PDA

View Full Version : Warrant Officer John Henry Coates Ex Treble One recovered

NutLoose
29th Nov 2017, 12:48
The search is now on for his family, glad to see another is "coming home"

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/the-spitfire-that-time-couldn-t-bury-1-8876435

Wander00
29th Nov 2017, 13:47
I find myself quite moved by the story. Hope they find his family.

Shack37
29th Nov 2017, 20:49
Thanks also to those Italian guys for their good work.:D

pincopallo68
4th Jan 2018, 17:08
good morning
I am a partner and responsible for research of the Romagna air finders
if you want to follow our work
for the research of Jhon Henry Coates and other research you can do it at these links
thank you so much

FACEBOOK SITE : Romagna Air Finders

ALBUM PHOTO FB SITE : in Romagna Air Finders - Spitfire MK IX , Cavarzere , marzo 1945 , ottobre 2017 .

YOUTUBE CHANNEL (subscribe) : Romagna Air Finders

I can confirm that at least 6 grandchildren have already been found
and surely there will be many others as the pilot had 6 people between brothers and sisters

By , Venturi Pierpaolo ( in FB)

AndyWatts
5th Jan 2018, 02:25
Harry was my great uncle. Given that we have only one photo of him, very little about him is known and I grew up being told he was shot down over Lake Como, it is guys like the Romagna Air Finders group who do much more than find old aeroplanes in the dirt. I did 17 years in the RAF so Harry was always at the back of my mind and I’ve found out more about him in the last 2 months than I ever knew. We’re all eternally grateful to the group for their commitment.

I thoroughly recommend looking through their pictures of the excavation. The conditions they were working in look pretty dreadful - wet, boggy clay. But it look like that clay has had an amazing, preservative effect on the aircraft. The airframe is not recognisable - it’s just bits, but some of the items they pulled out are in superb condition. I reckon BBMF could re-use the tyre on the tailwheel!

Anyway, thanks again to these guys for their dedication and work. Especially for the respect they paid, and the ceremony they gave Harry, when his remains were discovered. There’s another thread going on about war graves. Harry’s funeral will not be until 2019 apparently, and he will be buried in Italy. I’ll try and keep this thread updated if anyone’s interested.

NutLoose
5th Jan 2018, 05:31
Thank you for the update and well done :)

yorky66
7th Jan 2018, 15:18
Thank you 'Nutloose' for creating this thread and all for your kind comments in particular Andy Watts who has expressed my feelings far better than I could.
W O John Henry Coates (Harry) was my uncle and as Andy has said for 72 years we all thought he had perished at Lake Como and would never be found.
Only through the dedication and massive efforts of these wonderful Italian guys of Romagna Air Finders and AirCrash PO Airfinders have we found Harry and his Spitfire and he will now have the funeral he deserves. They searched for some 2 years evidently after receiving reports from locals and finding a Luftwaffe aircraft in the area earlier.
I first found out when my sister rang me on 22nd Dec 2017 my 75th birthday...you can imagine the surprise.
A number of nephews and nieces are now aware of the news.
Through these Italian guys we have found out so much..even his Spitfire IXC serial PT410 and 111 Squadron code JU-R.
I never did Facebook but now several of these chaps are my facebook friends and we cannot thank them enough. John Coates

glad rag
7th Jan 2018, 15:53
One of those threads make you feel incredibly humble.

roving
7th Jan 2018, 16:21
Indeed wonderful and very moving.

The Yorkshire Post article gives the date as 5 March 1945.

On that date the O.C. of 111 Squadron was Sqn Ldr B.F.G. Darby D.F.C. That officer was K.I.A. three days later on 8 March 1945 and he was buried at Argenta Gap War Cemetery.

The Argenta Gap War Cemetery is one of the larger Commonwealth War Cemeteries in Italy. The cemetery holds 625 war graves - most of them graves of soldiers that were killed in the northern part of Italy during the last few months of World War II. Quite a number of higher ranking officers are buried at this cemetery.

http://www.euro-t-guide.com/See_Coun/Italy/NE/I_See_Argenta_Gap_War_Cemetery_5-1.htm

If Warrant Officer Coates is buried there too, he will be in good company.