PDA

View Full Version : RAF firefighting museum closing

NutLoose
26th Nov 2017, 00:28
Probably like you I never knew it existed, and now I do I feel embarrassed and saddened it hasn't been supported more. See

Museum of RAF Firefighting | Museum dedicated to RAF Firefighting History preserving the past to safeguard the future (http://firemuseum.uk/)

cyclic35
26th Nov 2017, 07:49
Probably like you I never knew it existed, and now I do I feel embarrassed and saddened it hasn't been supported more. See

Museum of RAF Firefighting | Museum dedicated to RAF Firefighting History preserving the past to safeguard the future (http://firemuseum.uk/)

Thank you. Ditto. :{

air pig
26th Nov 2017, 11:24
Could it move to Cosford?

Wander00
26th Nov 2017, 11:58
Slight thread drift, but my first meeting wit "Aunty" Joan Hopkins was "fire " related. I was flt cdr in DIOT at the Towers, but posted on promotion to Neatishead a few weeks hence. The two group captains did a deal that I should go to Neatishead for a pre Taceval ground defence exercise in which I would be ground defence commander.

I turn up at Neatishead as instructed, I am shown the ops desk, and before I can say "what the...." my predecessor has disappeared. So there I am, know no one, no nothing of what is going on, and have not even seen the real estate. Before I can read myself in past the first page of the instructions an message comes in that there is a "fire at the transmitter site". Map shows that to be at Stalham about 5 miles away, so on the basis that where we are is the main asset and only one fire engine I issue an instruction to CPX call to civilian fire brigade to attend. A nanosecond later a smoke wreathed cabbage kit clad bundle of energy is in front of my desk. "When there is fire on my station squadron leader it has flame coming from it - send the fire engine and crew" "Yes, Ma'am (having noticed the rank braid) I stammer. That's blown it, that's a posting and promotion blown (had I said that part of the bosses' deal was that I was to be dressed as a pretend sqn ldr). later she came an d had a chat and all seemed well.

Clearly the improved confidence had gone to me head as at the main briefing at 1800, after the fighter controllers had said their various pieces, I stood up to do the ground defence brief, and introduced myself - "Station Commander, ladies and gentlemen, so far I have not understood a thing - I hope I do better". At which point I wondered if I had gone too far, but, no Aunty Joan was roaring her head off. Turned into a pretty good tour too.

Tankertrashnav
26th Nov 2017, 17:29
I did the fire officers' course at Catterick in 1967 prior to posting to Seletar as station fire officer. That said I am ashamed to say I had no idea there was a Museum of RAF Firefighting.

Cat Funt
27th Nov 2017, 15:30
What is to become of the world's largest collection of string vests and volleyball nets?

Saintsman
27th Nov 2017, 16:48
Hardly surprising, as I doubt that it makes the general public's top 100 museums to visit and therefore doesn't generate much income.

Would be a shame to lose it though, so maybe it could go to somewhere like Cosford (as mentioned by air pig).

MPN11
27th Nov 2017, 18:33
Looking at the photos in their gallery brought back many memories. I hadn't remembered the Mk. 6 being that boxy ... perhaps I've been overexposed to civvy airport fire trucks too muck.

Davef68
28th Nov 2017, 09:57
It actually closed to visitors about a year ago, all the exhibits have been packed up and put in storage, but the guys behind it still take vehicles out to exhibit at shows.

I think they are still looking for a permanent home

biggles111
28th Nov 2017, 11:11
They should approach the National Emergency Services Museum in Sheffield

Roadster280
28th Nov 2017, 14:22
Why is the hangar at Scampton no longer available?

pr00ne
28th Nov 2017, 16:11
Roadster280,

Maybe the RAF wants the hangar back? As Scampton appears to have a future, and as so many stations don’t, perhaps having 25% of the hangar space allocated to a museum made no sense?

NutLoose
28th Nov 2017, 16:39
Dave I take it you know them, I drive past an old Sea Scout fire engine everyday which is more or less complete with everything in it, I could take a picture if you want to see it.

Davef68
28th Nov 2017, 17:55
Not personally, but I've seen them at shows.

