PDA

View Full Version : Drill

WE Branch Fanatic
18th Jul 2002, 23:58
Does anyone know how/where I could get a copy of the Navy's drill manual?

Talking Radalt
19th Jul 2002, 00:27
Does it involve "drilling" holes in ships using large chunks of Australia?:p

buvenbee-hind
19th Jul 2002, 01:50
WEBF

Mate

For Sir Cliffs sake, give it up !!!!!!!

bigley
19th Jul 2002, 05:40
You could Join the Royal Navy and get one free! Oh no you've done that!

BlueWolf
19th Jul 2002, 06:29
I have a cunning plan.

Write to the Navy's recruitment people; explain you situation; include a copy of your discharge letter; and ask for one.

In life I have found people often respect you more if you are honest and upfront with them.

Mad_Mark
19th Jul 2002, 08:02
WEBF,

FOXTROT OSCAR YOU BORING FEMALE GENITALIA!!!!

MadMark!!! :mad:

solotk
19th Jul 2002, 09:22
WEBF,

Don't under any circumstances, attempt to teach yourself drill, it will only end in tears. We know how we want you to do drill. We also know , that recruits, unless they are ex-cadets will be a big bag o'bollix , so that's why we teach it. It gives us the horn, to beast recruits around the quad, and it also gives us our best chance to use our "Drill pig book of sarcasm".

Drill, is one of the simplest, yet most satisfying things to learn and get right. It's one of the things that gets you working as a team and feeling good about yourself.

Please refer to my previous advice on what you need to do at this point. Continue to use www.getfitta.co.uk if you have started the programme. Buy yourself a set of working dress and practice washing it yourself and ironing it, USE STARCH. Buy a set of boots - combat high. Buy a tin of Kiwi "Parade Gloss" and polish the boots over and over again, till you can see your face in them.

Use these boots for training, and polish them at the end of every session.

Concentrate only, on fitness and self-discipline, everything else is irrelevant, a waste of time and on the motorway to humiliation

Have you looked at the VSO or ODA websites yet?

http://www.vso.org.uk/volunt/apply.htm

http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/jobs/job_lele.html

Tony

*Tick-tick-tick*

:mad:

pulse1
19th Jul 2002, 10:02
The son of my next door neighbour joined the RAF Police and he bought his own RAF style boots which he proudly polished and walked miles in to break them in.

Three weeks in, these boots were spotted during a kit inspection and were hurled by a Sergeant through an open window into the mud outside.

For him, this was the final straw which led to a rapid trip back to civvy street.

Knowing him, I am sure that this was the best outcome for him.

BlueEagle
19th Jul 2002, 11:03
Lucky it was only a pair of boots! On a very wet February morning, in 1959, I and the rest of our squad found every moveable item of our kit in the mud outside our 'spider', (hut) and the promise of a full kit and room inspection at 21:00hrs!

Scud-U-Like
19th Jul 2002, 11:50
WEBF

I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm now satisfied you are a wind-up merchant and that this is your latest wheeze to get ppruners fulminating.

canberra
19th Jul 2002, 17:29
blue eagle you were lucky. one day my di sliced me in two with a bayonet buried me in the middle of the drill square and then charged me with being late on parade. mind you i laugh about it now! and on the subject of the navy drill manual hmso should stock it, mind you i didnt know the navy could march!

DelMar
19th Jul 2002, 20:54
Know a couple of Navy personnel and as far as im aware the only drill that goes on in the Navy is when a 'sea daddy' bends over a young sailor and drills them up the a*se!!:D

Ivchenko
20th Jul 2002, 00:47
Can't believe I'm the only one who ever did this (although the extent of my capacity for incompetence is hard to credit) but at Dartmouth in some marching sword drill thingy I managed to get all out of step, move too far forward and then swing the wretched thing down and stab the poor bloke in front of me. No serious damage done but he certainly noticed it.

The DI seemed more annoyed at me for stepping out of the formation whilst I absorbed the horror I had just committed than for committing it in the first place.

BlueEagle
20th Jul 2002, 10:39
Luxury! we use't dreeem about bein' cut in 'alf wi' baynet, burried in't square

AND wi' only a very thin copy o' RN Drill Manual fer a 'eadstone!

Yung peeple t'day:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Samuel
21st Jul 2002, 04:30
Do you know, you guys are really funny?

Best laugh I've had this week BE!:D

L J R
21st Jul 2002, 07:05
'ovv coorse we ad it tuff.'

There we were halff an hour beefore going to bed....

Oh god its early.

Smiff, did you shave this morning??

NO SARGE!

Are you crying?

NO SARGE !!

Well you should be, I'm standing on yer hair.

..... those were the days. fu** waste of time ah..

doubledolphins
24th Jul 2002, 10:05
I can only assume you wish to teach your self drill. Well believe it or not, that would be as hard as teaching your self to fly. (Honest I do know, I teach both.) One of the principles of drill is to teach the individual to act in unison with the rest of the "team" and you are hardly going to do that by your self in your back garden, are you? BR 1834 is full of lots of pretty pictures of sailors doing all sorts of smart things, like standing still, marching and saluting. Both with weapons (pre Heckler and Koch mod), and with out. No where does it have a picture of an ironing board or iron. Its only relevance to you is that it was in lose leaf format and, guess what? the pages were A4 size! Sadly for you the publication is now up to change four, and that has only been issued on CDROM. So it will be of no use to you what so ever.

