PDA

View Full Version : NASA AVIATION SAFETY REPORTING SYSTEM in Canada?

okipoki
28th Nov 2017, 01:45
Hi all,

I am a newly arrived pilot in Canadian airspace from the south. Do you guys have the equivalent of NASA AVIATION SAFETY REPORTING SYSTEM? My Canadian colleagues seem to know little about our NASA Report system, which I think is a great contributor for the safety of our industry. I will be so grateful if you can enlighten me.

Safe flight,

Okipoki

pchapman
28th Nov 2017, 16:31
I came across this on programs like NASA ASRS internationally: https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/international/overview.html
It mentions a Canadian program CASRP, which nowadays is known as SECURITAS:
Transportation Safety Board of Canada - SECURITAS (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/securitas/)
(It covers other modes of transport too, not just aviation).
It is run by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (our NTSB), not Transport Canada (our FAA).
But I don't know specifically of any feature like the FAA's waiving penalties for unintentional FAR busts. Still, the TSB of Canada states that "it will not take any action that might reveal the reporter's identity."

I'm just a private pilot who flies occasionally so I'm not really familiar with all the details. So this is just a first stab at an answer.

Edit: I thought the NASA ASRS program was very well known internationally, even if mistakenly thought of as the "NASA get out of jail free thing".
Edit2: The most popular Canadian forum I know of is Avcanada.ca

J.O.
28th Nov 2017, 19:59
SECURITAS is not the same as NASA ASRS, not by a long shot. The aviation head of NRC offered to fund and administer a similar system back in the days when SMS was an infant in Canada. For reasons I will never understand, someone high up at TC squashed the idea.

777AV8R
29th Nov 2017, 01:23
Although not exactly the same as the NASA ASRS, the SECURITAS reporting system guarantees anonymity and safety of the person reporting the details. Furthermore; TSB is not associated with TC and remains an independent investigative body.

okipoki
29th Nov 2017, 02:06
I am truly grateful for your replies, guys. PPRUNE can be a great place to gather knowledge from fellow pilots. Wish you all the wonderful holiday season and safe flight.

Okipoki