PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Embassy Seige

Banana4321
28th Nov 2017, 03:20
During the Iranian Embassy siege that took place in London in spring 1980, it has often been claimed (including at the time), that aircraft en-route to LHR were routed over the embassy in order to cover the noise generated by preparations/observations.

Looking at the map, Princes Gate is not really on the extended centreline from either runway.

Is this snippet actually correct? and if so how was it executed and was it compulsory? Were questions asked over the air etc?

Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2017, 06:51
Heathrow was on easterlies so the inbounds got nowhere near the embassy. At the request of the security people all Heathrow outbounds flew a heading after take-off to route them over the embassy. I was the SVFR Director at the time and it was very quiet so I was given the task of talking to all the outbounds. After they had passed the embassy they were turned on to headings to put them back on track. Great fun.

OyYou
28th Nov 2017, 07:10
One of the few things that the Trident was good at. Generating a lot of noise from 3000 feet after take off on the easterlies.
Regards

chevvron
28th Nov 2017, 08:00
One of the few things that the Trident was good at. Generating a lot of noise from 3000 feet after take off on the easterlies.
Regards
Correction; before take off - most of the noise was generated from the intakes sucking air in.

ex-EGLL
28th Nov 2017, 13:12
I was working departures at the time, many aircraft asking why they were being put on a heading away from the SID, I think my response was "due noise"! As HD says, good fun!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2017, 14:15
I knew it had to be a lunatic on DEPs - I still have the grey hairs! 88 to Lyn.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2017, 21:24
There were no temp procedures, Brian, at least not written down!! It all happened mega-fast. The APC SUP put us in the picture and asked who would work the outbounds. I was doing nothing so I volunteered! I put everything to the appropriate TMA at around the Kilburn area.

Banana4321
28th Nov 2017, 21:44
Ah v interesting. What height would they have achieved by then? Did you know why you were being asked (I suppose it was obvious either way!)? Were planes given a height restriction to?

Again, very interesting. Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Nov 2017, 06:42
They climbed to their SID altitude. Exactly what altitude they achieved was dependent on many factors. Short haul would get there quicker than long haul.

I volunteered to do it as I was the least busy controller in the room. The others were dealing with Heathrow inbounds as usual.

ex-EGLL
29th Nov 2017, 19:49
If I remember correctly, and that's a big if, the deps were given an initial height / altitude of 2000 or 2500 ft with further climb at a specific point just before the embassy. This ensured that when the a/c were given a turn back onto the sid they were in a climbing turn as they crossed the embassy, hence max noise!