PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in laa permit aircraft

Gee5
17th Nov 2017, 15:57
Hi all,
I know there have been numerous threads on this previously but they are all quite historic and knowing the pace at which EASA change the rules, does anyone know if hours in a permit machine ( vp1 for example ) count towards those needed for CPL?

Note I have been hours building in 152/172s and complex type trained but want to do something a bit different for a few of my hours building program......

Genghis the Engineer
17th Nov 2017, 16:44
Yes they do, so long as it's not a microlight, at least for the time being. I've seen suggestions that because they are Annex II, EASA may get difficult at some point, but so far as I know this hasn't actually happened.

Clearly, the actual quality of learning experience may vary between types ! But yes, in the right aeroplane, you may learn a lot to your advantage.

Gee5
18th Nov 2017, 09:27
Thanks Ghengis. I am looking at possibly a Pottier P80 which looks like it could be a lot of fun but there are loads of types that I need to research before committing.

onionabroad
15th Jun 2023, 09:48
Hi All. Just reviving this back as it's a short thread and 6 years since it was brought up so some CAA rules may have been finalised.

Just to check, is this still relevant? If a pilot wanted to go learn tailwheel and do some hour building in a Piper Cub or other similar LAA aircraft (not a microlight), would those hours still count?

redsnail
15th Jun 2023, 10:19
I've had a bit of a sift through the UK CAA's site. You only need 5 hours in a complex aircraft (Aircraft certified for at least 4 persons, variable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear) for the CPL.
There are other requirements such as cross country etc.
CPL(A) UK (https://www.caa.co.uk/commercial-industry/pilot-licences/aeroplanes/commercial-pilot-licence-aeroplanes/)
If you look under hours required for a modular CPL, then you see they'll permit up to 30 hours in a TMG (Touring Motor Glider) or sailplanes.
No mention of microlights. So your desire to fly a tailwheel aircraft is fine, so long as it is classed as an aeroplane. :)

onionabroad
16th Jun 2023, 11:27
Thanks redsnail! Yeah it's a weird one.. .very specific about the requirements except this part. Perhaps the omission is the answer itself as you've noted.