PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating BAe archive, Jag and Tornado spinning and JP trials

NutLoose
12th Dec 2017, 01:33
After the Jag on the motorway footage.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b0SUveAh7k8

newt
12th Dec 2017, 01:54
Very interesting! We taxied the Jaguar on the grass at Bruggen and that was enough for me!! Also landed on the autobahn and did a turnaround! No major problem as the Germans built straight bits with a nice rest area at each end!

NutLoose
12th Dec 2017, 07:19
Newt, the grass landing / arrival is on this one at 2 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgVRml-dKU

RodfjH
18th Dec 2017, 11:25
I seem to remember having fun on the grass at Boscombe Down one day when I got stuck with SASO in the back!

NickB
18th Dec 2017, 12:42
Back 20+ years ao I definitely watched a Jag landing at EGDM with just one burner plugged in - can anyone explain why that would be done? Some odd trial or a practice etc?
Always thought it was an odd one - now I know a Jag needed burners and the curvature of the earth to take off, but to land...?!!

Mogwi
18th Dec 2017, 16:01
Back 20+ years ao I definitely watched a Jag landing at EGDM with just one burner plugged in - can anyone explain why that would be done? Some odd trial or a practice etc?
Always thought it was an odd one - now I know a Jag needed burners and the curvature of the earth to take off, but to land...?!!

I am sure that an ex-pussy driver will confirm but I believe that hot and high, a Jag on one donk would only go downwards with the gear and flap down. Still better engine-out performance than a Harrier though!

sharpend
19th Dec 2017, 14:27
We taxied on grass at Coltishall, but did not dare to get behind another Jaguar. Have a look at the clip of the Jaguar taking off. I doubt if they could use that bit of grass again.

Background Noise
19th Dec 2017, 15:35
.. and given the likelihood of the kit dumping on a relatively firm landing, I can't believe he had any kit by the time it got airborne!

Vendee
19th Dec 2017, 18:20
.. and given the likelihood of the kit dumping on a relatively firm landing, I can't believe he had any kit by the time it got airborne!

Oh yes, those immortal and frequently used words...... "the NAVWASS has dumped" :E

Alber Ratman
20th Dec 2017, 19:13
The use of reheat in landing a Jaguar with only one good engine was found out very early the flight development trials of the Jaguar, well the first two A prototypes having accidents / close shaves with undershoot approaches on single engines. Jimmy Dell whom saved A04 from the fate suffered by A03 by selecting full burner to "hop the fence"was shocked by the lack of performance in single engine max dry emergencies. It was found that min burner settings (30% boost) was way too much to fill the performance hole , so part throttle reheat was devised to fill the gap.. Adour 102 engines onwards. Only the first French frames ever flew with production 101 engines. Of course PTR was used in other Jaguar proceedures such as AAR. Reheat on an Adour in the UK? Next year I hope on something I am helping with.