PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone joined MALGUS?

Brettg
19th Jul 2002, 06:41
Has anyone joined MALGUS and thinks that it is worthwhiled?

distaff_beancounter
19th Jul 2002, 08:52
A more relevant question, now that MALGUS has been running for over 18 months is:-

Of those people who have already subcribed to MALGUS, how many have now received full sponsorship for BAE Jerez?

monkeyboy
19th Jul 2002, 09:35
Yes.......it has gone rather quiet in their corner, hasn't it?

Please, somebody prove me wrong.

I would love to hear that somebody has made it through.

Wibbly P
19th Jul 2002, 14:52
If you would like to know more about MALGUS, please send a cheque for £147 made out to 'Wibbly P offshore holdings ltd' to the address below:

Wibbly P
PO Box 791
Bermuda

GuinnessQueen
19th Jul 2002, 15:42
With regards to MALGUS, I assume it went quiet because people have failed to get through at certain stages....myself included.

I didn't make it to the final interview, having done the second round of tests and upon receiving feedback, I realised I did 'nt do that badly (however, not good enough for the next stage).

The feedback was valuable, and having done the SHL tests before and therefore having a copy of the SHL skills profile, it would appear that they are looking for scores in the 70th percentile (on the normal distribution) upwards in all the tests.

To be fair, they did say at the second stage that they would be setting a very high criteria, presumabbly to limit the numbers for interview. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter about not getting through, disappointed definately. (But I did ace the other 5 exams I had that week )!:D It's a difficult one to know whether to advise people to go for it or not. No one likes to admit to being a mug, but I know for sure that if I had'nt had a go I would be sitting hear thinking 'what if...'

Malgus also stated in early June that they had selected two people to begin training (before the final stage had begun), but it would be interesting to hear from those who got to the final interview.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

GQ

pinkpilot
19th Jul 2002, 15:51
I got in touch with BAE in Jerez who Malgus say they will send you to and they were kind of vauge with details about them. They said that no-one has started training with them to date. Malgus have told me that they will take 3 months to select people and another 3 months enrole in BAE, but BAE still have places for their next course starting in a months time!!

Nothing is for nothing in this industry, cynicism at it's best, but once bitten twice shy!!!
Pp

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Jul 2002, 15:59
If they ever send anyone to Jerez the details of who they are will be posted here for all to see.

J-Heller
19th Jul 2002, 17:19
I formed the opinion some time ago that it was a load of old bollocks.

Far better simply to have belief in yourself, and get on the usual tack of make money, train, make money, train, make money...ad infinitum ;)

The people behind 'Malgus' may well have honourable aims. They probably do. In the same way that any enterprise involving SELLING will justify its existence.

But, its also a business. At the end of the day, a lot of 'disappointed' wedge goes towards paying for the lucky contender's training.

For those that have taken value in defeat from the feedback (test results and gaining experience of selection procedures etc) then good on you, at least you are reacting positively.

As the above post shows there has not been one entrant into training under the scheme to date.

Advise you use the pprune search function and bring yourself up to speed on the whole thing.

Regards,

JH

Jet A1
20th Jul 2002, 18:51
Nice to see you still got that chip on your shoulder WWW.....Thought you had grown up since you started flying bigger planes ! Obviously not !!!!

Sagey
21st Jul 2002, 00:16
Oh come on lets be realistic.

Malgus scheme is great if you are one of the 2 or 3 lucky ones.

It is a total waste of money if you are one of the hundreds that miss out.

I personally won't give a penny to Malgus, I fundamentally disagree with individuals trying to make a profit out of wannabes.

Call me old fashioned but I can not take any scheme seriously that offers cosmetic surgery and web page design on the same page!!!!!

I have worked out the maths previously on Pprune and still stick to the figures. It takes around 160 people paying the money to make Malgus a profit and send one person on the scheme. Realistically Malgus probably look at 1 in 250 to maximise their profit.

Malgus is a profit maximising company, Malgus is in it to enhance self personal wealth.

I wouldn't touch it!!!!

Sagey

Bemused
21st Jul 2002, 01:46
zerouali - you've personally championed Malgus, against heavy flack, and I'm rooting for you buddy!!

