PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines

High Energy
11th Dec 2017, 11:18
Seeing SQ is hiring non locals as First Officers I'd like to know the average salary and breakdown. And what kind of allowances are paid? Terms/conditions?

Considering moving with my family as a long term career option. Currently 35yrs, 6500hrs TT and 2000hrs PIC 737NG. Don't fancy going down the China route.

FlyingChipmunk
12th Dec 2017, 07:39
you must be nuts if you're looking at SQ....just saying, no offence meant

High Energy
12th Dec 2017, 08:46

No offence taken, don't worry. I need to know what I'm getting into and what lies ahead. And as the job opening doesn't give me any info I need to fish here.

Got some PM's that say it's likey to be on local terms. Unfortunately what I was expecting. Not what I wanted to hear.

Lepo
12th Dec 2017, 20:50

I'm definitely curious about this statement. I genuinely thought SQ was a great employer.

What is so bad about this gig?

FlyingChipmunk
12th Dec 2017, 22:48
1)You wait 15-17yrs for command on the average. Currently long on Captains, that surely does not help.
2)Wages being rationalised to get closer to the LCC gigs, and they are almost similar already. Cost cutting on every aspect. Pilots are evil.
3)Expat terms. What is that?
4) Sinkers is the most expensive place to be in, and as the economy is now picking up, expect things to get worse

Yes it is a very very good company for Shareholders

good luck

parabellum
13th Dec 2017, 01:25
Pilots are evil.
Care to expand on that FlyingChipmonk?

HH Chan
13th Dec 2017, 13:36
Did they promise you command for DEFO? mmm..tats gonna piss the current FOs in SQ..

Jje003
27th Feb 2018, 10:40
Im also curious why not? Im currently building hours to go there asap.. My dad in law used to be headmechanic at sq e&m and vows it's the best company ever.. Especially for captains. I recently spoke to a captain and he said he was well over 140k sing dollar a year. So far my experience with Singaporeans is that they are reserved but really nice and kind once you get to know them..

Trash8mofo
28th Feb 2018, 02:31
[QUOTE=JI recently spoke to a captain and he said he was well over 140k sing dollar a year.[/QUOTE]

Is that supposed to be good? $105K USD per year flying a wide body? Try double that (take home not gross)

etops777
28th Feb 2018, 02:43
Is that supposed to be good? $105K USD per year flying a wide body? Try double that (take home not gross)

Its a lot more than that.

parabellum
2nd Mar 2018, 04:24
I was there as a captain on the B744 in 2001 and my take home was a lot, lot more than S$140,000 p.a. excluding housing, as it isn't paid anymore.

Ilyushin76
3rd Mar 2018, 06:32
Im also curious why not? Im currently building hours to go there asap.. My dad in law used to be headmechanic at sq e&m and vows it's the best company ever.. Especially for captains. I recently spoke to a captain and he said he was well over 140k sing dollar a year. So far my experience with Singaporeans is that they are reserved but really nice and kind once you get to know them..

Never knew before today South Asia paid well compared to SG. Our Narrow body captains make at least that much in most airlines here.

Heathrow Harry
3rd Mar 2018, 08:17
" my experience with Singaporeans is that they are reserved"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Compared to who?

Must be yanks and Aussies

fatbus
3rd Mar 2018, 09:47
If memory serves me correctly @ 20-22 K SG / month plus housing plus education.

wishiwasupthere
4th Mar 2018, 09:23
Can someone post a ballpark figure for FO? Surely the numbers given here are way off the mark??

Flyboysg
7th Mar 2018, 04:09
Why would you go to an airline with 15yr wait for command as an Fo?
Average FO Salary I heard is around 10k before tax and cpf.

bmw216gt
7th Mar 2018, 11:00
Why would you go to an airline with 15yr wait for command as an Fo?
Average FO Salary I heard is around 10k before tax and cpf.
Thought it is more? 12k?

Ghost_Rider737
7th Mar 2018, 13:46
I have done some research on the cost of living in Singapore.
You would need at least 7000 SGD NET per month. That's for a family of 4.

Anything less and it's not worth it unless you are currently jobless.

The current tax rate for non-residents is a flat rate of 15%. So if they pay 10k gross then you should clear 8500 SGD. that's reasonable.

sunnyday
8th Mar 2018, 00:57
Wow! What do you spend on for 7000sgd?

The current tax rate for non-residents is a flat rate of 15%. So if they pay 10k gross then you should clear 8500 SGD. that's reasonable.

