PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 stuck in a loop

Wodrick
14th Nov 2017, 13:32
Best way I can describe it.
Windows 10 home fully updated and a fresh install on a new computer so not an upgrade from a previous version. It's been running well for about a year.
It is set up for two users.
Last Friday it crashed all on it's own while nobody was using it. I think it was on the BBC News home page (Firefox) and monitoring e-mail (thunderbird).
It was showing the standard windows wallpaper and a handful of shortcuts.
It said that an app had caused a browser crash and it was unable to sign on to Microsoft and it had reset to a local log in and edge.
Nothing is missing and I can reset everything back to how I have it and all works perfectly.
When I shut down however all is lost and I revert to the standard wallpaper etc.
How can I break out of this, reset my profile so that after spending a considerable time rebuilding I don't loose all.
My wife's log in works normally throughout.
I hope I am clear.

yellowtriumph
14th Nov 2017, 15:18
If no-one here can help you, as per another thread why not start an on-line echat session with Microsoft?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/

Philoctetes
15th Nov 2017, 09:10
System Restore to time before problem started?

Wodrick
15th Nov 2017, 09:18
There is no system restore in W10home if it has been a new install - unfortunately as I'm sure that would have fixed it.

CaptOveur
16th Nov 2017, 18:24
I don't think Phil was referring to media-based recovery. System Restore is enabled by default on clean installs of Win10 Home (I just checked one).

Click Start, then type rstrui and hit Enter. Then click Next and see if it lists any times prior to the trouble first occurring.

Wodrick
16th Nov 2017, 21:03
I stand corrected, should I say that it is not obvious instead ? If one goes about restore in the conventional way then it only seems to be available to a system updated from 7.
Not to worry I have solved it my way which was to create a new user for myself and delete the old one. That has worked but is an enormous amount of fiddling about.

Mac the Knife
24th Nov 2017, 17:12
Yes, fixing a corrupted user profile is a pain in the ass - often quicker to do as you have done. Only trouble is that you can't reuse the old name without a bit of tinkering in the Registry.

Mac

PS: Never managed to get System Restore to do what it says on the tin.

Blues&twos
24th Nov 2017, 18:48
That's strange, Mac. System Restore has saved my bacon on a number of occasions over the years on most of the Windows versions in which it is available, with no fuss. Shame it can't also fix fried motherboards!