PDA

View Full Version : PPL FI jobs opportunities UK

flying free.LEVC
21st Nov 2017, 12:14
Hi, i am a modular ATPL student, currently PPL holder, ATPL theoretical examinations done with first time passes and high grades, 130 total time. I´ve got a part time job and my family has helped economically too, just came back from doing time building in the Southwest of the United States.

It turns out that my family is economically a bit tight, they just told me after returning from the States and I´ve got 18 months to finish all the training...or lose it.

I´ve considered becoming a PPL flight instructor directly instead of doing IR, CPL and me, it would be less money and would need to get 70 more hours of time building. I´ve also got teaching experience from my current job and feel it´s second nature to me, I like having students and I know would enjoy it.

I just wanted to get some advice, what would my employment options be as a PPL instructor with just the theory of the ATPL, if any schools would help me in any way to progress within the teaching industry and how tight my salary would be.

Kind regards,

Whopity
22nd Nov 2017, 07:37
they just told me after returning from the States and I´ve got 18 months to finish all the training...or lose it. Your ATPL exams have a 36 month window anyway in which to complete the CPL and IR, fortunately they remain valid infinitum for the FI course. Your best option is to do an IR then the CPL, most efficient use of hours. Whatever you do there is no guarantee of employment, but make best use of the 18 months and any funding you have, a job as an FI will probably need another full time job to support it, especiall with no hope of moving on.

rudestuff
22nd Nov 2017, 07:41
Are you saying that you don't have the money, and your exams expire in 18 months? To become an FI it doesn't matter if they expire, true. But consider this: as a PPL you would need 150 hours PIC instead of 100, plus 10 hours of instrument instruction. Also, an FI course costs slightly more than a CPL course, and the extra hour building would cost more than a CBIR. If you're hour building in the states, presumably you've been sensible and got an FAA IR, and not just flown around aimlessly?

It would be cheaper to get a CPL/IR single engine to save the exams, and add multi later.

airpolice
17th Dec 2017, 14:39
I just wanted to get some advice, what would my employment options be as a PPL instructor with just the theory of the ATPL, if any schools would help me in any way to progress within the teaching industry and how tight my salary would be.

You will make more money on a minimum wage job in a supermarket.