Ghost_Rider737
8th Mar 2018, 04:31

I assume you would need a decent place to live. So rental would costs be around 3000 SGD for a 3 bedroom place. Transport , food, entertainment etc would take up the rest. Schooling?!??? Would set you back a few dollars as well.

HHChan
17th Mar 2018, 10:32

U can get a cheaper accom for 2500...

faheel
18th Mar 2018, 05:55
To get a command you would need to join on national terms...or change to national terms ie PR (permanent residency.) to get into the command pool...but 15 years is a big ask.
Couple that with a type rating bond...mine back in 2001 on 777 was $145000 sin dollars, so probably double that now..Unless you can get a bank guarantee and for that you would need to put up some sort of collateral.In my case I used my home .Singapore cadet bond back in 2001 was something like $600000 sgd, out of reach unless they got at least 2 guarantors. So if you are going in as a direct entry expat fo find out what the bond is, it runs for 5.5 years..or used to.

burnable gomi
19th Mar 2018, 05:37

I can’t imagine $7000/month being anywhere close to enough.

International schools: $30-40,000/year per kid. So 2 kids is about $6,000/month.

Housing: a townhouse or nice apartment with facilities for a family will run you $6,000+/month. Sure you could rent a 3 bed HDB for $2500-3000 but if you’re planning on moving your family for the long term do you really want to be seeking out the cheapest accommodation you can find all the time?

Car: Singapore is probably the most expensive car market in the world. Just the license to own a car will run you $50,000+. And that’s only a 10year license. You still need to buy the car, which is also expensive. $150,000 for a modest family car and 10year license. So that’s another $1250/month.

So far we have $13,250/month and you haven’t paid any bills, bought any food, insured or put gas in your car, signed your kids up for any after school activities, taken any holidays. Etc....

On an SQ captain salary ($20-22,000/month) a family of four could live a decent life but wouldn’t be saving anything. As an FO, forget it.

FlyingChipmunk
19th Mar 2018, 07:44
Spot on.
I think you underquoted on the car though:ouch:

..... and you forgot to mention costs for the Harley, flightie girlfriend on the side, dogs + vet bills, golf games once a week, whisky nights at Auld Alliance.....

I can’t imagine $7000/month being anywhere close to enough.

International schools: $30-40,000/year per kid. So 2 kids is about $6,000/month.

Housing: a townhouse or nice apartment with facilities for a family will run you $6,000+/month. Sure you could rent a 3 bed HDB for $2500-3000 but if you’re planning on moving your family for the long term do you really want to be seeking out the cheapest accommodation you can find all the time?

Car: Singapore is probably the most expensive car market in the world. Just the license to own a car will run you $50,000+. And that’s only a 10year license. You still need to buy the car, which is also expensive. $150,000 for a modest family car and 10year license. So that’s another $1250/month.

So far we have $13,250/month and you haven’t paid any bills, bought any food, insured or put gas in your car, signed your kids up for any after school activities, taken any holidays. Etc....

On an SQ captain salary ($20-22,000/month) a family of four could live a decent life but wouldn’t be saving anything. As an FO, forget it.

act700
20th Mar 2018, 02:40
wtf do you need a car for in Sing?! use that money on the girlfriend instead!!

Mogas
31st Mar 2018, 04:59
Guys!!! SIA, for an expat, yay or nay?!

HHChan
31st Mar 2018, 15:07

Are they taking in expats now??
FO or Capts?

bmw216gt
31st Mar 2018, 15:18
Thought they stopped this sometime ago??

Khoh
3rd Apr 2018, 01:49

Haven't heard that they are accepting expats again? Can anyone shed a light on this?

King on a Wing
3rd Apr 2018, 19:54
I believe they’re planning on scouting around for expat skippers over the next few weeks.
What with the trending 787-10 deliveries beginning almost at full trot. And nearly not enough bums to fill seats.
Let’s wait n watch.
The take home salary when I was employed with the company was around 24-25K SGD PM.
This included my housing. But I paid about 3k in taxes every month. All my kids education was looked after over and above this.
Had a super comfy life style and some change to spare.
One of the best gigs I ever worked for.
B777 Skipper.
All the best y’all

bringbackthe80s
4th Apr 2018, 07:11
I believe they’re planning on scouting around for expat skippers over the next few weeks.
What with the trending 787-10 deliveries beginning almost at full trot. And nearly not enough bums to fill seats.
Let’s wait n watch.
The take home salary when I was employed with the company was around 24-25K SGD PM.
This included my housing. But I paid about 3k in taxes every month. All my kids education was looked after over and above this.
B777 Skipper.
All the best y’all

Sorry just to get this right, you think Singapore Airlines mainline is about to open DEC recruitment?

bmw216gt
4th Apr 2018, 15:45
Let’s wait n watch.
B777 Skipper.
All the best y’all
Sorry dont think they are getting expats..

