PDA

View Full Version : Fox sells Sky to Disney.

ORAC
14th Dec 2017, 12:08
Fox has sold all its TV and firm assets to Disney - Including Sky TV.

Now it really is a Mickey Mouse outfit.....

Mechta
15th Dec 2017, 00:13
Is Fox Donald Ducked?

RAT 5
15th Dec 2017, 10:22
Does that mean we can expect Sky to recover much of the Sports it's lost to BT? Subs have gone up, quantity & quality have gone down.

Sallyann1234
15th Dec 2017, 17:23
Does that mean we can expect Sky to recover much of the Sports it's lost to BT? Subs have gone up, quantity & quality have gone down.
The competition between media companies for sports broadcasting rights is insane.
It pumps up the money paid to players to ridiculous levels, and has to be paid for by subscribers who need their TV sports fix.

If you stopped paying the subs, you wouldn't be feeding the monster and it might just starve.

G-CPTN
15th Dec 2017, 17:51
If you stopped paying the subs, you wouldn't be feeding the monster and it might just starve.

How many people (of whatever income level) consider that Sky TV is an essential necessity?

chevvron
15th Dec 2017, 19:36
How many people (of whatever income level) consider that Sky TV is an essential necessity?

We certainly don't.
On the rare occasions we decide to watch Sky, (Barcelona vs Real Madrid) we have a NowTV box we can plug in temporarily and pay 6.99p
If we wanted to see this normally it would mean a minimum 12 month contract and mandatory subscription to a Sky Entertainment package as well as Sky Sports. I've lost touch with their pricings but I bet it would be about 50 per month.

ORAC
25th Apr 2018, 16:37
https://www.ft.com/content/d511a740-4881-11e8-8ee8-cae73aab7ccb

Sky withdraws Fox bid recommendation after Comcast makes offer

Sky has withdrawn its recommendation of a bid from Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox after Comcast made a formal 12.50-a-share offer that values the pan-European media company at 22bn.

Sky ushered in the pay-television era when it was launched by Mr Murdoch in 1989 but has become a pawn in a global media power struggle between Comcast, the US’s largest cable group, and Fox. Waiting in the wings is Walt Disney, the world’s largest media company, which has separately agreed a $66bn deal last year to acquire most of Fox’s entertainment assets — including its 39 per cent stake in Sky.

Mr Murdoch’s hopes of acquiring the Sky shares not already owned by Fox were dealt a blow when the independent committee formed to consider the offer, worth 10.75 a share, withdrew its recommendation of the deal. A “co-operation agreement” between Sky and Fox has also been terminated by the committee, which means Fox will no longer be obliged to pay a 200m break fee.

Fox said in a statement that it remained “committed” to its offer for Sky, adding that it was “considering its options”......

charliegolf
25th Apr 2018, 16:53
We certainly don't.
On the rare occasions we decide to watch Sky, (Barcelona vs Real Madrid) we have a NowTV box we can plug in temporarily and pay 6.99p
If we wanted to see this normally it would mean a minimum 12 month contract and mandatory subscription to a Sky Entertainment package as well as Sky Sports. I've lost touch with their pricings but I bet it would be about 50 per month.

You can have Sky Sports for a month. (Well you could the last time I needed it for the SIL.)

CG