PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Russia 2018

davidjohnson6
2nd Dec 2017, 00:14
Anyone think that an airline (presumably BA, Virgin, Easyjet or one of the Russian carriers) will launch direct scheduled flights between the UK and any of Kaliningrad, Nizhny Novgorod or Volgograd for specific dates in summer 2018 ?
I realise that Russia is not part of the EU, formal Govt route approvals will need to be obtained and, because traffic will be in only one direction at a time, fares will be high. On the other hand, those with a ticket to a game get visa-free entry to Russia
I am aware that for Euro 2016, there were very very few flights between the UK and St Etienne (just Ryanair the day before and the day after the game I think) but it's a lot faster to travel by land from the UK to central France, than it is to Russia

canberra97
2nd Dec 2017, 00:43
I was thinking exactly the same question and as you say it's not exactly easy to get to those destinations as it is so I also wonder if any flights will be made available

Rutan16
2nd Dec 2017, 05:44
Short answer no and anyway why should they be schedules .

There will be charters but not so many whilst the World Cup doesn’t generate that much traffic in and of its self.

If England make it to the quarter and beyond a few extra spot charters can be expected.

However remember Russia requires travel Visas and they will be using these to monitor and control the numbers entering to stand around in the squares for nefarious reasons!

kfsimpson
2nd Dec 2017, 09:23
Fans holding a match ticket and a 'Fan ID' card will not need to go through the Russian visa process and the fingerprinting in London. Those without tickets will need to obtain a visa in the usual way. Should reduce the number of drunken England 'fans' without tickets in the matchday cities. Remember Marseille '98? The Russian police might also be a deterrent ........

Rutan16
2nd Dec 2017, 11:12
Exactly the point ticket and organised travel and accommodations packages !

No need or demand for random scheduled services in reply to the thread openers original question

All visitors will be vetted in one way or another because just buying match ticket provides the authorities significant personal information about the buyer

They are so offering free or reduced domestic travel via the rail network between venues but that’s also with a catch of advanced ticketing and reservations again providing the authorities sufficient personal information about the movements and security of foreigners

Plenty of ways to keep tabs on who and where peeps are

Also the Russian intelligence will certainly be monitoring all foreign mobiles that make connections to their telecommunications network during these times

Seriously they WILL know a great deal of who what and where even before the traditional visible agents of law enforcement are considered

davidjohnson6
2nd Dec 2017, 12:19
As the FSB (successor to the KGB) will be the ones managing the FAN-ID scheme, I have no doubt that the Russian authorities will have plenty of information on who is entering the country and be able to pick off any troublemakers quickly.

However, FIFA will want to have fan zones in each city and generally make it possible for those without tickets to enjoy the atmosphere outdoors - I doubt they want something quite as controlled as the FSB would like. In any case this is Putin's chance to present Russia as a normal country rather than an authoritarian one. Boosting tourism in regional cities for the long term will also be on the minds of organsiers. Thus it is probably in Russia's interests to make scheduled flights possible subject to having complied with either a visa or the pseudo visa called FAN-ID

Heathrow Harry
2nd Dec 2017, 12:37
Brave man who would go to a "fan zone" in Russia. Worse than Millwall...

Rutan16
2nd Dec 2017, 13:05
The fact is the UK Russia bilateral is pretty restrictive in anycase .

Currently it just the vacant (ex Easyjet) LGW - MOS route available to a UK carrier.

All regional flying UK or Russia is subject to protracted government approvals and with current FCO and Russian relations these are unlikely forthcoming any time soon.

UK and Russian links (doggy Plutocrats excluded) aren’t that defined or indeed particularly numerous unlike those between Germany and Russia - these include significant VFR traffic flows.

Entry in Kaliningrad will be very heavily controlled - Its essentially a HUGE CiS military base in the middle of NATO territory today.

Again there will be NO extra and unusual schedules but some organised charters only, with prescient and previous history - How many scheduled operated to Sochi from the UK have guess !

golf yankee one one
3rd Dec 2017, 18:58
Two points concerning Kaliningrad.

Despite extensive military installations it is potentially easier to enter this oblast than other parts of Russia. There is a 72 hour visa on arrival scheme for EU citizens.

The easiest way to get to Kaliningrad from UK is to fly to Gdansk (Ryanair etc. ) and take a taxi (about 2 hours )

kfsimpson
4th Dec 2017, 12:19
There is a 72 hour visa on arrival scheme for EU citizens.

No longer available from 1st January 2017.