King on a Wing
7th Apr 2018, 02:50
Sorry just to get this right, you think Singapore Airlines mainline is about to open DEC recruitment?

Well, that’s what I heard. And reliably so.
However anything can happen in aviation as you’re all well aware.
So it’s basically a wait n watch game for now.
With greater optimism.
:O

Global Aviator
7th Apr 2018, 09:29
Exactly... MAS advertising for direct entry skippers on the 737.

Gate_15L
9th Apr 2018, 08:28
Anyone know what the going rate for a MAS 737 skipper is?

I m guessing it’s not a ex-pat contract...local terms?

King on a Wing
9th Apr 2018, 09:54
While on the subject, does anybody reliably know the t & c’s that Scoot is offering for its skippers on the Dreamliner.
Also wondering if a commuting roster pattern is possible?

illflysoon
16th Apr 2018, 12:19
Any update on the SIA cadet pilot recruitment? Any chance for an expat? Have they already started any interviews?

Caedus
24th Apr 2018, 12:52
Anyone has any info on the Direct Entry Second Officer posting? Salary? Conditions?

Primary Governor
7th Jul 2018, 15:58
Hi all,

So, I'm European. Capt on AT76. 3100TT with 0 on jets and I've been invited to London for an interview/simcheck for DEFO @ SIA.

Any thoughts?!

BANANASBANANAS
8th Jul 2018, 02:51
Singapore is the best place to live in the world if you have $ in your pocket. It can also be the worst place to live if you don'thave $ in your pocket.

It is an incredibly expensive place to live. Before you look at SIA, do your research on the cost of living and apply it to your personal situation, ie, married, children etc. The cost of living will truly make your eyes water.

schweizer2
8th Jul 2018, 07:00
Doesn't SIA have a habit of getting rid of expats once they are no longer required to plug the gaps?

bmw216gt
8th Jul 2018, 13:38
Hi all,

So, I'm European. Capt on AT76. 3100TT with 0 on jets and I've been invited to London for an interview/simcheck for DEFO @ SIA.

Any thoughts?!
DEFO? Thot you are a captain? Wow gonna take u a decade before they give a shot at command..goodluck

bmw216gt
8th Jul 2018, 13:38
Doesn't SIA have a habit of getting rid of expats once they are no longer required to plug the gaps?
you are well informed wise one! think so too..

Primary Governor
11th Jul 2018, 09:21
Yes DEFO, I'm currently a Capt on an AT76 so they'd hardly consider me for a DEC position on something like a 330 !!

I was in Singapore at ATR a few years ago doing a sim course for 3 weeks and yes, the cost of things was eye watering and I can imagine housing, car etc. being astronomical !!

Anyway, I will go to their interview/sim check for the hell of it and see how I go and what they are offering! I can always stay here in the LHS of my powerful ATR anyway :}

Thanks for the replies!

777lefty
14th Jul 2018, 09:47
Hi Gear Down and Locked,

Any idea which fleet they will be hiring DECs for? I can hopefully wait till 2019/20. Many thanks for any information.

Cheers,

777Lefty

Global Aviator
14th Jul 2018, 11:20
As with most places in the world there are expat pilots for one reason only...

Not enough locals for the job.

It’s probably going to get worse as it becomes a less glamorous job or people don’t have money to pay for the cadetship.

On that is it really a cadetship if paying? SQ still does the proper cadetship yes?

Singapore no more expensive than many world cities, can cost a **** load or be reasonable. All depends on lifestyle, oh unless you have kids!

bringbackthe80s
2nd Aug 2023, 01:30
Just to put things into context, correct me if I am wrong please.
Expenses you can expect in Singapore with one kid (considering a comfortable life):

- rent around 4500 sgd monthly
- utilities 200 sgd monthly
- primary school around 2500 sgd monthly (tuition)
- no car, so around 300 sgd transport
- groceries 1500 sgd monthly
- eating out/activities for all family around 500 sgd monthly
- health insurance for a family of 3,
300 sgd monthly

This is around 9500 sgd monthly expenses, excluding extra travelling, gym memberships etc etc..

Oasis
3rd Aug 2023, 07:01
Singapore has a DEC position in the ads.

Does anyone have information about the position, pay, days off, rosters?
PPJN doesn't seem too current..

