PDA

View Full Version : As a sprog I was a telly-mender, but now . . .

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2017, 23:48
a friend has a panasonic tx-37lzd81 which is bust, and no one near here mends tellies.

I just can't believe it. Big-ish telly with built in dish thingy and big sound.

Throw it away! Can't be serious, surely?

I phoned a nearby company that was started by one of my contemporaries. They used to have a large workshop and trained bods, but not anymore.

Anyone have any technical knowledge of this set? I see folk advertise on ebay etc., for boards for it, but a fat lot of use if one does not know what's wrong.

The screen glows, but does not show any sign of other life. No menu etc. There is some sound, but only via a satellite box.

On start it flashes green rapidly. It flashes in response to the remote. That's it folks. :-(

Last time I was at another house - same make, I called same company. Told them six flashes = stuck in standby. R107 US or near that. Soldered it in, and away it went. They grumbled, saying the maker stipulated the price for the repair and it wasn't worth it. A clue perhaps as to why they stopped repairs.

Metro man
12th Dec 2017, 00:19
From the dates of reviews found with Google, I'm assuming the TV is over 5 years old. At this age it's a dinosaur and probably not worth fixing unless the repair cost involved is very low.

I recently binned a 3 year old Panasonic 3D flat screen as the quote to fix it was more than a new one would have cost.

I have a Samsung which is still going strong after 6 years and an LG 4K around 2 years old. Korean seems to be the way to go these days regarding value for money but some of the Chinese brands are catching up rapidly and definitely offer a lot for the asking price.

Tankertrashnav
12th Dec 2017, 00:30
Some years ago when I first acquired a smartbox I had a phase of going through the high numbered channels and watching programmes I hadnt seen in years. One day I was watching a 20 year old edition of Bullseye and "Bully's special prize" was the very make and model of TV I was watching it on!

I still think of my current non-smart, non 3D flat screen set which I bought from Comet not long before they went bust in 2012 as my "new" TV. I very much doubt if it will be still going in 15 years time (or me for that matter :()

Loose rivets
12th Dec 2017, 00:38
Yep, just come back to the problem while trying to make meself sleep. One company has an inverter board for 19 quid. Doubt it's that, but without a few test point voltages, I'm working blind. Needless to say, most used board folk don't accept returns. One saying we don't help you to fix your telly free of charge. I can see their point.

I'll perhaps open it up and see if there's any burnt R's or fat C's. Just thought. Where do you bin something this size?

Nice lady had a Mercedes they told her to scrap. It was a smashing little 5 door and had a secondary air fan destroyed cos the relay was welded on. Nearly a grand to fix. 30 quid on ebay and 9 quid for the relay. The tough bit was finding the relay. She called me when the telly bust. - wish I had other attributes that make pretty ladies call me. :uhoh:

Hydromet
12th Dec 2017, 01:49
Have you tried switching it off and on?:E

I've sometimes found that wobbling components while power is on can locate a loose connection, but I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs there.

meadowrun
12th Dec 2017, 02:11
Try sending the manufacturer an email? Ask them what they think the problem is - not the address of a local repair business.
Try giving it a really good whack.

UniFoxOs
12th Dec 2017, 07:38
Is the blinking a code?

https://www.brainchamber.com/panasonic-tv-blink-codes/

strake
12th Dec 2017, 08:09
Living as I do, in deepest SW France, I soon learnt that I had to become a jack-of-all-trades (master of none) to get anything done. TV repairing was added to my list a while ago. It goes without saying, 'fiddlin' wiv 'lectrics is danjerus'. In addition, your mates TV may be exceptionally unique but if you/he want to have a shot at it.....:
If you open the back, you will
probably find a direct satellite feed for Freesat which was unique at the time on this TV. You will also find a power supply board and a main AV board.
You could change each of those until you find the fault or just replace the lot for about 60. The sat input is a TNPA4661, the PSU, TNPA4677 and the main AV is a TNPH0756. If they are like other tv's they will simply attach with ribbon connecters but you can check this when you open the tv.
A search in Google on those numbers will turn up a number of suppliers on ebay and elsewhere.

jolihokistix
12th Dec 2017, 08:15
And this is why I do not look forward to the day when everything on my self-driving car, and all of the clever options, are electronic.

ian16th
12th Dec 2017, 08:25
21st Century economics

It is cheaper to have a 3rd world people build a new one, than have 1st world people repair an old one.

