PDA

View Full Version : Florida weather

Crosswind Limits
2nd Dec 2001, 13:44
I am planning to go to Florida in late January/early February for a couple months to hour-build and do a rating or two. What's the weather like at that time of the year?

Cheers.

Matthewjharvey
2nd Dec 2001, 14:15
This is an excellent time to visit Florida as it is the dry season and the temperatures will not be unpleasantly hot. The odd Canadian cold front can bring significant drops in temperature with a few showers and possibly even frost overnight but prolonged periods of non VFR weather would be unusual.

DownIn3Green
2nd Dec 2001, 15:49
Depends where you go.

South Fla (Naples, FLL, MIA) wx differs considerably from Central (MCO, DAB) Fla wx.

big.al
2nd Dec 2001, 16:04
Down in 3 Green -

From your local knowledge, what's the weather like at MCO in April/May? I'm due there mid April.

Thanks.

GoneWest
3rd Dec 2001, 02:09
big.al

you didn't ask me ....but the answer is WET (rainy season March/April)...getting warmer and drier in May

3db
3rd Dec 2001, 02:17
Having been in Florida at that time of year, and due to go next month (Jan), I agree with downin3green. In 1994 had an interseting time, Wx was forecast solid VFR back to FXE from DABS. On climb out entered fog at 800 feet. Within 10 mins the entire coast was fog bound to SUA, OK inland. Yes, I did get a WX brief just 10 mins before T/O, albit it was 3.00AM. When the cold air from the North hits the warm florida area, strange things can, and do, happen.

Crosswind Limits
3rd Dec 2001, 12:24
Thanks guys but what is the weather like in the Orlando region in February and March and possibly first week of April?

bow5
3rd Dec 2001, 13:57
Er.....Gone West, that doesn't sound quite right to me. ;)

I was there for the whole of April (arrived on the 2nd and left on the 29th) this year and it rained for about 2 hours one day. In fact it was so hot and dry they had big problems with forest fires. Unless this was a total freak year and the locals were lying to me then it's like that every year. The rest of the time was perfect VFR flying weather. Ask any local and they will tell you April is one of the best months in Florida. It's virtualy always dry and hot but without the debilitating humidity and afternoon thunderstorms of later summer. When I go back there to fly I will most definately aim to go in April.

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: bow5 ]

DownIn3Green
3rd Dec 2001, 21:15
MCO in Apr/May, Excellent in my opinion...not hot enough to be uncomfortable, but still warm enough for shorts and t-shirts...added advantage: Spring Break!!!

Any earlier than that it's a bit chilly for my tastes, but coming from the UK, you may find it great anyway.

Enjoy.