PDA

View Full Version : flybe

EGTE
18th Jul 2002, 23:41
British European have changed their name to flybe as from July 18th. The new colour scheme (which we all knew about) was launched at the same time.fly be

Dennis The Menace
19th Jul 2002, 00:17
Hmmmmm.
2 changes to image/branding (at high expense, I assume) in a little over 2 years.
MayBE. last chance saloon??? :D :D :D

newswatcher
19th Jul 2002, 08:30
From the Daily Mail(18/7):

"AN AIRLINE is to ban the practice of bumping passengers off deliberately overbooked flights. British European says it will offer more flexible tickets and introduce 'late deals' to ensure there are no empty seats on aircraft.

Every year thousands of travellers with reservations are unable to board flights because more tickets have been sold than there are seats. The airlines say they do this because some passengers will simply not turn up. But problems occur when computer generated predictions of the number of 'no shows' overestimate.

Customers are normally offered compensation or free tickets but it can mean missed appointments and connectionsand a wait for another seat. The practice affects both long-haul and short-haul flights and has long been a contentious issue in Britain and the United States.

British European, relaunching itself as flybe, says it is trying to give passengers a better deal in response to competition from low- cost airlines. It claims other carriers will have to follow. Under regulations being considered by the EU passengers denied their seat could soon claim up to pounds 1,000 compensation.

The EU is also looking at introducing American style statutory leaguetables of so- called 'bump-rates', designed to name and shame the worst airline offenders

LGW Vulture
19th Jul 2002, 08:50
Not wishing to live up to my title but, what are BE up to?

It now lies in the hands of owners who have no interest in aviation - Is it making money? If not, there's no Mr Walker to throw his loving arms around it. Air Chance to save it?

canberra
20th Jul 2002, 12:17
what is it with airlines and the name british? first british midland become bmi and now british european. at least british airways have kept the name, although the do like to use ba rather than the full title. bring back bcal!!!!!! i wonder if some airlines have got so much money that they dont know what to do with that they waste it on rebranding.

magbreak
20th Jul 2002, 14:32
If they have too much money I have an account number for them...:) :) :)

akerosid
22nd Jul 2002, 04:29
I know BE/Flybe isn't going down the road of being a full Lo-co, but surely therein lies a danger? It's costs are still comparatively high and I wonder how they are going to combine being a semi low-cost carrier and operate aircraft which, frankly, are unsuitable for the kind of operation they are planning. How can you combine the fare structure they are planning and still make money flying Dash8s and 146s.

I am particularly curious to see how they're going to replace the RJX order cancelled last year. Might we see A319s? Anything else doesn't really make sense.

Riverboat
30th Jul 2002, 20:53
Its a very attractive scheme IMHO - the best of the new ones.

Riverboat

Luke341
31st Jul 2002, 17:31
A319's cant b that low cost to run- why do all the other low cost airlines operate with 737s rather than the airbus?:rolleyes: