PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 wing tip stall

Driver 170
27th Nov 2017, 16:25
I’m currently studying ATPL PoF for my own leisure.

How much in the design of the swept back wing on a Boeing has it reduced the tendency of the wing tip to stall first?

Will the swept wing still stall at the tip even though it has these artificial modifications like wing fences and vortilons?

Also does winglets have a key factor at reducing the wing tip to stall first also?

RAT 5
27th Nov 2017, 18:25
Washout of the wing cord angle is what protects the tip from stalling first. How much has it reduced the tendency? Enough. But remember it as to continue to do so during all the flap configurations. Clever guys.
Wing tips, I believe, are primarily a drag reduction feature. I'm not educated in their design. I would assume they have some affect on tip stall characterises, but what/how/how-much/why is for the boffins to tell me.

Driver 170
27th Nov 2017, 18:43
So washout and Camber change is the biggy here then. So making the tip sharper will have a reduced local CL then at that part of the wing so making the stalling angle greater?

Now does Effective AOA play a role also for this type of wing? I believe the Effective AOA is greater at the wing tip due to reduced downwash because of winglets and high apsect ratio. So wont this stall first also because of the greater local AOA?

Please excuse my explanation and words chosen :)