PDA

View Full Version : Need Help figuring this out !

asmith474
28th Nov 2017, 07:25
Hi everyone. I’m looking to start my pilot training with the goal of eventually working back in Dubai or in the UAE. Looking at the job requirements for the various middle eastern airlines almost all of them are asking for an ICAO ATPL. Originally, I planned to study in the USA as flight schools there are almost half the cost of Europe/UK however I am unsure as to whether this USA pilot schools lead to an ICAO ATPL.
I see all UK/Europe schools include ATPL theory so are only these schools considered ICAO ATPL?

Essentially, I’m looking for advice on whether to study in the US or Europe if the end goal is to work in the middle east. I would have to travel to both places as I currently live in Dubai, but I do hold a British passport and Peruvian passport. Thanks.

magicmick
28th Nov 2017, 13:18
US is an ICAO member state so any commercial licence issued by FAA should be ICAO compliant.

bafanguy
28th Nov 2017, 13:30
Here ya go:

https://www.icao.int/MemberStates/Member%20States.Multilingual.pdf

jockey69
28th Nov 2017, 15:52
since you are from DXB check out EK's EFTA (Emirates Flight Training Academy).also you may want to try EY Cadet Pilot Programme.

asmith474
28th Nov 2017, 17:32
many thanks for the reply's fellas. So from what I understand with USA flight school i would eventually attain an ICAO atpl and wouldnt have to do the 14 exams like in Europe. Is that correct ?

rudestuff
28th Nov 2017, 19:08
That's correct. The FAA has one exam each for private, instrument, commercial and ATP.
Both EASA and FAA ATP(L)s are ICAO licences - and both need 1500 hours. You can't just go to flight school and come out with one - you come out of flight school with a CPL/IR. Then you get a job flying for a couple of years to build up to 1500 hours. Then you can think about the ATP(L).

The way I read it, you want to fly big jets without having to take those 14 exams, right? It doesn't work like that in practice. If you get an FAA licence, you'll (most likely) need to live and work in the US as a flight instructor to get the hours. Take the tests and you'll have your ATP - but no jet time, so the airlines in the Middle East won't touch you. If you have the legal right to live and work in the US you could fly for a regional airline for a couple of years, then move over. In short, an FAA licence generally means spending years working your way up to big jets.

On the other hand, if you take the EASA exams, and have the legal right to live and work there - you can start off on a Jet straight away. After a few years you could get your ATPL with plenty of jet time. The advert might say ICAO ATPL, but what they are looking for is experience.

asmith474
28th Nov 2017, 21:28
since you are from DXB check out EK's EFTA (Emirates Flight Training Academy).also you may want to try EY Cadet Pilot Programme.

I believe the cadet program is for nationals only ... I live here through my work visa but my nationality is british

jockey69
29th Nov 2017, 09:32
i dont think there are that many Emiraitis around to fly the kind of number of aircrafts they have on order.try your luck...they may just take you...if they like you(post their assessments).after all you live and work in the UAE.

asmith474
29th Nov 2017, 15:07
I looked online but couldnt find anything for the cadet program. Only cadet programs for nationals for both emirates and etihad

flybyschool
2nd Dec 2017, 17:13
Just make sure you attend an ATPL program in the US... most pilots go to CPL courses in the US

ATPL are typically requested in Europe, GCC...

note that transferring your ICAO ATPL license to EASA will require you to retake all 14 subjects in Europe...

rudestuff
3rd Dec 2017, 11:43
To work in the ME you can have FAA or EASA - but to get a job you'll need ~3000 hours of airline time. To get that jet time you'll need an airline job.

EASA licence holders can get a European airline job with 200 hours.

FAA certificate holders can get a US airline job with 1500 hours.

There are a few exceptions, true. But it really is a no-brainer.

asmith474
4th Dec 2017, 06:40
Seems the best method would be to take an EASA course in the usa. I was looking at job boards in the UAE and many request an ICAO ATPL.

Can anyone comment on the pilot training/licensing in canada. From what ive seen you finish with a fATPL like the european system while only paying half the price.