This currently applies to all electronic and electrical goods, soon coming to all your vehicles.

NutLoose
12th Dec 2017, 08:30
You say the screen is glowing, turn it on hold a torch to it and can you see any image? if you can its probably the backlight or the inverter if its an LCD screen as it needs a light behind the screen to illuminate the image... think like a stain glass window.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/819488/Panasonic-Tx-32lzd81.html

also a suggestion on here including updating the firmware

https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=197622

THIS IS THE FIX
dry joints on the pcb resolder as many as you can
make sure tv is clicking when you press power button.
SIMPLES

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2017, 09:20
I had an LG with a 5-year warranty from that Better Off electronics retailer. We then upgraded to a cheap 55in TV and moved the LG to the Conservatory. It didn't work.

Worked out that in the living room it had been using a Freeview box. In its new location it relied on its built in RF Rx. 'Engineer' duly arrived and correctly diagnosed it was u/s. No shit Sherlock. After a week they confirmed it was unrepairable. Shiney new Panasonic with new 5 year guarantee delivered. Happy Customer.

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2017, 09:23
40 years back our valve TV started to fail. After several visits by TV man, when he knew I was reasonably able, he gave me a box of valves and these kept it going.

finncapt
12th Dec 2017, 10:26
Not neccessarily your problem.

Open it up, instructions possibly on net but most are similar.

Have a look and see if any electrolytic capacitors have failed - bulge out when it happens.

Replace same, cost pennies from component suppliers (Maplins?).

I've repaired 3 or 4 flat screen monitors, various symptoms, by doing that.

vapilot2004
12th Dec 2017, 10:29
Modern electronics use surface mount components and circuit boards with multiple layers of conductors, all of which make it extremely difficult to service at the component level. So, we are left with replacing large, expensive chunks, which if not covered under warranty, often end up costing close to the price of a new unit.

It is cheaper to have a 3rd world people build a new one, than have 1st world people repair an old one.

I recall my grandparents lamenting such things and referring to this practice as living in a "throwaway society".

Loose rivets
12th Dec 2017, 10:53
Gosh, thanks chaps. Tanker, despite timing you weren't there when I answered and there's a post missing. Most mysterious.

The fast pulse may well have a missing ON or two. I'll see if she can count fast.:ooh:

One bloke on one of the links talks of a 900uf Cap popped.

Thanks strake, that could come in very handy.

Torch? I think, but not sure, that there's enough bright light seen through cracks to indicate back lighting. I'll check, thanks.

When I was a young FO, I got me a Dynatron telly in a posh box. I also got a matching speakers and Tanburg cabinet. The Hi Fi cabinet has real walnut under cheap lacquer, but I French polished the lid and it looked fantastic. Never did the rest.

The Dynatron would go wrong on a regular basis. Usually the Line time base valve load resistor. Hybrid, it was, with valves and transistors. I used to leave the soldering iron and some tools, back loose and no chassis bolts. Could have it running 10 mins after coming back from a flight. Thinks TV cabinet did fetch 20 quid when I sold up 28 years later and the Tanburg is destined for a charity shop.

Sallyann1234
12th Dec 2017, 11:03
Not just TVs.
Our kettle has a fine mesh spout filter, which split. Found a replacement on line, 14. A new kettle is 25.
Now using the kettle minus the filter, until another bit fails.

vapilot2004
12th Dec 2017, 11:17
Now using the kettle minus the filter, until another bit fails.

As long as she heats and holds water, serviceable.

Sallyann1234
12th Dec 2017, 11:35
As long as she heats and holds water, serviceable.
Naughty! := :}

Tone
12th Dec 2017, 12:01
I to started out working life mending televisions. Back in those days, before colour was invented, sets were a tad unreliable and were therefore designed to be repaired down to component level. To aid this manufacturers issued service manuals; although al you ever needed was a circuit diagram. The vast majority of sets these days see out their lives without failure. Design nowadays is all about cost reduction & inclusion of customer experience features. In many cases the build methods used preclude any sensible service functions (iphone batteries etc)
It's always worth looking to see if you can see an obvious fault - after that it becomes a bite the bullet issue.
Do I yearn for a return for the old days when TV repairing could get you as dirty as coal mining? Not a bit.

goudie
12th Dec 2017, 12:03
I've always bought Sony TV's.First colour tv was a Trinitron.Subsequent ones never went wrong just gave them away when I updated. Had the current one for about seven years now.
I bought a kettle from Tesco's, not reduced, for a fiver about three years ago. Still heats up water just like the ones costing five time as much!

ian16th
12th Dec 2017, 12:42
I've always bought Sony TV's.First colour tv was a Trinitron.Subsequent ones never went wrong just gave them away when I updated. Had the current one for about seven years now.
I bought a kettle from Tesco's, not reduced, for a fiver about three years ago. Still heats up water just like the ones costing five time as much!
I, a former radar fitter, am also a Sony fan. But my 1st colour TV was a Phillips G8 in the UK, Trinitron tubes were very limited in size in the early days.