I know I'm gonna log on one day and see a post from you to say you're off to Jerez - and I'll be jealous as hell, but reckon you deserve it.

Good luck fella.

What are the prices of GAPAN tests? If Malgus can provide a full battery of tests for a reasonable fee and give detailed feedback (basically make the £150 seem reasonable) then they don't suck as much as we'd like to think... To those who took the tests - what level of feedback did you get?

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Jul 2002, 09:33
Zeroulli - good luck to you if you are a straight up punter and not one of Malcolms drinking buddies (nice feature in The Herald yesterday btw Malcolm - was that all just to plug "Malgus a company that trains airline pilots"?).

Jet A1 - what chip do you refer to old buddy? My position was made clear way back last year that I would use my contacts in Jerez to verify that the lucky winner was not in some way a Malgus insider. This would help Malgus in their bid to gain credibility in the Wannabe community.

GuinnessQueen
22nd Jul 2002, 19:49
Zerouali,

Good luck, I hope its good news you get soon. As for the information about 2 candidates, it came from the e-mail newsletter from Malgus, sent on 4th June.

Not sure if I'm meant to post it, but here's the bit I was on about:

QUOTE:
"The aviation training side has been moved under the wing of Malgus Aviation now but the situation remains the same. We are still looking for people to sit our tests and hopefully go onto sponsorship with us. We have already identified at least 2 candidates to go to flight school with 22 more still to go through our Psychologists personality and technical interview process.

Just for the wary, we are now in the position to train at least 2 candidates although only having tested 174 in total."
UNQUOTE.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not 100% convinced about the scheme (either way), so wait and see I suppose!

GQ

Jet A1
22nd Jul 2002, 20:10
Ha Ha Ha !!

Wibbly P
23rd Jul 2002, 15:24
There not a complete waste of space......

....they had rather a saucy young lady on their stand at the Heathrow Pilot Fair... ding dong.

;)

egg
24th Jul 2002, 16:03
I'm in the same position as Zerouali at the moment, though I think I had my final interview a week later than him. They told me 3 weeks to a month too. Have never seen the newsletter that was quoted by GuinnessQueen and it was never mentioned in my interview either. Will post when I get that letter from Malgus, until then all we can do is cross our fingers and hope! Good luck Zerouali!

FE Hoppy
24th Jul 2002, 22:17
ditto

mbcxharm
25th Jul 2002, 11:47
ditto too. (although I did get that newsletter - did you sign up for it on the website?)

egg
25th Jul 2002, 13:15
No, I'll have a look.

Also, for people who are thinking of paying up and speaking from experience, before I signed up with Malgus I went down to the local library and did timed tests from those aptitude test yourself books they have in the careers section. I did quite a few, marked them honestly and saw that I was getting high scores so my decision to sign up was based on the fact that I knew I was capable of scoring high marks right across the board (maths, verbal reasoning etc.), and woud therefore most likely be a good candidate - it was a calculated risk I guess. I'm not saying it'll work like that for everyone but if you struggle on that kind of thing I think you might be better off saving the money because to travel to the first round and back and then get rejected certainly won't feel like you got your money's worth.

silverknapper
25th Jul 2002, 22:25
There was a boring article in the glasgow herald about a bloke called malcolm, a commercial pilot who runs an 'avaition training company' called, you guessed, malgus. Will try and find a web link, anyone who really cares can mail me and i'll scan it to them.

SK

FrontWindowSeat
26th Jul 2002, 19:43
A search on the site of the Glasgow Herald's parent company (www.s1news.com) gives the following story from last December in the Evening News. It's not particularly complementary to Malgus.

http://www.s1news.com/news/14392.html

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jul 2002, 21:03
Well, we have been telling all those interested to stay away from this scheme. By looking at the above link you can see clearly that it's a waste of money. AND..........you DO require good academic qualifications - required by BAe in Jerez.

Keep your money and avoid the temptation. There is nothing but misplaced joy for ONE person at the expense of 599 others. But nobody has even been selected yet. They didn't get all the money for ONE course as I understand it.

silverknapper
30th Jul 2002, 09:38
I hate regenerating this thread but I have just had another look at their web site. It seems they now do cosmetic surgery and web design!!! Another Stelios in the making, although seems to avoid the lime light as opposed to hogging it.