PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy monitors

Oneye
17th Nov 2017, 20:02
A plea to the guru fraternity if I may.
Ladies/Gentlemen, my custom (homebuilt) desktop is causing me angst, to put it politely.
Currently, I am running two 24" monitors from a Radeon R9 200, not exactly high end obviously. Despite the fact that all the display settings in device manager and monitors are set to 'sleep never', after 45 seconds or so of inactivitiy both monitors go to sleep mode.
By inactivity I mean, no mouse movement and only static images onscreen.
The slightest movement of the mouse, brings them back online, albeit after about three seconds.
My system comprises:

Gigagyte mainboard with an AMD FX-6300 Six core CPU and 16gb of RAM, together with the already mentioned Radeon R9 200.

I've 'played' about with the settings, even trying a system restore to before this problem became apparent, but all to no avail.
I'm reasonable compuer literate, in that I can build 'em and set them up, but software leaves me cold.

So kind people, can anyone shed some light or have experience of this sort of thing that they can enlighten me with please?

Saab Dastard
17th Nov 2017, 22:09
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\turn off the display:

Make sure that you are adjusting the power management plan that is active.

If that's set correctly and you are still having problems, check the settings for the screen saver. Failing that, reset the Power plan options to default and reconfigure to your preferences. Alternatively, create a new power pan and make it active.

You may have to do this with an administrative account.

SD

Oneye
18th Nov 2017, 06:21
SD many thanks for the prompts,:ok: why is the obvious, so obvious, you can't see it sometimes:\
It was staring me in the face, as it were.
Did the power options change...nothing.
Did the display settings change...nothing.
Then, it jumped out at me.... the screensaver was set to 'blank' and was behaving as it should. Set it to 'none' and roberts you're father's etc.
DOH! wot a dumbo.:D

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2017, 15:35
Glad it's sorted. This exact thing happened on my son's PC, where the screen blanked after 60 seconds, and I didn't think of the screensaver 1st time either.

SD