I also have had a Sony TV fail, a Wega model, in fact it failed twice. The second time I binned it, as LCD sets were down to a sensible price by then and HDTV had been invented.

I bought a Sony Bravia, been going strong for about 8 or 9 years.

But next time I need a replacement, I have a problem, Sony have simply stopped marketing in South Africa! LG & Samsung rule the local market alongside various Chinese makes.

NutLoose
12th Dec 2017, 12:46
My old late mum had a Hotpoint twintub ( remember those) that she loved and used for about 20 plus years, now I am a great believer if man built something, then even if you are not supposed to be able to, man can take it apart and rebuild it again...
She used to say I she was having problems with XYZ on the washing machine when I went home on leave etc and I used to pop into a hotpoint shop in town and order parts for her, I regularly would be able to rebuild bits of it with spares obtained from hotpoint using the minimum of tools, I stripped and rebuilt the motor, the pumps and various valves etc, even though it was starting to get rust spots through the paint here and there, the damned thing just chugged on regardless, happily bereft of any fancy electronics gubbins washing clothes and drying them...

My TV have also been and still are Sony.

Molemot
12th Dec 2017, 13:09
There was a tendency for manufacturers to use cheap duff electrolytics some years back. The story I heard was that the formulation of the electrolyte had been obtained by industrial espionage and used by another manufacturer...who got it slightly wrong. The ends of the caps bulge outwards...any like that need changing, it's a few pence and a bit of craft skill with the iron and the solder sucker, anyone can do it. The big capacitors on the power supply are the major failure points. I've mended seberal large screen TVs this way, and they stay mended too!!

RAT 5
12th Dec 2017, 13:16
Check 'exchange & mart' or e-bay for similar model. Cannibalise it if you can, or just watch that one if it works. Should be cheap enough.

Sallyann1234
12th Dec 2017, 13:34
I've always had Sony TVs too. The present one is a 'smart' TV using android, which I thought would be useful for running various android apps. It is, but the android needs updates and frequently crashes, requiring a laborious reboot in the middle of a programme. If this doesn't get fixed soon I will bin it and look at other makes.

ian16th
12th Dec 2017, 13:56
I've always had Sony TVs too. The present one is a 'smart' TV using android, which I thought would be useful for running various android apps. It is, but the android needs updates and frequently crashes, requiring a laborious reboot in the middle of a programme. If this doesn't get fixed soon I will bin it and look at other makes.
Having a dumb but servicable TV, I'm considering an Android smart phone as a 'front end'.

This is a market that I have never ventured into, but I am thinking of buying a Samsung J7 Prime.

Any reasons why I should or shouldn't buy that model?

SLF
12th Dec 2017, 15:09
Yup, I had a Sony that I was reluctant to bin. There's only about 3 boards in them, bought all 3 on ebay for abt 100, swapped them one at a time until it worked and flogged the other two. Cost of repair abt 40 and some postage.

I work in IT and that's the way the current generation of "engineers" work :)

Good Luck... SLF

goudie
12th Dec 2017, 15:13
I have an 'Acer Android ' tablet and although more convenient than my laptop it isn't very robust, often freezing or just very slow. Can't speak for smart phones. My phone cost a tenner!. Rarely use it.

SLF, substitution of components was usually the quickest way to fix a problem when I worked in IT.

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2017, 17:14
My Smartphone failed, beyond economic repair. Bought replacement. Floigged u.s phone on eBay for 30% of new one. Madness.

yellowtriumph
12th Dec 2017, 19:45
a friend has a panasonic tx-37lzd81 which is bust, and no one near here mends tellies.

I just can't believe it. Big-ish telly with built in dish thingy and big sound.

Throw it away! Can't be serious, surely?