Submariners seldom cheat and never Lie!

solotk
24th Jul 2002, 20:33
While WEBF, may be a misunderstood,well-meaning, unbelievably irritating and very confused individual, I'd hardly accuse him of being the AdminGuru.

Especially, after a very virulent episode of finger pointing in JetBlast from a Mrs.FJ Mate, suggested that the Guru-San was in fact female, and kicked out of the Air Force for errrrr (And I read between the lines of her rant here) "Holding views and sympathies incompatible with a holder of the Queens Commission" I think that's how the "Big Blue Book of Law" states it.

Strange really, after I posted that thread here, AdminGuru disappeared, but I daresay, it was just co-incidence. :D

reynoldsno1
25th Jul 2002, 01:34
WEBF,

Don't pay any attention to all these absolute rotters. I don't know where you can get a copy of the drill manual, but I can let you have a pair of size 7 boots (the ones that make a nice crunchy sound when you walk). They are in a reasonable condition, but do have a couple of small marks where they were attacked by a Millwall supporter's head....

STANDTO
25th Jul 2002, 06:46
personally I think you can do a little bit to practice. Being able to swing your arms in the right order counts for a lot , i.e., not tick tocking, which seems to be the mk1 problem most people seem to have. Just remember, marching is simply a formalised version of walking. Start off walking naturally and then build in the rigidity of the arms and the measured pace.

Additionally, left/right/about turn/saluting can also be practiced, once you have been shown how. What you could do with is finding a drill instructor at a local cadet force and asking them if they could sharpen you up. I am pretty sure most would be pleased to help.

If anyone hasn't recognised your tenacity through all this, then they are missing a solid character trait! I hope it works out for you.

rivetjoint
25th Jul 2002, 09:20
Good idea, why not join your local cadet unit as an adult officer for a year or so. That way you'll get a uniform to keep tidy, some boots to keep clean and have to know all about drill to do parades.

However I suspect its not looking after a uniform or marching that you need to brish up on. Its your train of thought.

solotk
25th Jul 2002, 09:29
Not a good idea.

Cadets are viewed as the future, and an important asset of the Armed Forces. The staff, civilian and Reserve, have to be setting an example at all times, WEBF, by his own opinion, (and several of ours), just isn't ready for that responsibility, but one day, by the grace of god he will be. Mind you I think even Job will throw the towel in.....

Mind you, the fat ba$tard knacker that passed , when I did Westbury, implies that WEBF, who surely can't be as bad as he was, may have a sporting chance.

"Brish"? Is that a corruption of "brush" as in Brush-up and "Bristol" as in Bristol-Fashion?

I think you invented a new word for the Naval Neddies , StandTo:D

rivetjoint
25th Jul 2002, 10:15
Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?

Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir!

Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked $hit that high."

Out Of Trim
25th Jul 2002, 23:11
WEBF I think you'd better just give up!

It would appear that if you could not manage drill, boot cleaning, or ironing during your basic training you have quite a major problem and, to be frank would seem to be wasting your time and everyone else's persuing a career that is not within your ability. Although I suspect the problem was more to do with attitude!

I'm sorry to be harsh but, sometimes you just have to face facts and take it on the chin.

I suggest you look at another career in engineering, perhaps for a Ship builder - say Vospers etc.

Thereby maintaining your interest in military matters without the hurdle of actually joining up. :eek:

rivetjoint
26th Jul 2002, 09:23
Or maybe get a regular job (you have a degree, the world is your toaster) and make model ships in the evenings.

doubledolphins
26th Jul 2002, 10:01
Why do you want the book? As I have already said it is not a book any more, so it might just be possible to get hold af an old one via the usual sources. If you just have a couple of questions ask, you never know you might get an answer. Sea Cadet units will be of little use as they are probably not up to date with the latest changes. RN drill is moving towards Tri Service compatability, with out the stamping!

RoyalRock
26th Jul 2002, 17:25
Working with Jolly Jack, the only drill I ever see them perform is "Slip and Proceed", generally in the middle of the afternoon.

Cardinal Puff
29th Jul 2002, 11:48
You don't need the book. Just wait for the film to come out on video or DVD.

Jimlad
30th Jul 2002, 13:26
WEBF - if you do a search under sea scouts their main page has some links to drill with photos - might be worth a look.
Do a google search for sea scouts and go from there.

Incidentally have you thought about applying to work with the Sea Cadet Corps as an instructor - they always want good recruits

Flap62
31st Jul 2002, 20:20
For gods sake ! I know this bloke is hard work but give him a break. He turns up at training as a bag of spit and gets turfed out. Comes back here and gets torn apart for lack of preparation. So what does he do - he thinks about what he felt went wrong and asks for some advice in a polite manner. What does he get - purile abuse. Give the guya break - if nothing else, he's trying. Why not try to help him out and let the Navy decide if he should gve up ehhh!

WE Branch Fanatic
2nd Aug 2002, 22:43
It would have been my passing out day today.

The happiest and proudest day of my life........:(

rivetjoint
3rd Aug 2002, 08:51
Ah yes but they're about to go off and do trade training I guess, you're probably well into whatever your new direction is career wise.