PDA

View Full Version : Best Really Provincial Foods

421dog
6th Dec 2017, 00:15
So, as a budding old fart, I am developing an appreciation for really good food from obscure origins.

I'd like to start the list with Chislick, that is, South Dakota grass fed beef chunks, seasoned, and deep fried in butter.

tescoapp
6th Dec 2017, 00:28
leeds Bradford tripe baguette.

Fecking horrible if you are not a local. Knicker dropping treat if your CC is a local and you let her get one. "Eee fancy ya cock sucked pet if't I can'st get a tripe lunch from murgatroids"

Yar alright love I will tell the taxi driver.

Are you sure captain its really no bother.

I didn't want to ask if she was talking about sucking my cock or missing out on the tripe baguette I made it a priority to get the tripe lunch and keep my zip up

Ascend Charlie
6th Dec 2017, 04:07
Fresh bread from the bakery, take the crust and smear it with butter and Vegemite. Oz traditional snack.

M.Mouse
6th Dec 2017, 10:57
I love Marmite. When I first went to Oz in the early 90s I bought some Vegemite thinking it would be similar! Couldn't abide it.

Ancient Mariner
6th Dec 2017, 11:01
Smalahove and lutefisk.
Gnoogle is your friend.:E
Per

wiggy
6th Dec 2017, 11:08
Cassoulet...

Utterly yummy in cold weather but it's heart attack on a plate....

Recette Cassoulet toulousain (http://www.cuisineaz.com/recettes/cassoulet-toulousain-50893.aspx)

And just for the "In English please" brigade:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/toulouse-style-cassoulet

Wyler
6th Dec 2017, 11:08
Gravy on Chips....GET IN!!!!

TLDNMCL
6th Dec 2017, 12:08
Potato and meat or meat and potato (yes,there is a difference).

gemma10
6th Dec 2017, 15:06
Paella Mixtur, but purchased in Valencia.

Simplythebeast
6th Dec 2017, 15:24
Ham and pease pudding on a stottie.

Eric T Cartman
6th Dec 2017, 15:24
A real Yorkshire Pudding - delicious ! According to my Lancastrian pal, apart from the East Coast mainline trains, it's the only good thing to come out of Yorkshire & it's the only foreign food he'll eat ! ;-)

gearontheglide
6th Dec 2017, 15:36
Smalahove and lutefisk.
Gnoogle is your friend.:E
Per

You sir are evil!!:E

Ancient Mariner
6th Dec 2017, 16:36
You sir are evil!!:E

Glad to be of assistance.
Planning for lutefisk this weekend. With Yule Tide beer and Akevitt, of course. And plenty of both.
Per

Ancient Observer
6th Dec 2017, 16:38
Cornish cheese.

cavuman1
6th Dec 2017, 20:08
The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner, Part Deux:

A true story concerning visual impairment and foreign adult beverages: Long ago and far away (when I was a much younger man), I lived on St. Simons Island, Georgia, U.S.A. I had a dear friend named Nestor Jarvis, a Norwegian by heritage. Ness owned a bar called Murphy's Tavern (pretending to be bog-hopping Oirsh) and was fond of every whiskey known to modern man. Especially the terrible tasting but extraordinarily potent Akevitt (water of life), which I believe is made from chicken lips, pig anuses, and politicians' hearts. But I digress...

One hot and humid summer afternoon, Ness had consumed the better part of a fifth of Akevitt. He was wavering between semi-consciousness and a delta stage coma. Fortunately he lived but a one minute drive away from the tavern and was able to navigate his zig-zag way to his humble bachelor quarters. There he fell, fully clothed, onto his unmade rumpled bed. (You should know at this point that coastal Jawja receives daily onslaughts of magnificent, towering thunderstorms each and every afternoon in the summertime. This day was no exception, and, as usual, the power to the whole island was knocked out for three or four hours.)

Ness awakened along about 9:30 P.M. He was immersed in total permeating darkness, for though he remained unaware of the fact, the capable linesmen of Georgia Power were still working to restore power/drink their asses off/wolf whistle at pretty ladies.

With throbbing head and alcohol-induced diplopia, Ness reached for the lamp located upon his bedside table and, with Herculean effort, twisted the knob to ON. Nothing. He tried again. (It was one a them 'ere 3-way laght doohickeys.) Nothing. Ness panicked! In a voice loud enough to be heard over a radius of half of Oceanicus Atlanticus, he screamed forlornly: "OH! MY GOD! I'M BLIND!!!"

