PDA

View Full Version : Any CTC / L3 reviews?

benty
7th Dec 2017, 00:19
Hi guys,

I'm hesitating between 2 FTO for my modular training: Ctc (L3) and FTE Jerez.

I chose FTE but I was too late for the January session so they proposed to come in April but it's too late for me, I don't want to wait.

So I'm turning to L3 airline academy and I have a few questions about this school as I heard and read different opinions.

L3 announces a duration of 18 weeks for the CPL IR/ME. But it seems that most of the students completed their training between 6 and 7 months (MCC included I think).

I also heard that at L3 you could have a lot of different instructors in a short time. For me that's something bad for the quality of the training.

I also feel that in this school you're more like a figure to them than a "student". Compare to FTE which seems maybe more "familial".

About the AQC. When you pass the entry test and then pay the 9KŁ are you sure to finish it and have access to the pool or you can be eliminated because of anything and lose the 9KŁ? I'm a little bit confused about the AQC.

Does anybody know what's the current state of the AQC pilot pool?

If anyone who's done their training at this school or is currently studying there can express their thoughts/feelings I'll appreciate it!

aerodestination
7th Dec 2017, 09:50
hi,

first of all, if april is too late for you think again. If you still need to go through the selection process with L3, the earliest you can start is probably February or so. which is only a 2 months difference.

I personally think that the choice for a flight school should be made on your personal experience during the open day and the feeling you have with the instructors, company structure, location etc. During the flight training there is a lot going on and you need to be able to focus yourself on the training.

Don't change your mind over maybe a 2 months earlier start. Use those 2 months to prepare yourself with maths and read through the ATPL books.

FTE is a great school, so is L3. You really have to make the decision based on your feeling with both flight schools. At the moment FTE seems to have a slight edge in terms of airline placement since the AQC holdpool at L3 is piling up due to Easyjet not hiring from them at the moment. I am sure that will be resolved by the time you finish your training with L3.

L3 does have very good and professional instructors during ground school as well as the flight training.

9k GBP for AQC? Are you referring to integrated or modular training with both schools? If you go fully integrated with L3 the AQC is included. After completion of AQC they will place you in the holding pool and they will try and get you an interview with one of their partner airlines. They will look into your overall performance during the flight training to see if you are suitable for a particular airline. Think about the maximum amount of groundschool fails, avarage, first series passes CPL and IR and solid performance throughout AQC.

As I said earlier. Think again. Make your decision based on what you think. Flight school preference is very personal and as you said FTE might be a little bit more familial. If that is important to you, go for FTE!

benty
7th Dec 2017, 11:49
hi,
If you still need to go through the selection process with L3, the earliest you can start is probably February or so.

I didn't know about that.

The AQC holdpool at L3 is piling up due to Easyjet not hiring from them at the moment. I am sure that will be resolved by the time you finish your training with L3

That's mainly why I chose L3. To have a chance to join EZ. But it's a poker move to say I'll go to L3 hoping EZ will hire there again.

About the 9K I was speaking for the modular training, as I already have my ppl and atpl.

If anyone else can express their thoughts about their experience at L3 it would help a lot.

Anyway, aerodestination, thanks for your good advices!

Alex Whittingham
7th Dec 2017, 12:37
the AQC holdpool at L3 is piling up due to Easyjet not hiring from them at the moment

Easyjet seem to be still taking cadets from FTE. How full is the L3 holding pool? I'd imagine that it affects their whitetail ATPL candidates as well as the ACQ candidates. The feed to Easyjet was their primary placement route.

benty
7th Dec 2017, 13:31
Yes FTE is still hiring at FTE but only the integrated students which is not my case.

aerodestination
7th Dec 2017, 14:53
Can you tell a little bit more what you are planning to do with both FTO's? As I might have misread it. Do you already have your PPL and hours? Including all 14 ground school subjects?

And Alex, I am not sure about the numbers that are currently in the pool, but it has been way less earlier this year. For about the past 4 months, Easyjet hasn't hired anyone from the holding pool. The problem is the backlog in typeratings. So people who were hired earlier this year, some are still waiting to start their type rating course. That is why they stopped hiring for now.

So this issue should resolve itself on the longer run. But for now the holding pool is increasing and I quite a few people are waiting or applying by them selfs to airlines externally.

for the OP. If you only plan to to CPL/ME/IR and MCC/AQC with a FTO, I don't think that L3 will offer you that much of a benefit anyway for the price you pay. They will always prefer their own whitetail students over modular students in the holding pool. You will be drowning somewhere deep in that holding pool while you paid big money, probably better to save some money with another FTO that can provide you with the same ratings and that will leave you in pretty much the same spot in terms of job opportunities

benty
7th Dec 2017, 18:06
Can you tell a little bit more what you are planning to do with both FTO's? As I might have misread it. Do you already have your PPL and hours? Including all 14 ground school subjects?

for the OP. If you only plan to to CPL/ME/IR and MCC/AQC with a FTO, I don't think that L3 will offer you that much of a benefit anyway for the price you pay. They will always prefer their own whitetail students over modular students in the holding pool. You will be drowning somewhere deep in that holding pool while you paid big money, probably better to save some money with another FTO that can provide you with the same ratings and that will leave you in pretty much the same spot in terms of job opportunities

Yes I already have my PPL with the hours required and my 14 ATPL certificates. I'm just looking for an FTO where I can do my CPL/ME/IR.