Moussaillon
3rd Aug 2023, 23:30
Just to put things into context, correct me if I am wrong please.
Expenses you can expect in Singapore with one kid (considering a comfortable life):

- rent around 4500 sgd monthly
- utilities 200 sgd monthly
- primary school around 2500 sgd monthly (tuition)
- no car, so around 300 sgd transport
- groceries 1500 sgd monthly
- eating out/activities for all family around 500 sgd monthly
- health insurance for a family of 3,
300 sgd monthly

This is around 9500 sgd monthly expenses, excluding extra travelling, gym memberships etc etc..

--> Transport : reality is closer to 1000 ~ 1500 sgd monthly

aussiefarmer
4th Aug 2023, 08:55
I'd be interested to know what's the current take-home for a Capt and how are the rosters. I got some info from mates but the $$$ is so bad that I just can't believe is true.

flamingmoe
7th Aug 2023, 04:49
There’s a real lack of accurate, up to date info about the SQ expat package out there, I wonder why that is?

seventhreedriver
7th Aug 2023, 07:32
There’s a real lack of accurate, up to date info about the SQ expat package out there, I wonder why that is?
Guess is maybe, just maybe there is no more expat package...

flamingmoe
7th Aug 2023, 07:45
Useful response…I’ll rephrase that then, there is little information about the package, local/expat or whatever you’d like to call it. These are small details that expats ie people who are currently in another country, might want to be familiar with before they apply for this position. Pretty standard when considering a new job.

seventhreedriver
7th Aug 2023, 13:59
Useful response…I’ll rephrase that then, there is little information about the package, local/expat or whatever you’d like to call it. These are small details that expats ie people who are currently in another country, might want to be familiar with before they apply for this position. Pretty standard when considering a new job.
Sorry, I was being an ahole... But you question is quite relevant: I can only see CPT salaries from a decade ago...

flamingmoe
7th Aug 2023, 21:36
No worries…so was I : )

im not sure why they’re deliberately light on substance in the information available, people need to know this stuff to make an informed choice. Can’t expect people to want to move there just because their girls are pretty.

wondering
8th Aug 2023, 04:10
As mentioned there is no expat package in SQ. Transport is very cheap for an expensive city like SG. Even taxis. Public transport is peanuts. If you live on the East side relatively close to Changi I doubt you will spend anything near 1000 S$. Rental is super high. If you can take the lifestyle which comes with an HDB flat in a not so central area, you are probably ok. A posh expat neighborhood can be easily a five figure number. Looking for a rental unit? Try propertyguru.sg

Most private schools are a joke. They can't compete academically with public schools. Mate of mine is trying to get his kids out of a well known private school in Katong. Mind you, good public schools are extremely competitive to get in and tuition classes are a part of life here.

I don't have salary numbers. From my understanding variable bonus pay can be a large chunk of your income in SQ. If the company does well 3-6 month bonus pay is not unheard of. How about going to an interview, get a taste of the city and ask for exact numbers?

Good luck!

Lawrance
8th Aug 2023, 15:10
Is any expat recently received any interview invitation? From what I heared few month ago, no single expat was even invited for interview. My applications have unremained status

My Rifle and I
8th Aug 2023, 15:20
The application portal opened on August 1st and closes on August 16th. Probably hearback shortly after.

Apply here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/careers/

bringbackthe80s
9th Aug 2023, 00:49
As mentioned there is no expat package in SQ. Transport is very cheap for an expensive city like SG. Even taxis. Public transport is peanuts. If you live on the East side relatively close to Changi I doubt you will spend anything near 1000 S$. Rental is super high. If you can take the lifestyle which comes with an HDB flat in a not so central area, you are probably ok. A posh expat neighborhood can be easily a five figure number. Looking for a rental unit? Try propertyguru.sg

Most private schools are a joke. They can't compete academically with public schools. Mate of mine is trying to get his kids out of a well known private school in Katong. Mind you, good public schools are extremely competitive to get in and tuition classes are a part of life here.

I don't have salary numbers. From my understanding variable bonus pay can be a large chunk of your income in SQ. If the company does well 3-6 month bonus pay is not unheard of. How about going to an interview, get a taste of the city and ask for exact numbers?

Good luck!

The thing is, if these are the expenses..then it would take a VERY good package to be worth it

TechCrew
9th Aug 2023, 13:05
The thing is, if these are the expenses..then it would take a VERY good package to be worth it

Their package is below international standards and cost of living is very high. A FO earning tax free money in EK or QR isn’t too far away from a local SQ Capt salary. The reason why the SQ mgt can get away with it is simply because the locals do not dare to venture out and hence it’s assuming everyone is happy to live with the low package. Not forgetting the ALPA-S is pretty much useless as industrial action is deemed illegal and the authorities can throw u in jail like in any communist country.

