PDA

View Full Version : Military spouse pension credit.

Al R
8th Dec 2017, 07:51
Has your spouse claimed it yet?

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2017-12-07/another-government-pension-scheme-fails-military-wives-miss-out-millions

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2017, 08:04
Al, thank you, passed on to daughter, they have had two tours so . . .

ShyTorque
8th Dec 2017, 09:19
My son noticed a small article about this in a Sunday newspaper, quite some time ago and pointed it out to his mother. She successfully claimed three years of her "missing" NI stamp payments, lost when I was posted to Germany.

It was appropriate that my son found the article because he was born during that tour!

Haraka
8th Dec 2017, 09:33
Would this apply to wives of personnel on seconded service in Europe I wonder?

FantomZorbin
8th Dec 2017, 10:05
I was greatly interested in this ... until I read the bit about "1953" ! grrrr!

MadsDad
8th Dec 2017, 10:55
My thanks also. Passed onto son (2 + years into accompanied tour).

It's Not Working
8th Dec 2017, 18:02
It applies to any women born after 5 April 1953. Cut from the moneywise article.

I am sure there’s a very good reason but why, does anybody have a clue? Perhaps my 4 accompanied overseas postings weren’t so good after all.:(

Edit: Just calmed down and read all the replies and seen that Fantom shares my angst.

Bob Viking
8th Dec 2017, 18:59
Is it anything to do with the fact that women born before that had an earlier retirement age? Maybe that was a good enough deal in itself?

Just my guess without having done any research.

BV

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2017, 19:31
My daughter says that in her case the P-Staff at both locations gave her the information and assistance in claiming. Al's advice is clearly more applicable to those who had tours before this was in effect.

drugsdontwork
8th Dec 2017, 20:19
It should apply to RAF Valley tours. My wife gave up a career to accompany me there but was not able to get a job in the local area because of a lack of Welsh language. Hardly different to being abroad.

ShyTorque
8th Dec 2017, 20:33
It should apply to many RAF stations. As soon as a potential employer sussed that the interviewee was an RAF wife, and therefore only likely to be on scene for a couple of years, the chance of getting the job were the square root of zero.

As far as the "cutoff" date goes, my wife had accrued enough credits until she was informed her that her pensionable age had been delayed from 60 to 66; a really dirty trick which caught many others, too.

Dan Winterland
9th Dec 2017, 00:48
It also appears that Child Benefit payment records have been conveniently 'misplaced' when it comes to claiming back credits. Mrs Winterland has been told she is only entitled to a few years, some 8 short of the time we moved overseas as thats all they have record of. We have payment details through bank records. Still ongoing!

ian16th
9th Dec 2017, 13:45
It can be claimed for any instances all the way back to 1975.
Divorced or widowed women can still claim if their former husband served in the military.
It applies to any women born after 5 April 1953.My wife fails all 3!

Overseas in Cyprus 1962-64
Not divorced or widowed
Born before 1953

So zilch!

ShyTorque
9th Dec 2017, 15:10
But presumably in receipt of a pension from the age of 60?

ian16th
10th Dec 2017, 09:38
But presumably in receipt of a pension from the age of 60?
Yes, but it was a very small one, that increased on the strength of my contributions, when I reached 65.

But because of where we live, neither of us have had an increase since 2002!

15 years and counting.