PDA

View Full Version : Cheggers dead....

flash8
11th Dec 2017, 14:40
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/11/keith-chegwin-tv-presenter-dies-aged-60

A bit of a shock really.. although I know he liked the odd drink.... although it seems unrelated...

G-CPTN
11th Dec 2017, 14:44
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_pulmonary_fibrosis).

clareprop
11th Dec 2017, 15:08
In my opinion, he was a kind and gentle man with a heart of gold who some of today's 'celebrities' (and keyboard warriors) might do well to try and emulate.

G-CPTN
11th Dec 2017, 15:09
Eulogies on BBC Radio Five Live.

Clare Prop
11th Dec 2017, 15:12
Sad, he did some great work with Ricky Gervais and Warwick Davis in recent years mostly taking the piss out of himself

Mike Flynn
11th Dec 2017, 16:57
Wow..we both joined the same radio station at the same time in Liverpool in the 70's.A really nice guy and Janice Longs brother.

Andy_S
11th Dec 2017, 17:27
Does anyone remember The Naked Jungle? I wonder how much he subsequently regretted that.

I did like Swap Shop as a kid.

RIP Cheggers.

gingernut
11th Dec 2017, 20:20
Loved Chegger's.

If the death certificate say's "idiopathic" it generally means "no-one knows."

Rest in Peace Mr C.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Dec 2017, 20:22
Cheggers was seemingly one of those entertainers who managed to entertain without ensuing scandal, which made his skits with Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' all the more hilarious as he played the opposite. By tragic chance, a family member passed away this last weekend from a rare form of IPF, and this despite having had a successful double lung transplant only 3 years ago. Apparently the medics involved in this speciality have little idea as to the causes, and to this end the deceased has donated their heart and lungs to the research dept of the hospital.

RIP to both of the deceased.

chevvron
11th Dec 2017, 20:33
I remember him in a TV ad for 'Marathon' bars (now called 'Snickers') but apart from that everything else he did was pretty forgettable, especially when he was so desparate for a TV show he actually appeared naked.
Sorry if I annoy some people by saying that but it's just the way I see it.

clareprop
11th Dec 2017, 20:40
but apart from that everything else he did was pretty forgettable

One of two things. Either your memory's gone or you just weren't there, pal.
For kids and parents of the '80's, he was kind, funny and safe.

Sorry if I annoy you by saying it.

strake
11th Dec 2017, 20:42
Sorry if I annoy you by saying it.

Chapeau!, Clare Prop :D

jez d
12th Dec 2017, 09:09
He had a long battle with alcoholism. I remember watching an interview where he described the depths he had fallen to, when he'd start each day with a litre bottle of vodka for breakfast. As with everything else I saw him in, he was entirely open, honest, self-deprecating and gentle. RIP

anotherthing
12th Dec 2017, 11:14
Cheggers Goes 'pop'

goudie
12th Dec 2017, 11:29
My kids !oved him. He came to our village fete and he was like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, he was excellent with the kids. Annoying that the usual suspects feel the need to post the negative stuff
RIP Cheggs

ORAC
12th Dec 2017, 19:03
A celebrity famous for being famous. Increasingly the norm in our social media drenched world.

Blues&twos
12th Dec 2017, 19:19
Actually famous for being on the radio and heavily involved in childrens TV since the 1970s.
Decent bloke by all accounts.

G-CPTN
12th Dec 2017, 19:31
He was a popular and successful children's entertainer who provided fun and laughter for many who are young adults today.

jindabyne
12th Dec 2017, 19:53
Agree, ORAC

NRU74
12th Dec 2017, 20:51
......and Pulmonary Fibrosis is a really terrible disease to suffer. Only possible salvation is a lung transplant apparently.
Dear friend of mine died this year from the same affliction.

ExRAFRadar
13th Dec 2017, 10:32
A celebrity famous for being famous. Increasingly the norm in our social media drenched world.

He put some hours into the work he obviously enjoyed. He bought a smile to the faces of many children on his Saturday morning show's and I admit I grinned once or twice at his carry on's.

The quote above seems a tad bitter ORAC. But it's your opinion and as valid as any other.

I just happen to disagree.

On a tangent note I am aware that the last 2 years or so of celebrity deaths have started to reach into my history. Singers and Actors I grew up with passing on. Bells tolling and all that.

ORAC
13th Dec 2017, 11:18
Nothing bitter about it, just an observation. There are lots of actors who have appeared on children’s TV over the years, I don’t think he stood out particularly. I am sure he was a wonderful person and everyone enjoyed his company. But increasingly there are those you ask, what are they famous for? And the answer isn’t that they did something spectacular or won some major award, just that they appeared on TV a lot.

ExRAFRadar
14th Dec 2017, 11:44
Hmm, so how would you define famous?

By what criteria would you allow a person to have their death announced on the news for example?

Sir David Attenborough makes fantastic documentaries, is a 'Sir' and has a list of abbreviations to his name. I am sure he will be remembered in print and Television.

I assume in your view he is worthy of that remembrance?

You seem to be assigning some kind of scale that needs to be adhered to.

And your missing what I think is a very important point.

The Rise of the internet and multi channel TV.

This has given birth to unbelievable crap, fantastic coverage of world events and as a learning tool has imparted a wealth of knowledge unparalleled in Human history.

Cheggers and the like worked in an environment when we only had 3 channels, ITV, BBC1 and BBC2.

To 'get into TV' during that period must have needed determination, drive and a good dose of luck. I also think it helped if you went to the right schools and University.

These days you can cement your head into a microwave and it makes the news. (3,848,939 people watched the YouTube of this)

Anyway as I said before it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.