PDA

View Full Version : Identification of US service personnel abroad

Effluent Man
16th Dec 2017, 08:02
I just had breakfast at a hotel in France with a young lady who told me that she was Romanian. By chance during our conversation I happened to mention that I thought that she might have a US connection. She seemed quite uncomfortable with this and said: "I can neither confirm or deny that". Strangely UK registered vehicles driven by US service personnel have distinctive registration plates. The characters are much thinner than UK ones. This seems an extraordinary oversight.

G-CPTN
16th Dec 2017, 08:18
UK registered vehicles driven by US service personnel have distinctive registration plates. The characters are much thinner than UK ones.

A similar situation applied to UK Forces personnel based in Germany - which allowed the IRA to identify and therefore target these people.
This was eventually altered.

SpringHeeledJack
16th Dec 2017, 09:45
It sounds like she went into panic mode and did the 'neither confirm or deny' routine which outed her as it were. That's what happens to indoctrinated persons, there's a rule and response for every situation however clumsy or futile.

Bon Route to the OP, I'm envious.

UniFoxOs
16th Dec 2017, 09:57
I just had breakfast at a hotel in France with a young lady

How did she like her eggs?

uffington sb
16th Dec 2017, 13:24
Fertilised! :E

Effluent Man
16th Dec 2017, 13:41
How did she like her eggs?

Sunny side up!

oldchina
16th Dec 2017, 15:12
In my days the only Romanian girls found in hotels were members of the Securitate.
I hope the previous evening was well worth it and your identity has not been stolen.

NutLoose
16th Dec 2017, 16:45
Check you still have a wallet.

Effluent Man
16th Dec 2017, 16:50
I think you are all labouring under a misapprehension. Mrs EM and myself were breakfasting on the next table.