PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Downlink Antennas for live broadcast

bluesideoops
23rd Nov 2017, 02:18
If you get an STC/mod for downlink antennas for live broadcast like this for example:

Crosstube Antenna Mount AS350 / AS355 (http://www.dartaerospace.com/d350-836-019-airbus-crosstube-antenna-mount-as350-as355)

Is the rest of the equipment considered 'role' equipment and not needed to be covered by STC/mod? Do broadcast companies generally bring along all the gear and just need the heli to have the antennas to downlink via?

How about ELA/EM considerations.....

Uplinker
23rd Nov 2017, 07:30
We used to bring and fit the whole kit, including aerials and actuators.

This was in the days before I was a pilot and I can’t remember what the exact legal situation was, but on our installations, the aircraft engineer associated with the helicopter signed it all off.

If we needed a different aerial for a particular reason, we just swapped it over.

So I think the basic mounting(s) must have been CAA approved but the exact aerials and layout used on a particular day were not set in stone, as long as they were mounted securely and wirelocked etc.

What project do you have in mind? I used to do this sort of thing a lot.

bluesideoops
24th Nov 2017, 06:18
@Uplinker yes we are looking at how we modify the aircraft and how the 'role equipment' will link to the antennas for the broadcast and what, if any, EMC/ELA considerations we need to make....actually the manufacturer has a very good SB that basically says, more than 25A electrical draw, 30W EM emission or HF aerial then you need to do an EMC assessment - this doesn't need to be part of the mod just needs to be carried out separately if you can't meet that criteria above. At this stage its looking like a minor mod as no significant effects on W & B, electrical load, structure etc and yes looking for a mod that covers multiple different sizes and shapes of antenna under a specified range for the antenna/co-ax then the rest is 'role' equipment which doesn't draw power from the aircraft system and doesn't need to be covered by STC/mod

mnttech
25th Nov 2017, 10:58
The 25A electrical draw, 30W EM emission or HF aerial along with a distance from a FADEC is right out of AC 27-1B here in the US.
Is that the STC manufacture or the airframe manufacture? Just wondering.
US wise, this is a pretty open STC, I'm surprised there is not more about EMC testing.
Even though the 'role' equipment does not draw power from the aircraft, I assume there would have to be some testing for EMC, to verify there is no effect to the required aircraft systems.

wrench1
25th Nov 2017, 13:51
blue:
If I understand your question, you are looking to develop a STC/Mod to install an external media broadcast downlink antenna on a helicopter?

And then want to know if the equipment that connects to your STC'd antenna mount needs to be included in the mount STC?

I have no recent experience with modifications on your side of the pond but from what I have seen with "similar" installs/STCs/Mods I believe it might be a major alteration or modification for both the mount and the attached equipment.

A quick look on the EASA website found these which may point you in the right direction to answer some of your questions:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/the-agency/faqs/general-aviation#category-classification-of-avionics-changes

https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/FAQ_change_classification.pdf

FYI: With today's digitally controlled aircraft just about every new STC, etc. I've seen lately that has any possible EMI generation requires some sort of interference certification.

Even a simple PulseLight module requires an user based EMI check for every new installation and that STC only controls the existing landing light circuit. So I would think a RF downlink would be close to the top.

Good luck.
W1