PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Training Loans

jimmyj
3rd Dec 2001, 15:09
I am a recent university graduate and am looking to train as a fixed wing or helicopter pilot.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get an unsecured loan of between 15-20k? I am aware of career development loans but the max is only 8k so I need advice please.

Please only reply if you have something constructive to say, not to complain about spelling! Thank you.

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
3rd Dec 2001, 15:28
Yorky

Have you asked PLH?
I think they have a advert in flyer or pilot.

spitfire747
3rd Dec 2001, 16:48
Being a recent graduate from a university or HE College should entitle you to a Professional Studies loan, and the example use that HSBC use is Commercial Pilot Training.

Ask the bank, i am not sure if it is un-secured or how much

Max Drift
3rd Dec 2001, 22:43
Yorkshire_lad,

I recently obtained an unsecured loan with HSBC to the tune of £15k. My loan manager even hinted that they would have been prepared to loan more unsecured based on individual circumstances. The re-payment terms are very very reasonable and my loan manager has been incredibly generous, fair and attentive to all my requests.

I'm in Yorkshire also, let me know if you want more details.

MD

P.S I got this loan before all the September 11th fallout so I don't really know how the situation is at present.

charles_auty
4th Dec 2001, 01:28
Hi!
I've just been to HSBC and am awaiting the results of the credit check etc. I'm looking to borrow over 25 grand so I'll let you know if I am sucessful.
As a matter of interest, I did go in there with a pretty organised presentation of my case including aptitude results, PPL skills test comments, monthly income and expenditure on a nice spreadsheet etc. - so I did try my best! The letter of acceptance/refusal is in the post -I'll let you know as soon as I find out!

dv8
4th Dec 2001, 01:59
200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
Whats a PLH when its at home?

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
4th Dec 2001, 03:07
They look after the finance and training for helo pilots. I know a guy who used them, they saved him loads of dosh and managed his training. I think they may have some kind of finance deal going. for example they pay for your training, then you pay them back for the rest of your life, you get the idea.......

PFO
5th Dec 2001, 00:05
One thing to bare in mind:

Find a branch that has "pilot friendly" management who actually know what they are talking about!

I went to my local HSBC and the 3 people I saw basically didn't have a f**king clue. They turned down the application quoting "you do not qualify for such a loan as it is now some 5 years since you graduated" and according to them they had checked with the central lending unit and the only thing they could offer was for my folks to remortgage their house and move their business banking to the HSBC.

I have yet to try another branch.

There are some "very friendly" branches - you simply need to find them.

PFO

Bernoulli Belle
5th Dec 2001, 01:30
The manager at HSBC in Camden is a private pilot. If you fancy coming down to London in your search for a friendly branch, you might want to call them first. I got a £25K professional study loan out of them, but it was secured. They also offered to defer my payments for 18 months and have hinted that they can extend the deferment period as I am still 'between jobs'. The interest rate is variable and is exceptionally good at the moment (if interest can ever be seen to be 'good'). Go for it.

spitfire747
5th Dec 2001, 15:30
HSB Seem to be the best option, i was aproved for a professional studies loan of upto £30,000 plus living, deffered for 18 months AFTER Completition.

Does anyone know whether these are available for use in another country where training is cheaper

mintfavour
5th Dec 2001, 17:02
Upto how long after you graduated from uni do you qualify for a professional study loan???

anyone know