You can contact them at

[email protected]

Roadster280
28th Nov 2017, 18:10
Roadster280,

Maybe the RAF wants the hangar back? As Scampton appears to have a future, and as so many stations don’t, perhaps having 25% of the hangar space allocated to a museum made no sense?

I was just curious. 4 C type sheds and only one squadron would imply plenty of space to me, but maybe the expansion of the Heritage Centre is happening.

NutLoose
28th Nov 2017, 18:27
Well the front end of the Lanc is now at East Kirkby, that left Scampton.

Davef68
28th Nov 2017, 18:30
Discovered today they are actually moving to a new site near Gainsborough, due to reopen in 2018

https://www.facebook.com/Raffiremuseum

Always a Sapper
28th Nov 2017, 19:16
Only one Fire Museum? I am surprised, having been in a few I thought every station had one. Normally found next to the tower.... :suspect:

I know, hat, coat and taxi for one.....

AR1
28th Nov 2017, 19:23
I visualise numerous battered drip trays filled with flammable material while an accompanying sound track shouts 'play it to the back' on repeat.

Always a Sapper
28th Nov 2017, 19:35
I visualise numerous battered drip trays filled with flammable material while an accompanying sound track shouts 'play it to the back' on repeat.

Or a certain 'Watch' happily sat in the crew room watching the telly while their kitchen went up in flames and smoke....

Allegedly caused by a budding cook/arsonist putting the roast potato pan c/w goose fat and tat's under the grill to keep warm and forgetting....

Couldn't ever say where, but I believe the local golf courses were of international fame....

NutLoose
29th Nov 2017, 12:17
Or the VC10 ground run I was on at Brize when the IGV's let go during a slam check, the engine surged, spat flames out the front end, the turbine out the back and up the detuner resulting in a metal mushroom shaped shower, you couldn't read a guage in the cockpit and even the line office could feel the ground shaking, with fire alarms going off and the engine not responding to throttle imputs, we chopped it and dumped the fire ex into it... the lad on the long lead departing from the scene reckoned it stopped within a couple of revolutions from 80 odd % RPM.....

Getting out and wandering up to the fire engine parked out front (required on high powered runs) I asked the said Corporal "did you notice anything strange?" "That was noisy and I could feel it through the fire engine".. "Ohh I says, so did you see the flames coming out of the intake and the turbine coming out of the detuner, closely followed by the whole aircraft rock as it seized solid"....."Bugger.... I have been a fireman for 19 odd years he responds, and I have never had a real aircraft fire, and when I have one, I am sitting about 20 foot in front of it, I miss it"

Or the lads on a max diff run when the recirc fan in the cockpit burns out and promptly fills the Ten with Hydrogen Cyanide smoke, donning the crew masks they go onto oxygen and call out they have a fire onboard over the radio... Trumpton responds, Guy running it says to outside man whatever you do stop the firemen getting near the doors as we are still at max diff... Firewagon turfs up, outside man standing at the bottom of the steps more or less rugby tackled by the fireman as he charges up and tries to open the door ( Not that he would be able to) outside man eventually recovers and pulls him away explaining that if he managed to open it he would be dead.. I believe after that they were briefed about the dangers.

But there when you need them

Wensleydale
30th Nov 2017, 07:06
Why is the hangar at Scampton no longer available?

I believe that it is needed for use by the Air Show organisers following the transfer from Waddington to Scampton.

Davef68
30th Nov 2017, 09:28
They used a hanger for storing the vehicles and had a museum with smaller exhibits in one of the office buildings - it's the latter that was needed for the airshow organisers, so they had to pack up the small exhibits. The vehicles are moving to the new site as there is room there for both.

Ogre
30th Nov 2017, 10:28
"Museum of RAF Firefighting", normally only seen when the Civvie Fire Service goes on strike and the collection of Green Goddess antiques are deployed.......

NutLoose
30th Nov 2017, 11:31
You would have thought they would be an asset for the airshow as the RAF are normally pitiful these days at displaying anything... I went to Cosford a couple of years ago and that started with a "flyby" down the runway of the fire section vehicles followed by the medical section vehicles followed by the Padre... I thought then, yup, they are desperate for anything to display, and it turned out to be the case... It was pitiful and embarrasing.