PDA

View Full Version : Bar at bottom of Google screen

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2017, 10:41
So annoying and it seems one can use Adblocker but the filter method seems rather complex.

Has anyone found a safe way to get rid of the :mad: thing?

Just as an aside: having thought I might look at Chrome, My FF 57.02 is working okay so resisted the temptation - this is probably good as I now read people spitting nails about 'suggestions' filling their screens and they can't turn them off. Just curious about this.

andytug
13th Dec 2017, 10:43
Try Malwarebytes (download via Malwarebytes.org). Good at shifting unwanted stuff like this (browser helper objects, unwanted redirects, etc).

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2017, 10:46
I'll have a look, ta. But is the free version enough for actions like that? He asked poverty-strickenly.

andytug
13th Dec 2017, 10:50
Yes - the paid for version just adds automatic timed scans and stuff like that. When you install the free one it gives you 14 days trial of the full one anyway (then nags you to pay for it, just ignore that). Been using it free for years.

Jet II
13th Dec 2017, 13:14
Bar at bottom of Google screen

What bar? :confused:

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2017, 13:37
Google is my home screen. Just the search bar and nothing else . . . until now.

FF new tab does not call the google screen and I keep a Bookmark just to reinstate that.* In fact, apart from the first Home Screen call, there's just a FF emblem top left. So it would definitely be a google intrusion, albeit onto their own page. Their setting haven't revealed anything useful and I guess that's why folk on forums are spitting nails.

*If there's a way to open the google screen with every new tab I'd like to know.

https://www.google.co.uk/ is all that's in the Bookmark.

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2017, 13:51
The bar settings say that if you sign in, you'll get more options etc., but I can't see one jot of difference having done that.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time on this, but it's not about the need to have it gone, it just becomes a challenge. Remember the early DOS days, and long nights. :8

PJD1
13th Dec 2017, 17:49
I'm not sure what "bar" you are referring to? If you mean the slightly darker grey area where it says United Kingdom and has the links for settings etc. then this is an intrinsic part of the web page, you can't remove it. Can't imagine why you would want or need to? It in no way interferes with typing something into the search box which is surely the only thing you are ever going to do on the Google home page?

As for opening new tabs with Google (or any other home page you choose) there is a Firefox add-on called "New Tab Override" that enables you to do this.

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2017, 23:02
I'm not sure why either. A clear screen has become a fetish.

Firefox add-on called "New Tab Override"

Thanks for that.

KelvinD
14th Dec 2017, 07:25
Why not search with "duckduckgo" (https://duckduckgo.com/)? It doesn't store your searches and results, which means you don't get a page full of advertising based on your previous searches as happens with Google.

Jet II
14th Dec 2017, 12:00
I recently started using Duckduckgo after many years fo Google - its quite refreshing not to be bombarded with ads

Loose rivets
14th Dec 2017, 13:07
That's interesting. I'll give that a go.

I did go into properties of the United Kingdom grey strip and deleted it. The bar was gone when I closed the pop-up screen but returned next Google call.:(

It couldn't have been that easy or one of the other compulsive disorder people would have found it.