PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Helicopters H120 ceasing production

chopper2004
29th Nov 2017, 17:11
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2017-11-27/airbus-helicopters-shuts-down-h120-production

Any thoughts here?

cheers

wrench1
29th Nov 2017, 17:20
Maybe scared of the 505.................................

Hughes500
29th Nov 2017, 17:51
Well it wasnt up to much the 341/2 was a better machine

RVDT
29th Nov 2017, 18:46
The announcement came from Guillaume Faury, CEO of Airbus Helicopters,
during a meeting with the Association of Journalists Specialized in Aeronautics (AJPAE)
in France. "We will no longer invest in entry-level helicopters like the H120.
This program will gradually stop, and in the single-turbine helicopter segment, we are now
focusing on the H125/130 range,”explained Faury. Airbus Helicopters is committed to
continuing to support the global H120 fleet with the same level of support and services as today,"

He probably nailed it in the last part of his press release. They have never really understood the market
for this aircraft. In fact they are incapable of it as proven.

we are now focusing on the H125/130 range, better late than never I guess. The reason the H125/130
became successful is there is competition in the support field. Not so with the 120 and nobody has had the option.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with the aircraft. The problem is the service and support has never matched the
expectation of the type of customer that it attracts.

Simple solution - "give" it to Bruno Guimbal - let him look at it with 20/20 hindsight and improve it as EC120B2 and
sell it with Guimbal G4 or G5 on the side.

After all he knows as much about it as anyone possibly and it would save re-inventing the wheel?

widgeon
29th Nov 2017, 20:42
Same level of service LOL.

Twist & Shout
29th Nov 2017, 23:24
No “entry level” SE Helicopters, virtually no EC225s, trouble plagued 175s, and reports the A380 is “finished”.
I bet you can’t give Airbus shares away.

Tickle
30th Nov 2017, 02:10
I had to look up what an H125 was. I'm still struggling with the newer model designations.

Mee3
30th Nov 2017, 10:29
AH bash fest.

RickNRoll
30th Nov 2017, 10:48
No “entry level” SE Helicopters, virtually no EC225s, trouble plagued 175s, and reports the A380 is “finished”.
I bet you can’t give Airbus shares away.

Maybe you could check the share price. LMGTFY (http://bfy.tw/FJTT)

Both Airbus and Boeing can't produce planes fast enough.

FlimsyFan
30th Nov 2017, 14:07
AH bash fest.

Lovely to see RHC get a day off

GrayHorizonsHeli
1st Dec 2017, 01:34
after having put in about 8yrs overhauling the Main Module and Epi Modules, i can see why the 120 faultered. The cost to overhaul was ridiculous.
You could see the decline in sales as word got out that you had to sell your first born to cover the cost.

as350nut
1st Dec 2017, 06:27
Having owned sn 1252 I think it is a shame that the aircraft (EC120)never really achieved what might have been. It only had 2 problems, lack of power, although; within all stated parameters for weight it performed as quoted, but, with zero to spare unlike the squirrel, which performs outside the stated limits.
It is an aircraft that the airframe and its capacity is not matched to the power and drive train!
Secondly it is expensive to own, not a problem for those earning a living but not so great for private owners, ($45K Aud for 2 yr with nothing to fix).
I often wonder why Eurocopter had to re invent a lesser performing combination for power plant and rotor design at god knows what cost and not just use the AS350 head, blades , and engine. Nothing compares in the market to the EC120( including the new Bell 505)in relation to the luggage compartment, pax positioning, sliding door, smooth ride and speed. Looks like sex on a stick. How sad its over.

Mee3
1st Dec 2017, 10:14
I often wonder why Eurocopter had to re invent a lesser performing combination for power plant and rotor design at god knows what cost and not just use the AS350 head, blades , and engine. Nothing compares in the market to the EC120( including the new Bell 505)in relation to the luggage compartment, pax positioning, sliding door, smooth ride and speed. Looks like sex on a stick. How sad its over.
It was all a wrong bet. During the time it conceived, they were having problem with the elastomers on the squirrels as the power goes up. Some worried that the starflex had reach its end. Then the rest is just because EC gave up the entire thing half way through when the finance guy told them the little bird will never cut it. Or else like the 130, a "B2" could had been that perfect machine for those who can afford.

claudia
1st Dec 2017, 13:48
A good machine but simply priced out of the market by both turbomeca
and eurocopter. Turbomeca will in time do the same to the 505.

xbdt
3rd Dec 2017, 15:15
Eurocopter lost money on every EC120 they built.
Nice looking machine but not a helicopter with the Aerospatiale philosophy (power and power reserve).
Look at helicopters like the Lama, Gazelle, AS350(x)... all have RESERVE power.
The EC120 has no power to hover with 5 people and fuel on board, it takes off like a 100hp piston airplane. Useless machine. They tried the airframe with a diesel engine to lower the cost but it ended up in the closet due to weight and temp concerns.
They mostly use it as a training machine (2 POB no problem of course).
In 2016 they made one EC120; not very successful.
Nearly all MGB have metal chips among many other problems with that type of drive train. AH can not overhaul these in time. In France about 20 EC120 are "in maintenance progress" due to not getting parts in time (mainly overhaul and repair of MGB).
The Chinese company that made the tail booms stopped production so be careful with the flares as there is NO replacement for these anymore.
Good decision AH!

ShyTorque
4th Dec 2017, 08:16
Long live the Gazelle!

BOBAKAT
4th Dec 2017, 09:46
start the Gazelle Line again !

toptobottom
4th Dec 2017, 12:01
The EC120 has no power to hover with 5 people and fuel on board, it takes off like a 100hp piston airplane. Useless machine.What utter tosh. The 120 does not have an abundance of power and for hot/high operations, it's not likely to be near the top of anyone's shopping list. However, it looks good, is reasonably fast, well designed, spacious, quiet, economical and has plenty of storage space. It's a shame the machine put on 250KG between the drawing board and the end of the production line, but it still has its place - particularly given the alternatives in that area of the market.

HeliHenri
4th Dec 2017, 12:09

They mostly use it as a training machine (2 POB no problem of course).
In 2016 they made one EC120; not very successful.
In France about 20 EC120 are "in maintenance progress" due to not getting parts in time (mainly overhaul and repair of MGB).

There are a litle bit more than 100 EC120 used fot training wordlwild for 700 produced.
In 2016, they made 5 EC120 (4 during the first 9 nomths of 2017).Not very successful indeed.
In France, there are exactly 20 EC120 registred for civilian use.