Brix
9th Aug 2023, 14:49
Just as a reminder: A few days after the outbreak of SARS-CoV-1 in 2002/2003 SQ immediately fired flight crew and cut salaries.

https://edition.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/07/21/singapore.sia.biz/index.html

Cathay on the other hand didn't.

wondering
9th Aug 2023, 15:06
And you can figure out which pilots went first.

PS: Singapore has a policy of jobs for Singaporeans first. Singapore looks after its own first before hiring foreigners. Actually, I like it. I wish other countries would look after their citizens first before trying to save the world.

Flyboysg
12th Aug 2023, 10:53
I'd be interested to know what's the current take-home for a Capt and how are the rosters. I got some info from mates but the $$$ is so bad that I just can't believe is true.

Money is bad if u are an expat wanting an expat lifestyle. For locals it's just nice but u don't save much. The problem is the cost of living in Singapore is just going up and up and up and crazy whereas salary has stagnated below inflation same as most places in the world I guess.

LootedfromCPA
14th Aug 2023, 02:29
Does anyone have the payscale available?

mrbeast
14th Sep 2023, 17:42
Yes, would also like payscale if someone has one

Mark.S
4th Oct 2023, 17:55
In addition to salaries, could someone provide information on the bonus structure? Thanks.

oceancrosser69
11th Oct 2023, 09:07
Has anybody received an answer from Singapore after applying for DEC?

Fly3
12th Oct 2023, 02:29
Having been there and got the T shirt, and worked for other Far East and Middle East airlines, can I just say that their Human Resources department is by far the worst I ever had to deal with. Be very aware that as an expat you will be treated as a second class citizen to be dumped at the first sign of trouble, regardless of your contract.

stonethecrow
3rd Nov 2023, 10:54
Hi All,

Applied about a year ago for Direct Entry FO, now got an e mail for Online AON Assesment. Any up-to-date info on this is well appreciated.

I have a few more days to go until the deadline for the test.

cherokee_king
7th Nov 2023, 20:09
Did you manage to find anything? I'm in the same boat, applied last year and have just been sent the AON assessment to do. If anyone has any info on the terms and conditions at SIA it would be much appreciated.

mpftc
7th Feb 2024, 12:50
just pass sim. total income per month for DEFO is 10k-12k/m . Think it can only cover the cost of a 3ppl family.Looking to get pr of Singapore for FO might be very difficult since most of fo only get sencond level work pass(S pass).

stonethecrow
8th Feb 2024, 05:12
just pass sim. total income per month for DEFO is 10k-12k/m . Think it can only cover the cost of a 3ppl family.Looking to get pr of Singapore for FO might be very difficult since most of fo only get sencond level work pass(S pass).

Thank you! Is that in Singapore Dollars or USD?

And How about yearly bonus? They gave 8 salaries previous year I guess. Is it similar on average for every year?

I did the assessment and interview as well. They don't give out any info until you're accepted.

Clod94
15th Feb 2024, 07:38
Hi, what was the online interview about?

Richardlu114
7th Mar 2024, 09:18
Hi, does the 10-12k per m include housing, overtime and per diem? Thx

cruisepower
8th Mar 2024, 03:05
Hi, does the 10-12k per m include housing, overtime and per diem? Thx

No housing or any expat benefits the contract is on local terms.

Richardlu114
8th Mar 2024, 04:31
No housing or any expat benefits the contract is on local terms.
Thank you for the reply! Also like to make sure it’s SGD or USD? How bout the tax? Thank you 🙏🏻

wondering
8th Mar 2024, 08:58
Thank you for the reply! Also like to make sure it’s SGD or USD? How bout the tax? Thank you 🙏🏻

You know SG's currency. There you go. Why would SQ pay in USD if your base is SIN?

IRAS tax information can be found online.

catandkatsu123
21st Mar 2024, 15:24
Singapore is an expensive but also safe and vibrant city to live in

bringbackthe80s
22nd Mar 2024, 00:07
Safe, 100%.
Vibrant, not sure about that.

wondering
22nd Mar 2024, 04:16
Safe, 100%.
Vibrant, not sure about that.

It certainly has a very vibrant underground scene. Far detached from the clean image it tries to depict. :E

Fly3
23rd Mar 2024, 02:39
Sounds like someone has visited the "Four Floors" on a night stop.

Uplinker
26th Mar 2024, 11:17
Just received the negative reply to my application. Over 11,000 hours TT, the majority of which are on Airbus FBW including years of A330 long-haul.

And the rejection was based on my initial application; no tests or interviews had taken place. Oh well. Probably age related.