PDA

View Full Version : Military Accreditation Scheme

Swil
18th Nov 2017, 06:47
Hi All,

Had conflicting advice about the MAS and the requirements for a civvy licence! Got loads of light piston hours (bulldog/grob) with QFI and IR and left the Service a few years back. I’d now like to get a basic PPL but have been told that due to recent changes, I won’t get full credit for my Service flying. Yes I know I should have taken the simple option and got a PPL when I was current, but didn’t. DOH!!

Before I contact CAA to get clarification, can anyone here tell me what the latest situation is and what/where the applicable regs are? I have read the relevant sections of CAP 804 but it seems to be for reference only now!

Cheers

switch_on_lofty
18th Nov 2017, 07:52
If you've completed elementary flying training you're credited with the ppl course.
You'll need to do the ppl theory exams (easy) and a ppl skills tests and the rating for single engine piston at the same time.
You'll need someone military to sign off your experience to get the credit though.
In total it'll cost about £1k by the time you've done initial medical, bit of flying, exams, test and licence issue.
Any decent flying school should be able to help.
Just seen your post about cap 804, don't know the implications of this but I'd expect the accreditation to remain the same until they come up with something else.

mrspinx
18th Nov 2017, 11:36
Have a look on the ukflying.com website. The chap who runs it is mil and the website is focused around getting us civi licences.

The information above is spot on but beware some schools are a little unsure of the rules and will try get you to to cross country qualification. This is not needed.

1. Do your exams (loads of apps on Apple and play store for around £10, pretty much word for word questions)
2. Ensure you have 10hrs P1 fixed wing
3. Do a skills test and you'll get a nice shiny PPL.

I did a few dual sorties just to get me back up and running from the fixed wing side of things.

2 dual flights, 5 hours of p1 hours building (I only had 5hrs solo from elementary), a skills test and licence application feeds cost me just shy of £1500.

The B Word
18th Nov 2017, 16:44
Try your local Service Flying Club - they can normally help out veterans even if it’s just a temporary membership to get your licence sorted. Prices likely to be 2/3rds of commercial rates due to non-profit status. If you have an enhanced learning credit left then you can use that as well.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/

Yeovilton Flying Club | Home of the Yeovilton Flying Club (http://www.flyyfc.com)

Army Flying Association (http://www.armyflyingassociation.co.uk)

:ok:

GipsyMagpie
18th Nov 2017, 18:06
If you've completed elementary flying training you're credited with the ppl course.
You'll need to do the ppl theory exams (easy) and a ppl skills tests and the rating for single engine piston at the same time.
You'll need someone military to sign off your experience to get the credit though.
In total it'll cost about £1k by the time you've done initial medical, bit of flying, exams, test and licence issue.
Any decent flying school should be able to help.
Just seen your post about cap 804, don't know the implications of this but I'd expect the accreditation to remain the same until they come up with something else.

All spot on. I instruct at a service club and that's what we are working to successfully.

The cross country bit was from the old scheme. Don't forget to get your "free" aerobatic rating when you go for licence issue (which needs no training - but you will need some before you're allowed to hire a plane). Getting an IMC/IR(R) rating should be relatively easy too.

switch_on_lofty
18th Nov 2017, 19:22
Almost like I've done it recently!
First time anything I've posted on an internet forum has been called spot on. You've made my day!

MostlyHarmless
19th Nov 2018, 13:13
Have a look on the ukflying.com website. The chap who runs it is mil and the website is focused around getting us civi licences.

It's an older thread sir, but it checks out.

Damn helpful advice +1

DCThumb
26th Nov 2018, 14:52
My Employer has just offered me the chance to qualify as a TRI. Under the old CAP804, as an A2 ME QFI I received credit for the 25 Hour Teaching and Learning part of the course. I've been searching but to no avail - where do I find the latest guidance as to what I can be credited with?

Lima Juliet
26th Nov 2018, 19:36
My Employer has just offered me the chance to qualify as a TRI. Under the old CAP804, as an A2 ME QFI I received credit for the 25 Hour Teaching and Learning part of the course. I've been searching but to no avail - where do I find the latest guidance as to what I can be credited with?

CAP804 Section O. https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=6412

Please be aware it is due an update from ANO2016, however, most of it is still good to go. Have a read of that first.

Brain Potter
27th Nov 2018, 06:07

DCThumb. My advice is to complete that module, irrespective of your previous experience. It should show you some different techniques and philosophies from those employed by CFS. ) I found the focus on faciltation, NOTECHs and instructing in a simulatior to be particularly useful and considerably more advanced than I had been used to in the RAF.

deltahotel
27th Nov 2018, 11:31
+1 to that! There’s no real value in that exemption- you’ll do the course in company time and expense and be on the same sheet as everyone else doing that job.

rgds

DCThumb
3rd Dec 2018, 06:03
Thanks for the advice - I can’t believe that the CAA, who gave me such a hard time as a postholder for having a tick out of place on a form, allow a CAP labelled as ‘reference only’ to remain extant!