PDA

View Full Version : NASA special announcement on some mysterious news today

Pace
14th Dec 2017, 13:06
Nasa announcement live: Latest updates as space agency reveals mysterious news from its hunt for planets | The Independent - www.independent.co.uk
Nasa announcement live: Latest updates as space agency reveals mysterious news from its hunt for planets | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nasa-announcement-today-kepler-planets-aliens-proof-live-latest-updates-space-telescope-a8109161.html)

NASA is to make a rare special announcement on something it has discovered today
Maybe that long cigar shaped object which could be a space ship ?
Or something else

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2017, 13:11
If it involves a flying sleigh pulled by reindeer and piloted by a fat, white bearded bloke in red, I've heard about it years ago.

gemma10
14th Dec 2017, 16:48
So the cigar is heading straight for us. Bye everybody. Luv you all!

G-CPTN
14th Dec 2017, 16:57
and thanks for all the fish . . .

ethicalconundrum
14th Dec 2017, 17:13
I'm the only one seeing a Pink Floyd theme at work?

Have a Cigar.

Welcome - to the machine.

DSOM.

treadigraph
14th Dec 2017, 17:19
Meddle?

Or the weather when anything interesting is going on in the sky: Obscured by Clouds

clareprop
14th Dec 2017, 17:20
It will be news that a telescope might have seen a lump of rock 10m light yrs away that, if all the planets were aligned and 4000 quarks disappeared into a black hole, could support life in the past or future, at a microbial level. Oh, and it shows evidence of water, canals or icy things....possibly.

vctenderness
14th Dec 2017, 18:41
I reckon they have discovered a huge asteroid that is going to smash into earth and wipe out all life.

They are going to explain it is as a result of Brexit and Donald Trump!

troppo
14th Dec 2017, 19:46
*yawn*. A balmy 1800F on this third rock.
When and if NASA ever finds life, they won't be making the announcement. POTUS or the relevant world leader will take responsibility (and political mileage) for that.

Lonewolf_50
14th Dec 2017, 20:14
“These results demonstrate the enduring value of Kepler’s mission,” said Jessie Dotson, Kepler’s project scientist at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley. I ran this through the translator and it came out:
"Send more funding to the Kepler project."
That, I suspect, was a prime motivation for this special press release.

Chronus
14th Dec 2017, 20:22
Here is what NASA says:
"The newly-discovered Kepler-90i – a sizzling hot, rocky planet that orbits its star once every 14.4 days – was found using machine learning from Google. Machine learning is an approach to artificial intelligence in which computers “learn.” In this case, computers learned to identify planets by finding in Kepler data instances where the telescope recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. "

So its all down to AI and google, we are far too thick to learn like machines can from computers.
I wonder if this exo planet is full of sizzly hot gorgeous aliens, without their exoskeletons, rocking away all day and all night long. If it is I am selling up and booking a one way ticket on the bearded ones rocket space ship.

EGLD
14th Dec 2017, 21:14
lol, all that hype and it's a tedious advert for Google

Haven't they done this before? i.e. in the midst of excitement around something potentially significant, they call an important news conference, and announce something utterly trivial?

TURIN
15th Dec 2017, 11:12
Oh ye of little faith.

Nasa finds solar system filled with as many planets as our own | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nasa-announcement-today-space-agency-exoplanet-latest-google-artificial-intelligence-a8111256.html)

cattletruck
15th Dec 2017, 11:23
I thought the story was about them discovering a 200m long rock heading our way that *looks* like a spaceship after a couple of hundred million light years on the odometer.

G-CPTN
15th Dec 2017, 12:51
"The first star with as many planets as our own sun"

is a bold statement . . .

EGLD
15th Dec 2017, 13:28
Oh ye of little faith.

Nasa finds solar system filled with as many planets as our own | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nasa-announcement-today-space-agency-exoplanet-latest-google-artificial-intelligence-a8111256.html)

sorry but *yawn*

this announcement would've passed by completely unnoticed if they hadn't capitalized on people's interest in a 400m long 900,000mph spaceship zipping through our solar system

Octane
15th Dec 2017, 21:33
Whatever it is, it's orbit takes it very close to the sun. If inhabited by "aliens" they'll burn to a crisp...

Ascend Charlie
15th Dec 2017, 22:58
Whatever it is, it's orbit takes it very close to the sun. If inhabited by "aliens" they'll burn to a crisp...

Obviously, they will go at night.

B Fraser
16th Dec 2017, 09:32
I thought the story was about them discovering a 200m long rock heading our way that *looks* like a spaceship after a couple of hundred million light years on the odometer.

It looks more like the captain's log to me. Boy, that must have made his eyes water :eek:

cattletruck
16th Dec 2017, 12:00
Apparently this story has humble origins with the Google AI engineer having a hobby in astronomy. When he learnt that NASA telescopes had amassed too much data for humans to process, and that the examination of that data fell to experts who would try to pick the most likely bits of interest, he cold called someone at NASA and by luck was welcomed into the fraternity and got the opportunity to apply his trade to this problem with stunning results - the discovery of other planets orbiting their own suns.

TURIN
17th Dec 2017, 20:16
sorry but *yawn*

this announcement would've passed by completely unnoticed if they hadn't capitalized on people's interest in a 400m long 900,000mph spaceship zipping through our solar system

Really?

The probability of other solar systems not unlike ours has just dropped dramatically.

Bit more interesting than another dead rock (for that is what it is) heading for the sun.

But each to their own.

G-CPTN
17th Dec 2017, 20:27
The probability of other solar systems not unlike ours has just dropped dramatically.

Can you quantify that probability when the Universe is infinite?

Is it now twice as likely?

hiflymk3
17th Dec 2017, 21:33

Maybe they are asbestos based and won't feel a thing.

But if we are carbon based when did we get burned?

grateful_pax
18th Dec 2017, 13:03
Can you quantify that probability when the Universe is infinite?

Is it now twice as likely?

until they found that star system that probability was 0
now we know it's definitely above 0

so, technically it is infinite times more likely

ShyTorque
18th Dec 2017, 19:56
Surely, the probability has always been the same. Opinion has changed, that's all.

FakePilot
18th Dec 2017, 20:04
Apparently this story has humble origins with the Google AI engineer having a hobby in astronomy. When he learnt that NASA telescopes had amassed too much data for humans to process, and that the examination of that data fell to experts who would try to pick the most likely bits of interest, he cold called someone at NASA and by luck was welcomed into the fraternity and got the opportunity to apply his trade to this problem with stunning results - the discovery of other planets orbiting their own suns.

Oh come on, my stomach check valve just failed.

cattletruck
19th Dec 2017, 09:34
Perhaps more cause for a tummy upset... he's orstralian.

After Aussie's AI spots two new worlds, scientists call it 'future of astronomy' (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/after-aussies-ai-spots-two-new-worlds-scientists-call-it-future-of-astronomy-20171215-h056bg.html)