PDA

View Full Version : Carve her name with pride

crewmeal
9th Dec 2017, 10:32
For once the Daily Mail has excelled itself by an article about Violette Szabo who was in the SOE during WW2. Apart from the trolls who obviously work at the usual deflationary comments I think it's a brilliant article .

The true story of a British spy's courage | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5161493/The-true-story-British-spys-courage.html)

pax britanica
9th Dec 2017, 10:45
Without detracting a jot from the gallant lady, who was clearly worth in human terms more than the whole staff of a vile rag like the Mai, l which I would have thought would want somone called Violette Szabo arrested on immigration violations.

Funny how she is suddenly British with a name about as un British and Pan European as one could possibly imagine

chevvron
9th Dec 2017, 10:55
Without detracting a jot from the gallant lady, who was clearly worth in human terms more than the whole staff of a vile rag like the Mai, l which I would have thought would want somone called Violette Szabo arrested on immigration violations.

Funny how she is suddenly British with a name about as un British and Pan European as one could possibly imagine
The surname came from her husband you idiot; she had an English father and a French mother.

Trossie
9th Dec 2017, 11:03
/\ /\ /\ /\ ... (yawn!) What has a mere name got to do with being British? Nice one, chevvron.

She was doing what so many people have helped Britain to do over centuries and that is to fight dictatorial attempts to control Europe.

Sadly the SOE were not hugely effective militarily but a huge morale boost people in both Britain and occupied Europe (Max Hastings's book "The Secret War" covers it well). People like her would not be easy to find now.

WingNut60
9th Dec 2017, 12:10
A breed apart.
From an Oz/NZ perspective we had our Nancy Wake.

Amazing women.

It's hard to imagine a Weinstein intimidating the likes of those heroes.
Or conversely, it's entertaining to imagine the likes of Weinstein attempting to intimidate them.

Balls on a platter.

MOSTAFA
9th Dec 2017, 14:09
I completely agree with Chevvron, pax britanica is denying some village in SE England of an idiot.

Argonautical
9th Dec 2017, 14:12
Read the Leo Marks poem.

Or better still, read his book.....

"Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's Story 1941-1945" which was about his time as a cryptographer at SOE during the Second World War.

SASless
9th Dec 2017, 14:44
When you read an account of what this Woman did, and so many like her, you have to take a step back and consider what a cold kind of courage it took to take such risks.

This is not the kind of courage that comes to us when confronted with a sudden dangerous event and we rise to the occasion and overcome our fears and perform.

This is the kind of threat and fear that requires very long periods of time to live with and cope with with the absolute knowledge of what awaits you if apprehended.

We should all be in absolute awe of such raw courage and dedication to duty.

paco
9th Dec 2017, 14:58
Quite agree - let's not also forget Noor Khan (Madeleine) and all the others

air pig
9th Dec 2017, 17:05

Szabo was her married name. British father French mother. Suggest that you do some research before you make comments.

funfly
9th Dec 2017, 17:29
research before comments.

?? Never, this is pPrune you know!

vapilot2004
9th Dec 2017, 19:35
I became aware of this incredibly brave heroine thanks to a great aunt that served in the WAAF during the war. I've seen the movie of course, and the book by Violette's daughter looks to be a good read.

Very nice for a change to hear some positive news coverage involving women. :ok:

crewmeal
10th Dec 2017, 05:57

pax - whilst I agree with some of your past posts you need to research this one thoroughly before posting incorrect info.

UniFoxOs
10th Dec 2017, 09:11
Suggest that you do some research before you make comments.

Or read previous posts!

skyviewer
10th Dec 2017, 10:50
I came across the exploits of this amazing young woman (born Violette Bushell) whilst on a hotel break near Hereford. A leaflet in reception area described her life but the leaflet was published by a "museum" to her memory. The museum was located at Wormelow, down a lane at the side of the hotel & stated visits by appointment, but we had a walk to it anyway. At the house front gate we met the elderly lady houseowner who asked if we would like to visit the museum, which turned out to be a small outbuilding at the back of the house. She explained that the house had been owned by relatives of Violette so she had lived there temporarily in between her covert training for combat, parachuting etc. The small building was crammed full of wartime memorabilia, some relating to Violette but with details of her short life & SOE exploits. Violette was posthumously awarded the George Cross & Croix de Guerre after being executed at Ravensbruck. We gave donation towards the museum upkeep and came away with very mixed emotions about her bravery. Little wonder a film was made.

chevvron
10th Dec 2017, 11:35
Wasn't there a film about another female SOE agent starring Anna Neagle?

treadigraph
10th Dec 2017, 12:11
Odette, about Odette Sansom.

11277m
10th Dec 2017, 12:48
Where would the world be if it were not for people like this?

SASless
10th Dec 2017, 13:38
A list of Female Agents for the SOE and information about their lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_SOE_agents

pax britanica
10th Dec 2017, 15:12
if you hd actually read my post you will realise that I was not detracting from the gallant woman in the least and am familiar with her background but merely saying what the Daily Mail would normally say. . And frankly if i was to speculate she would probably be horrified about the way the Mail reports the world these days with its Nazi overtones

It was also largely humorous, at the DMs expense and I think it is quite unnecessary to call people names Mr Chevron -I have always enjoyed if not always agreed with your posts and respected your point of view.

Its one thing to defend the gallant Mrs Szabo , not that she needs it, another to defend the likes of Paul Dacre.

And as for her being English, her mother was French, she was born in Paris, spent a lot of her young life in France and married a Frenchman, of course her father was an Englishman but that only goes to point out that European cooperation is better than conflict c'est vrai?

teeteringhead
10th Dec 2017, 15:39
And the spirit is there not only in wartime.

Check out the only peacetime female (posthumous) GC, one (Barbara) Jane Harrison of BOAC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Jane_Harrison).

She was about 6 weeks short of her 23rd birthday.

With apologies to JB for aviation content...........

Trossie
10th Dec 2017, 18:49
Caz, on this thread that was poor taste.

teeteringhead, agreed. But a big difference from those mentioned on this thread is that they had plenty of time to think about what they were going into and still did so. However, doing it on the spur of the moment, as in that 707, still takes a lot. Well done to all of them. (Although, that's a bit weak. A lot more than well done.)

pax britanica
10th Dec 2017, 19:04
and I am still not sure what incorrect information I posted but I will repeat I have nothing but admiration for her but nothing in that line at all for the Daily Mail.
H

teeteringhead
10th Dec 2017, 20:30
Trossie: Agree absolutely; a great difference in protracted effort against a quick "this is what I have to do" decision.

Still only four GCs ever awarded to women; three posthumously, and three (not the same three) wartime SOE girls.

I use the word "girls" purposely and not patronisingly. Odette Hallowes - the only SOE recipient to survive the war, was 30 when she first went to occupied France; Violette Szabo was 23 on her first mission and was murdered at Ravensbruck at 24. Noor Inayat Khan (from a pacifist Indian Muslim family as it happens .......) deployed at 29 and was murdered at Dachau at the age of 30

Amended to correct Violette's age. My bad: GCE Maths was a long time ago.......

obgraham
10th Dec 2017, 22:04
Teetering, I believe you have mis-stated at least one of these ladies' ages.

There have always been a few young people who understand the concept of "right" and "patriotism" far beyond the rest of us, and are willing to risk all for it. Thank God.

parabellum
10th Dec 2017, 22:41
Violette Szabo was 33

I read 22.