View Full Version : Thomson/TUI Gatwick to Phuket inflight service

ExXB
14th Dec 2017, 17:26
Has anyone taken this flight recently. I’m a T1 diabetic and I’d like to know (in approximate terms) the timing of the meal services. I like to take my insulin 45 Minutes to an hour before I eat. If I take it too early I risk low blood sugar. I’ll likely err on the side of caution.

It is a 12h20 departure and I’m guessing the main meal will be a lunch.

Of course they will give us an idea on the plane, but the more I can plan in advance the better off I am, and less likely.

I have checked their website but it doesn’t give me an idea of the timing.

Many thanks

TFlyguy
14th Dec 2017, 18:22
Lunch would be about 1.30 to 2 hours after take off (but confirm with the crew). There’s a hot breakfast before landing

ExXB
14th Dec 2017, 18:30
Ah, merci beaucoup!

On the return, at 09h00 local can I assume the same. Breakfast/Lunch 1.5 to 2 hours later and then a meal before departure. Sorry I should have asked in the my op!

rog747
15th Dec 2017, 04:50
i would take some food with you - unless you are in premium the food portions are pretty meager and whilst some crews get the food and drink out PDQ some seem to take an age (all airlines)

not sure if LGW has a gordon ramsey or a F & Masons airside where you can buy carry on meals/picnic boxes but frankly i would def take some grub with u

ExXB
15th Dec 2017, 08:12
Thanks rog747. I always travel with glucose tablets to avoid a hypo. But I always prefer a meal, albeit meager, to scoffing glucose.

The challenge with both inflight catering and airport shops is your choice is either mostly carbohydrates (sandwiches) or almost none (salads). However for 44 years I have learned to cope.

1DC
15th Dec 2017, 10:45
Mrs 1DC is type 2 and only takes insulin morning and evening, but even so she does like to eat after the insulin. When flying she always carries a box of energy/cereal biscuits as a fall back if the food is late.She always declares her biscuits at immigration/customs and never has a problem, even in places like Australia which has strict food rules.

ExXB
15th Dec 2017, 11:56
1DC. Type 2, which is much more common, is a different illness.

But for years I only took 1 insulin injection a day, later twice a day. Then I had to eat at fixed times to stop my blood sugar from falling..Now I have an injection of fast acting insulin for each and every meal or snack. Much finer control, but many more injections. 6 or 8 is not unusual.

1DC
15th Dec 2017, 13:18
ExXB.. Crikey I didn't realise the difference, I can see why you are concerned now..

ExXB
15th Dec 2017, 13:55
No longer concerned thanks to the PpRuNe community. A little knowledge helps immensely. Thanks again TFlyguy!