PDA

View Full Version : Works and MS Edge

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2017, 22:46
To my astonishment, W10 works quite well on a pall's old Dell Celeron with only 2 gigs. However, his Works 8.5 disk threatens to modify Internet Explorer. Hmm, after hours of updating and licence-getting, I'm really afraid to undo all this (unpaid) work.

Keeping this laptop is a lot to do with us oldies seeing the screen. 1440 is an almost perfect compromise and having taken him to PC World, there wasn't one that he could see without a microscope.

He's fairly sure he's got a printer - somewhere, so it would be nice to write a letter occasionally. Works would be fine.

People say it will run on 10, but don't cover the issue of it messing up Edge.

The Dell CD has a Microsoft label but only a Tracking ID with 14 numbers after it. I guess that might only work with the original Vista.

Any thoughts?

Money is not the main issue. Keeping things simple is. Going to any program that required altering file formats for example, is a non starter.

LookingForAJob
23rd Nov 2017, 07:14
Take a look at OpenOffice (it's a suite and I can't recall what the word processor is called but you used to be able to install that bit only). Free and very capable.

PJD1
23rd Nov 2017, 08:48
MS Edge and Internet Explorer are two completely different things (both are available on Windows 10 but Edge is set to be the default browser). I cannot imagine that installing Works 8.5 would have any effect on either, Windows would not allow the installer to overwrite newer versions with an older version. However as suggested Open Office might be a better option, it is free and would be a much more up to date word processor than Works.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2017, 09:13
MS Edge and Internet Explorer are two completely different things

I had assumed Edge was just a progression. A small overview of your understanding of the difference would be appreciated.

Open Office or indeed Libra are way too complex for my friend. Just the Word part of Works is all he needs.*

The 8.5 installation disc started to run okay, but then made the specific statement that it would be something like, modifying IE. Since I thought Edge was just a new version of IE (I never use either) then I feared for an installation that had taken many, many hours to update to the "Thank you for installing the very latest version of W10" message. Almost those words. I had indeed given up at one stage.

It runs well now - fingers crossed - but I see mixed messages on forums about 8.5 and 9.0 Works with W10 None of the posters mention the 'attack' on the MS's browser.

PJD1
23rd Nov 2017, 09:26
I had assumed Edge was just a progression. A small overview of your understanding of the difference would be appreciated.

MS Edge is a completely new browser, it is not a development of Internet Explorer. Both browsers are installed with W10 but Edge is set to be the default (you can change this if you wish!). Internet Explorer is still there, if you click on "Start > Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer" you will find it. I cannot imagine that installing Works would have any adverse effect on either browser.

OldLurker
23rd Nov 2017, 09:44
MS Edge is a new browser, not a progression of Internet Explorer – at least according to people who ought to know. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge (if you're one of those who don't believe anything on Wikipedia, check out the references).

As regards Works installation "threatening to modify Internet Explorer": it'd be helpful if you could tell us what the message actually said. For example, it seems that Internet Explorer may use files with .wps extension or that the .wps file extension may somehow become associated with IE; if all that the Works installation wants to do is to take that file association away from IE (as it must, since Works files have .wps extension), then let it. There shouldn't be a problem, especially if you don't use IE anyway, which many people would advise.

PJD1
23rd Nov 2017, 11:16
MS Edge is a new browser, not a progression of Internet Explorer.

Exactly what I said in the previous post :rolleyes:

PDR1
23rd Nov 2017, 11:25
Open Office or indeed Libra are way too complex for my friend. Just the Word part of Works is all he needs.*

If that is really true then your friend should look at Wordpad, which is automatically included as part of the W10 installation (and many previous ones). That may well to everything he/she* wants and it's already there...

PDR

* other gender-forms are available, but as yet they lack specific gender pronouns in English. So if this upsets you I refer you to your nearest cunning linguist for further advice

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2017, 11:26
I was surprised to find IE there. Thanks. It looks as though it might be okay - except the product has only the Dell Track ID That could stop it dead after the install as there is no Dell bloatwhare now.

The picture of the Works message keeps failing. Run out of time but will copy it verbatim soonest.

I'm getting a feeling Libra or Open might have to be the answer or a used boxed item. We'll see. Thanks for help folks.

Any preferences with Libra etc., ?

le Pingouin
23rd Nov 2017, 12:36
You could try AbiWord:

https://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.9.4/Windows/

It's light on resources so ideal for older hardware and the interface is fairly friendly to the basic user. Unfortunately the Windows version is no longer supported and that's the latest available.

Mac the Knife
24th Nov 2017, 16:26
I was just about to suggest Abiword - didn't know it was abandonware. But it should still work - simple word-processing doesn't change.

The LibreOffice package is excellent, but it's a very big hammer for a very small nail.

Use Ableword (see my new Thread) if it is only for letter writing - free and won't bugger up anything.

Alles van die Beste

Mac

:cool:

PDR1
24th Nov 2017, 17:46
Try Wordpad - you'll find it under Windows Accessories in your start menu. It doesn't do headers and footers, or page numbering, but it does basic word processing with different fonts, font sizes, line spacing, insertable pictures n stuff, and it looks just like Word to use.

It's free, and you already have it installed...

PDR

le Pingouin
24th Nov 2017, 18:39
AbiWord is still alive and kicking on Linux - it's only the Windows version that's been canned due to lack of developers apparently.

Loose rivets
24th Nov 2017, 23:54
Ta muchly everyone.