I know some guys that were modular at L3 and some that didn't even go to L3 but just did the AQC and they got placed at EZ. It was around 1 year ago when the pool was almost empty. So yes you are called after the whitetail but it depends the depth of the pool... But right now the pool is on hold so I guess it's not the right time. Who knows when the situation will change..

FTE Jerez has a ‘flight deck plus’ program for PPL holders with 150+ hours and their ATPL written exams passed.
If prestige is important to you, then this is about as ‘top of the line’ as I would go.
Remember it’s not where you start your flight training that counts.
It’s where you graduate from.

The same goes for CTC/L3.
I would only go there for a A320/B737 type rating.

It's not that prestige is that much important for me. I'm just looking to maximize my chances to get a job at the end of my training.

aerodestination
8th Dec 2017, 10:02
I have heard good stories about BCFT in Bournemouth. And maybe Simtech for MCC/JOC? Seems to be a popular route for modular students.

I can completely understand that 4 months delay is not something you want especially if you already passed your ATPL theory and have your hours.

gfunc
8th Dec 2017, 17:50
I had a look at the CTC AQC scheme just over a year ago and went to the selection day (it was free at the time). During the sales spiel they briefly mentioned that the hold pool is tiered with the integrated bods in the top tier, people who did some component of their fATPL in the middle and the AQC only at the bottom. They were vague about the whole thing and couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me the mechanics of how the different tiers were called up for opportunities. This lack of clarity and evasiveness was a major factor in me turning them down and going elsewhere.

I would add the caveat that this was over a year ago, so things may have changed. It is however an important thing to nail down before handing over your hard earned cash.

benty
8th Dec 2017, 22:10
gfunc

Thanks, that's good to know

button push ignored

It's money that I earned working hard over years and the help of my family. And 50K is never peanuts. Especially to me.

I know these FTOs won't "place" me. But still, having recommendations is already a big advantage, that's why I'm heading for the "top" schools.

benty
8th Dec 2017, 23:43
Thanks man ;)

I'm not sure I get what you meant in 'Remember at (f)ATPL is just a CPL/IR/ME, and is not the be all and end all.'

Sorry I'm not a native english speaker...

benty
9th Dec 2017, 02:15
Oh I get it now. Yes it's what I understood during these last year about this profession. Lots of luck and good timing... I know it's going to be still a long and hard road to get there.

Are you flying corporate or airline?

Anunaki
14th Dec 2017, 00:04
I will second what 'Button Push ignored' and 'gfunc' said, L3/CTC practices are shady and I speak from experience.
The AQC used to be a good scheme, now is a farce. There are over 100 people in the pool, they do not email the cadets, pool placement updates anymore. The last one was September if I'm not wrong.
Take your money to FTE I'd say. BCFT Bournemouth is very good, MCC/JOC try Virtual Aviation or even better, Kura's Bestpilot as they are placing people.

redsnail
15th Dec 2017, 20:13
Bravo button push ignored :D

Sadly, another factor influencing a lot of hiring is the impression that only folks who have done a full time course can possibly fly a jet (ie shades of the old Hamble courses etc) or the strange prejudice against turbo-prop pilots. Thus effectively stopping the stepping stone career that many of us enjoyed. (ie instructor -> turboprop -> jet)

benty
16th Dec 2017, 02:22
"Button Push ignored" thanks for your comments and your thoughts. Appreciate!

I will second what 'Button Push ignored' and 'gfunc' said, L3/CTC practices are shady and I speak from experience.
The AQC used to be a good scheme, now is a farce. There are over 100 people in the pool, they do not email the cadets, pool placement updates anymore. The last one was September if I'm not wrong.
Take your money to FTE I'd say. BCFT Bournemouth is very good, MCC/JOC try Virtual Aviation or even better, Kura's Bestpilot as they are placing people.

It's what I' going to do. I chose FTE!

redsnail
16th Dec 2017, 17:07
@ button pushed ignored my nickname is an anagram of an aeroplane I used to fly. The Islander. When I joined PPRuNe way back in 1997? I was flying an Islander on the Coastwatch contract in the Kimberley, Australia. That was after a few years of bush flying.
Fun times. :D