PDA

View Full Version : installing FF update manually on latest Linux Mint

rans6andrew
1st Dec 2017, 21:16
I have grabbed the latest version of Firefox browser (v57?) on my slowwwwwwww netbook as it promised to be the fastest version ever. It certainly seems to drag the machine down a lot less.

Today, when the FF v54 on my Linux Mint machine flagged up that my browser was a bit out of date and ought to be updated for security reasons I clicked to accept. It went to the FF download website and I found the Linux versions. It downloaded and un-Tar ed and then................. Nothing happened.

I am used to Windoz stuff which downloads, installs etc all automatically. How should I manually drive the installation to put it in. I looked into the software manager, it doesn't have v57 on offer yet, the best it can do is the same version that I already have.

Ta.

Rans6......................

ps I will not be looking to attempt this until Sunday evening so if I don't come back on here until then please don't take offence. I will be grateful for your suggestions.

Jet II
2nd Dec 2017, 01:14
I find it always easier to install programs through Synaptic Manager or the Software Centre.

If you choose to download direct from the website then extract the firefox folder and move to the /opt directory - sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox57

Hope this helps.

http://www.pprune.org/members/45775-jet-ii-albums-pics-picture815-synaptic-manager.png