches for a training course with direct access to all the key developers. Key to success was also dedicated IT support and an engineering onsite superuser under Tech Services handling queries and the communication with supplier. Some of the signed paperwork can also be entered into the system after the fact by a Tech Records department, to free up the time of trained engineers.

Amos also often require dedicted computers/devices to avoid slowdown, since the performance of its graphical interface can be affected by funny screensavers and des like. For new installations, if you think its slow complain, since it should be instant but may require additional configuration and backend settings adjustments.

After that it is just a question of practice, practise and more practise until it becomes routine. It may seem cumbersone at first, transacting everything on the system after first doing them in the real world, but gives good oversight and allow for massive expansion.

Rigga
27th Dec 2017, 15:16
A few years ago, and to replace the massively expensive and complex-beyond-belief SAP system, I was tasked to find, recommend and then procure and install, a maintenance software system - admittedly for a small operation - but it still had to fill lots of maintenance objectives with relative ease.

I searched and found some 60+ systems available and reviewed them ALL one by one.
Some were too simple and designed for private pilots who didn't know what they were doing. Some were good but too complicated and some were far, far too expensive for what was needed in that operation (Some helicopters). I even found out some end-users and visited them without the "System OEMs" knowledge and got real end-user criticisms - quite valuable!

I eventually pulled three (all about £100K or less) for procurement review and all three demo'd their wares on-site before the middle one was selected, purchased and installed.

In all that work I found two rules applied...

1. There is no such thing as an easy Maintenance system - because aircraft maintenance isn't easy...in fact it is VERY complicated indeed! But some systems are better (More user-friendly) than others at doing the same job.

2. All systems can't replace paper. Instead, they follow a logical pattern of documented completions before a flight is released - if you don't follow the computer's logic, the system won't work! So, if your installing a system, the workforce MUST change their processes to fit the computer logic.

At that time, I bought a system for £25K + £Kpa for support and upgrades - and saved £1million pa overnight.

I can't comment on AMOS as it is now, but I only kicked it out due to its massive costs.

dixi188
27th Dec 2017, 21:09
It's not getting much better.
Rotables are a big problem. The records imported into AMOS have a lot of errors with serial numbers, so you can't remove and ship a wheel for overhaul because it's fitted somewhere else.
Lots of queries with little support during Christmas period.
I have had no formal training, just some guidance from a supervisor and notes about the various APNs.
I am 8 months from retirement so I'll let others do the worrying!

vikingivesterled
28th Dec 2017, 11:16
dixi188 - To get the basic data correct is key to get Amos to do its job. If rotable sno's are marked as fitted to the wrong ac, the hours and cycles are not adding up correctly. It is really a tech-records issue to get this right, but it sounds like your previous system was not up to scratch if the imported data is wrong. Or maybe there is a delay in entering wo's after the fact.
There must be someone there with override capability so adjustments can be made. Else it will get worse and worse as time goes on. But it will probably still require removal, overhaul and recertification of all wrongly entered rotables, since as mentioned their hours and cycles can possibly no longer be trusted.

JetMender
29th Dec 2017, 22:00
AMOS is a popular MRO System these days, particularly in UK & across Europe.
It was initially developed by Swissair as a dedicated MRO system, unlike other systems which are more generic. It as been constantly developed by Swiss (not always for the better)!
Good training for users is important to get the most out of it & large amounts of data must be entered accurately to make it work well (standard IT philosophy of garbage in, garbage out)!

Dougie_diesel
4th Jan 2018, 09:00
Used it for about 12 years and find it's one of the best systems I've experienced.

The integration between different departments is fantastic.
I currently use it from a supervisory position in base maintenance and can view progress of maintenance tasks, stores stock and off-site repairs all from 1 program.

The problems you describe Dixi come from poor usage by employees at the data entry stage (either by stores personnel or techs), this will fade with proper training & some practice.