Just as I (and half the twelve thousand persons who lived on the island) stopped what we were doing to rush to Herr Jarvis' aid and assistance, the power flickered on. Ness, relieved to learn that he would not require a white cane and a tin cup, was otherwise distressed to learn that his bed was covered in copious vomitus comprised of chicken lips, pig anuses, and politicians' hearts! :eek: :bored: :yuk:

;)

- Ed

ZeBedie
6th Dec 2017, 20:40
North Staffs oatcakes

broadreach
6th Dec 2017, 20:45
Ceviche or Cebiche, spelled both ways. Preferably Peruvian rather than Chilean.

TheFiddler
6th Dec 2017, 20:51
North Staffs oatcakes

Few know the pleasure of these with bacon, sausage and some cheese - though not how they were originally served!

My Grandparents had an oatcake shop in Fenton when my Grandfather demobbed. I still make our own now, but only a couple of times a year as a special treat.

From other areas, after a few drinks, a chicken parmo can beat a doner kebab!

Ancient Mariner
6th Dec 2017, 20:56
Ceviche or Cebiche, spelled both ways. Preferably Peruvian rather than Chilean.

Plus one, and to cavuman1, that would be Akevitt inhaling as per normal.
Shoted and chased. Particularly during the coming Yule Tide. Woohooo.
Per

ShyTorque
6th Dec 2017, 21:00
Mackerel, lettuce and Marmite sandwiches. :}

Cazalet33
6th Dec 2017, 21:15
Smalahove and lutefisk.Angel food and devil's food - in that order.

The smell of lutefisk deserves the aroma of a well rotted durian as accompaniment.

Seldomfitforpurpose
6th Dec 2017, 21:24
Schweinshaxe, had it in many places whilst based in Germany but found it again on a recent short break in Krakow and it was absolutely delish.

reynoldsno1
6th Dec 2017, 21:39
Northern Thai sausages

http://siamsizzles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/northern-thai-sausage.jpg

Seldomfitforpurpose
6th Dec 2017, 21:40
We are in Thailand in Feb next year, will look out for those.

Rob Courtney
6th Dec 2017, 21:48
Bury Blackpuddings, boil, split add butter salt and french mustard

WingNut60
6th Dec 2017, 22:00
Northern Thai sausages

Now there's a man who knows his food.

Recently introduced my brother and his wife to Chiang Mai sausage. Both loved it. Even my sister-in-law who is otherwise a bit gun-shy with spicy foods.

But best when served from a push-cart brazier. Sai ua and nam prik ong.

troppo
6th Dec 2017, 22:40
Tuna and noodles :}

BlankBox
6th Dec 2017, 22:50
Stinky Tofu & a Tiger hunt... :E

gemma10
7th Dec 2017, 08:11
Question for Marmite lovers. Once opened, should the jar be kept in the fridge?

ian16th
7th Dec 2017, 08:22
South African bobotie.

Barksdale Boy
7th Dec 2017, 08:36
Kinilaw Tanguini - only good dish to come out of the Philippines.

vctenderness
7th Dec 2017, 09:14
On a menu in Shanghai I once saw ‘Three Smelly Things Ningbo’ no one on the crew was brave enough to order it!

paulc
7th Dec 2017, 11:09
VC10tenderness - ditto apart from it was in Guangzhou and the dish was called "god with lemon"

vctenderness
7th Dec 2017, 11:12
.....and I have always considered a large Bombay and tonic as ‘God with lemon’.

TLDNMCL
7th Dec 2017, 12:12
Bury Blackpuddings, boil, split add butter salt and french mustard ...annd maybe a spoonfull of peas dropped into the split...

WingNut60
7th Dec 2017, 13:52

Yes, someone else's fridge.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Dec 2017, 13:56

Ours is not in a glass jar, its in a plastic squeezy container and states on the front of it do not refrigerate.

CargoMatatu
7th Dec 2017, 14:04
I'm sure I read somewhere that in the event of nuclear Armageddon only the cockroaches, and Marmite would survive! :eek:

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2017, 14:09
As Marmite 'thickens' at low temperature (or, more accurately, 'thins' at higher temperature), keeping it in the refrigerator will result in tearing of the bread if used straight from there.

Of course, if you only spread it onto toast, there will be less of a problem.

Smeagol
7th Dec 2017, 15:38
I cannot believe that we are on page 2 of this thread and no-one has mentioned a CORNISH PASTY.

Always have great difficulty walking up Market Jew St in Penzance without partaking of at least one offering, having to walk past Warren's (2 branches), Rowe's, Pellow's and The Mounts Bay Pasty Co. the choice is just too great to resist.

