PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the home page in firefox

Peter47
15th Nov 2017, 19:06
My computer seems to have downloaded a new version of firefox which defaults to a new homepage. How do I go it to go straight to the home page of my choosing? (Replies in a form suitable for a computer novice please.)

KelvinD
15th Nov 2017, 19:17
Choose Tools. then Options. Select the General tab and select your hoime page from there.

FullOppositeRudder
16th Nov 2017, 11:18
My primary computer downloaded version 57 of Firefox this morning. It has something of a new look, promised extremely fast operation, and so it proved to be - very fast indeed :).

I was getting seriously annoyed with previous versions which were getting slower and slower, with the machine eventually bogging down to the point of needing <CTL> <ALT><DEL> to get out of FF and start again. I was accepting of the fact that my five year old W7 machine was probably getting past it, and the time had come to upgrade.

I'd already made the choice - a top shelf Dell desktop currently with $500 discount, and was about to place the order this afternoon.

Sorry Dell, no longer needed, and thank you Firefox peoples - you've saved me a $2K outlay - for a little while longer. :ok:

FOR

gemma10
16th Nov 2017, 14:33
Likewise, very fast indeed to load now. I was beginning to wonder if I had other problems. FF sorted.:D

Jet II
16th Nov 2017, 14:42
Perhaps time to change your OS?

http://www.pprune.org/members/45775-jet-ii-albums-pics-picture799-why-linux-faster-than-windows.jpg

yellowtriumph
16th Nov 2017, 15:32
Perhaps time to change your OS?

http://www.pprune.org/members/45775-jet-ii-albums-pics-picture799-why-linux-faster-than-windows.jpg

Point of order Mr Chairman, my iMac updated the OS yesterday to macOS High Sierra at no cost. (I do appreciate the cartoon was meant to be comical and not necessarily accurate).;)

gemma10
17th Nov 2017, 11:45
Have now noticed that FF is now behaving like my History drop down, and storing all my viewed pages on the default page.

Background Noise
17th Nov 2017, 14:18
Point of order Mr Chairman, my iMac updated the OS yesterday to macOS High Sierra at no cost. (I do appreciate the cartoon was meant to be comical and not necessarily accurate).;)

Yes, somewhat misleading cartoon - Mac OS has been free since, at least, Mavericks in 2013 - as have Apple's 'Office' programs.

Heathrow Harry
17th Nov 2017, 16:20
Not "free" but "included"

Peter47
17th Nov 2017, 16:23
If you click on the icon looking like an eight pointed star one down from the top right (on my machine) you will get a page called 'New Tab Preferences'. Untick the bottom three check boxes, Top Sites, Highlights & Snippets if you don't want them. Its like a lot of computer systems, trial and error and asking for help on sites like this.

Loose rivets
17th Nov 2017, 22:54
The upgrade arrived suddenly. 57.0 'Firefox is up to date'. It's bloody black and white.

I've a feeling we've been through this before - some years ago. I want it as it was, but new speed is welcome.

Anyone else gorn black and white. Content is normal, just the top.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Nov 2017, 09:30
Yes, same here Mr rivets; actually I don't mind the monochrome look, but then I grew up in B & W photography days.

Individual book marks in the bookmark toolbar have retained their colours but where there are folders for bookmarks, yes, they've gone mono.

All in all, the new speed hath overcome any mixed feelings about the interface - for the present.

FOR

G-CPTN
18th Nov 2017, 09:46
A while back I reported the loss of my 'diary' of forthcoming events when Firefox updated itself and ReminderFox was incompatible with that version - result was utter panic by me as I no longer knew what my busy programme of activities involved.
I (eventually) restored the situation by uninstalling FF and downloading and installing an earlier version.
The same happened today as FF helpfully updated itself to the latest version - alas without ReminderFox.
Can anyone suggest a replacement for ReminderFox that will, perhaps, work with current versions of Opera (my current choice of browser)?
The only add-on that I can find apparently only works on versions 11 and 12.

cavuman1
18th Nov 2017, 13:28
Dear Loose Rivets,

I downloaded the aforementioned browser several days ago and though I was impressed with its increased speed and moderately decreased RAM usage, I did not like the monochrome toolbar. If you expand "Tools", drop down to and click on "Add-ons", you may then open "Themes". I found but one - an autumnal leaf display by MaDonna - which I find satisfactory. I expect many more themes which are compatible with Firefox 57 in the near future.

Best,

Ed :ok:

Philoctetes
18th Nov 2017, 14:02
I gave up on Firefox some time ago for a variety of reasons. I now use Pale Moon, which is Firefox based but better suited to my needs.

Try it here: https://www.palemoon.org/

Mike6567
18th Nov 2017, 15:04
I upgraded to 57 and then had problems with youtube not working properly.
Didn't have time to sort it out so went back to 54.
Will try again later

Loose rivets
18th Nov 2017, 16:29
One of Kaspersky's main problems, the one that I got 25 of the 50 quid for sorting, was FF writing new code which totally threw Kasper.

Sorting = just talking to various folk on numbers I'd stashed away years before and putting two and two together.

orionsbelt
22nd Nov 2017, 14:18
The following is from FF support forum - it worked for me

enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named
media.windows-media-foundation.use-nv12-format.
double-click it and change its value to false.

Mac the Knife
24th Nov 2017, 16:37
If you are like me and depend on the old Firefox extensions, you can always download Firefox Setup 52.5.0esr - works fine for me - you have to hunt around for the download though.

Supported only until 2019 - by which time I hope my extensions will have caught up!

Mac

:ok:

Jhieminga
24th Nov 2017, 17:57
There's also WaterFox, which is a Firefox based browser that lets you run any extension. See here: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/