I phoned a nearby company that was started by one of my contemporaries. They used to have a large workshop and trained bods, but not anymore.

Anyone have any technical knowledge of this set? I see folk advertise on ebay etc., for boards for it, but a fat lot of use if one does not know what's wrong.

The screen glows, but does not show any sign of other life. No menu etc. There is some sound, but only via a satellite box.

On start it flashes green rapidly. It flashes in response to the remote. That's it folks. :-(

Last time I was at another house - same make, I called same company. Told them six flashes = stuck in standby. R107 US or near that. Soldered it in, and away it went. They grumbled, saying the maker stipulated the price for the repair and it wasn't worth it. A clue perhaps as to why they stopped repairs.

Join this forum and ask your question there:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

vapilot2004
12th Dec 2017, 20:18
The Hotpoint story reminded me of a freezer my parents had. The thing was big enough to fit several bodies (or one well-fed American), had a temperature needle on the lid, and a D cell bell to warn when the power went out.

Built in the 1950s by a tractor company, International Harvester, it was old when they bought it from an aunt's estate. Gave them over 30 years of reliable service until one day mother noticed the temperature was on the high side. Father poked around and it started purring again but mother said time to go. A family friend bought it used, supposedly burnished some electrical contacts, and last I heard, the old beastie is still chilling food.

http://i65.tinypic.com/21cv9ds.jpg

One of our ground engineers with a background in avionics loves to say, "they don't make 'em like they used to... thank g-d."

Naughty! := :}

Ah, well, whistle optional then.;)

ricardian
12th Dec 2017, 21:11
I have an old fridge in the garage, handy for keeping bulk supplies of beer cool. Purchased in 1982 from Tesco in Scarborough. Runs smoothly but all the instructions on the back are in Cyrillic. It survived a move from Scarborough to Tewkesbury, back to Scarborough and finally up here to Orkney

Loose rivets
12th Dec 2017, 23:47
Huh! Mr triumph, I thought that sounded familiar. Put in Top Anode* and got a new password and back in business. Trouble is, even that Panasonic is not quite vintage.

It was a funny site. In its embryo stage I suspect the boss would come home from a day's work and moderate the lot. Then I joined. Folk liked my ramble about the Grundig Gainsbrough, but 1,000 word posts were kind of frowned on - to put it mildly. I received a 'Friendly Warning' when I'd been on the forum all of two days. :} Bit like my ice skating really. I got nicked for speeding my first ever time - by a man with a woolly hat and a whistle in his mouth.

*(radio menders from the valve age will know the significance of this - wet finger signal injection could bite :eek: )

The yarn. Quite funny, though been posted before - more than once.:O

I worked for a Clacton T/V shop for a while...a fairly short while. They had taken the plunge, and invested in a Grundig Gainsborough. Long, modern, Super swish thing with record player in one end and tape in'tother. It was for sale at 200 quid. (A Ferguson? with KT66s was about 70 then.) I was asked to carry a load of smoothing irons, toasters and what have you, to the workshop. Grumble - mumble - moan.

I dropped on of the irons onto the lid of the Gainsborough...right under the nose of the manager. Not long after this, I was unemployed.

Now it happened that about this time I was pals with a chap and his dad that had started a caravan camp. Dance halls, bars and all that new post war cheerfulness. I'd never been in a house before that had carpets that reached the walls. I was sitting on a third floor party room. (this is significant) wasting my unemployed day, chatting to the dad. My former employer's van pulls up on the road waaaaaay down below. Out gets a man I knew, my old manager, and the Gainsborough. During the 40 minutes that it took them to struggle up the stairs with the vast machine, I'd worked up enough mischief to suppress all my natural decency . . .

The sequel was, that I brought the contents of my pal's house for 500 quid, and ended up owning the old Grundig, dent an all. After cutting out a box full of paper condensers in the vast tone circuits, it still kept giving trouble, so I took a wood saw to it. The ends became my speakers for the very first modular amp and tuner I owned. Cloth thrown over the cut edges left them looking Okay-ish.

Metro man
13th Dec 2017, 02:19
I wouldn't buy another smart TV, a dumb one with a Google Chromecast or an android box attached is a better proposition.

Remember when CRT displays went flat instead of bulging outwards ? Now the latest TVs curve inwards rather than outwards. Back in 1994 I saw my first flat panel TV in London's Tottenham Court road, it cost 30 000, yes 30 000. Now you can get one in a supermarket for a few hundred.