On balance I do prefer Pellow's.:):):)

Ancient Mariner
7th Dec 2017, 15:51
Kinilaw Tanguini - only good dish to come out of the Philippines.

Can't find kalimansi where we live. Makes a nice lemonade too.
Per

FLCH
7th Dec 2017, 17:13
There's only one good provincial food:

Guinness ! :)

gingernut
7th Dec 2017, 18:10
"Large Shish" from Shezans, Wilmslow Road, Rusholme.

"Shami Kebab" whilst waiting, (yoghurt and chilli sauce.)

If you are a bit big and daft looking, with big feet, you'll get a "Police Discount" as well.

Just nod, without questioning things too much.

Unless the "TAG" team are all lined up at the counter.

cavuman1
7th Dec 2017, 19:32
My Bride and I pride ourselves on our homemade chili, a thick and delicious admixture featuring cubes of sirloin steak, smoked chili powder, corn, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and eleven other ingredients which I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! It is a rib-sticking variation of a Texas 5-alarm dish that we don't make quite so hot; my bald head would otherwise erupt with sheets of perspiration.

On the other end of the scale is Cincinnati chili, a delicacy known in and around our town. It is served over spaghetti, hot dogs ("coneys"), or by itself in a bowl. Like our Texas chili, it is best served with a generous serving of shredded cheddar cheese, a big dollop of sour cream, and a few shots of Tabasco. Several of the "secret" ingredients include chocolate, cinnamon, and allspice. It is almost a watery liquid, but is, at once, delicious and addictive. Two local chain restaurants, Skyline (pronounced jokingly as Sk-Leany) and Goldstar, serve millions of gallons each year. If you're ever in "Porkopolis", it is a must-try. Or give us a call and join us for some Texas chili, pardner! (Though my better half has mastered a perfect simulacrum of Skyline's version if you insist.) NOM-NOM-NOM! :} :eek: :ok:

- Ed

https://www.skylinechili.com/images/thumbs-ways.jpg

https://www.skylinechili.com/images/thumb-coneys.jpg

gileraguy
8th Dec 2017, 03:16
Ours is not in a glass jar, its in a plastic squeezy container and states on the front of it do not refrigerate.

Incredible levels of salt in Marmite (& Vegemite!!!) means that the product does not require refridgeration IF you use a clean utensil.

Vegemite runs 7% Sodium, (FYI Bonox runs 22%!!!!)
(I don't have any marmite, however I am informed that the product sold down under as marmite is quite unlike the UK product, which a chef friend informed me is sold in some supermarkets in Australia as "Our Friend". I found some "Our Friend" and it's a lot sweeter than Vegemite.)

ChrisVJ
8th Dec 2017, 04:02
Brawn

Black pudding

Peas pudding, hot, cold or three days old.

Animal Mother
8th Dec 2017, 08:22
Hot welsh cakes with loads of butter.

Toasted Bara Brith with loads of butter.

gemma10
8th Dec 2017, 11:32
Do I detect a lot of overweight folks here? Best stick to marmite on toast, or marmite on crumpets [pikelets].

cargosales
8th Dec 2017, 20:15
Bortsch (or Bortscht if you prefer)

In Helsinki - apparantly the best place for decent authentic Russian food. Absolutely fabulous, with nothing more than bread to go with it. Well perhaps the odd shot or two of vodka to wash it down ;-)

5000 metres
8th Dec 2017, 21:01
One whiz wit.
(Said in proper Broad & Jackson accent.)

Um... lifting...
9th Dec 2017, 02:13

Without smetana? (sour cream) Barbarism.

Pâté de Campagne with a baguette and red wine made on the premises.

Ancient Mariner
9th Dec 2017, 08:56

In Helsinki - apparantly the best place for decent authentic Russian food. Absolutely fabulous, with nothing more than bread to go with it. Well perhaps the odd shot or two of vodka to wash it down ;-)
Just stay away from those oh so very Russian tourist traps. Expensive and lousy food. If the guest don't speak mostly Russian or Finnish, turn away.
Based on bitter $$$ experience.
Per

ImageGear
9th Dec 2017, 09:49
Ian,

I see your Bobotie and raise you a Potjiekos. (or a bunny chow if it was Cape Malay) :ok:

Could not do walkie-talkie's personally, but the BOL couldn't make them fast enough in Lady Grey. They went into Transkei by the bakky load. (He's a butcher)

Imagegear

Windy Militant
9th Dec 2017, 16:03
Hot welsh cakes with loads of butter.
Better still Cold Welsh Cakes with loads of home brew! :\