PDA

View Full Version : Who else still alive has ever flown in a commercially-operated biplane?

ConnieLover
11th Nov 2017, 18:26
I have. Have any of you? Or do any of you know anyone still alive now who has? Or have a y of you ever been a pilot in a commercially-operated biplane?

And the reason for the flight cannot have been only to fly in a biplane (as might be done at a museum), but either for transportation or for an aerial tour -- "flightseeing".

My one flight in a commercially-operated biplane was out of the Beirut airport in 1950 with my family, and was only for "flightseeing", touring the area by air.

I realized some time ago that what my family and I got to do back then was rather unusual, even back then, and that it is probably quite rare nowadays for anyone still alive now to have ever flown in a commercially-operated biplane -- not one that people fly in only because it is a biplane.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

olympus
11th Nov 2017, 18:38
If a pleasure flight in a DH-84 around Blackpool Tower counts, then I have.

treadigraph
11th Nov 2017, 19:19
A ride up to Docklands and back in Mike Hood's pleasure flight Rapide from Biggin Hill and one of Air Atlantique's Rapides for a sightseeing tour of Brighton out of Shoreham.

Also had a tour of Key West in a Waco UPF-7 flown by Fred Cabanas - that was a commercial operation.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Nov 2017, 19:30
Rapide out of Lands End around the Longships lighthouse, mid '60s. Cost me 17/6. A lot of pocket money!

ConnieLover
11th Nov 2017, 19:32
Thanks for the very speedy replies!

That is wonderful! When were those flights?

Hmmmmm..... methinks there may be a gray area in my question. One could have -- as yhou did -- flown in a commercially-operated biplane both to "flightsee" and because the aircraft used was a biplane.

OK, then -- has anyone still alive ever flown in or been a pilot for a commercially-operated biplane operated purely for transportation?

Thanks for any replies!

Buster11
11th Nov 2017, 19:35
A first flight ever in a Rapide at Croydon in 1947; lasted 15 minutes and cost 10/6d. I later flew Tiger Moths there myself 10 years later.

ConnieLover
11th Nov 2017, 20:06
A first flight ever in a Rapide at Croydon in 1947; lasted 15 minutes and cost 10/6d. I later flew Tiger Moths there myself 10 years later.

Thanks, Buster11! That was a very speedy reply! Wow..... Your experiences are incredible and wonderful! What did you think of the Tiger Moth as far as bow easy she was to fly? (SLF here, so do not know anything about that, other than what I read on the web.)

I asked my question because I had no way of knowing how unusual what I had gotten to do was, and because I like to read stories of what others have gotten to do.

Four Wings
11th Nov 2017, 20:11
In 1960 I flew on several normal scheduled Rapide flights of Sierra Leone Airways. They had 2 Rapides used for all internal services operating from Hastings (Freetown) to Bo and Kenema. I worked for Shell Ghana and these were business visits (I was responsible for finding sites for new petrol stations).
Refuelling at Kenema by our Aviation Service was by hand pump from 44 ig drums through a large funnel with a beautiful big chamois leather as water filter.
I remember chatting to one pilot who was ex RAF Polish.
When I was posted to Shell Sierra Leone in 1963 I was disappointed to find the Rapides had been replaced by Twin Pins. I was told they had found white ant in the Rapides' wooden wing frames, and I was shown the pile of ashes in the corner of Hastings Airport where they had been burnt.

PS in 1952 I lived in Jersey and tried .but failed to save up the fare to fly on the Jersey Airways Rapides to Guernsey, but my wife did fly about that time with her mother from Gibraltar to Tangier on Gibraltar Airways Rapides (her father was working in Gibraltar).

Tu.114
11th Nov 2017, 20:38
In the former USSR, Aeroflot has operated the An-2 on short commuter runs until not that long ago. If this fits your requirements, there may well be several 1000 of those passengers around today.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2017, 20:51
A company called Tigerfly used to operate a Tiger Moth commercially from Booker until half a dozen years ago.

I think that there's still a Dragon Rapide being thus operated at Duxford.

I did some work about a decade ago to get an N3N-3 being operated commercially for tourist flights from Sandown, and I believe it was for several years.

Aren't there still AN2s being used for crop spraying in Russia?

G

WHBM
11th Nov 2017, 21:43
DH.83 Fox Moth off Southport beach, probably 1970. Open cockpit, closed passenger cabin.

An-2 (Slovak reg, UK base) operating in the UK as a skydiving aircraft in the 1990s, which it was perfect for with a 45 knot run in speed. That was real transport, to get me up there. Took for ever to get up to altitude though. More takeoffs than landings :). Quite a recent build, 1980s, they were built in Poland by then. The "fabric" on the wings is actually a plastic.

DH.89 Dragon Rapide out of Duxford.

Here by London City the Duxford DH.89 is a regular weekend overhead performer. Some years more than others, but this year, 2017, they seem to have notably picked up. That distinctive tinkling engine sound always has me out into the back garden to watch it make it's stately way overhead.

Kiwithrottlejockey
12th Nov 2017, 00:08
I've been a passenger in a civilianised DH.89B Dominie which was being used to operate commercial passenger services.

And I've been a passenger in a DH.83 Fox Moth and a DH.90 Dragonfly (both on the same day) on scenic flights while being operated commercially.

The Dominie flight was last century, but the Fox Moth and Dragonfly flights were both this century.

ConnieLover
12th Nov 2017, 00:41
Oh, my! Thank you, each and every one of you, for the fascinating replies! I had no idea any De Havillands were still around and flying!

FourWings --
That poor biplane -- her wings got eaten by ants? I guess burning her up was the only certain way to get rid of those awful ants. A pile os ashes......

WHBM --
Thanks so much for the description of the Dragon Rapide's typical sounds -- "tinkling". And they are stately when they fly? That is wonderful. I have no memory at all of what that biplane I flew in sounded like, only a faint memory of flying in it. I do have a photograph my father took of it just before we got on. There are a lot of people in that picture, so her tail number is partly obscured.

chevvron
12th Nov 2017, 03:06
I flew in DH 84 Dragon G-ADDI from Luton on a sightseeing trip on 8 Dec 1964. The flight lasted about 20 min and we 'surveyed' Hatfield and Radlett(it was a weekend so they were both closed)
The flight represented several 'firsts; for me:-
First in a biplane.
First in a civil registered aircraft (only flown in RAF aircraft as an ATC cadet prior to that)
First with a female pilot - Claire Roberts; wife of the owner/operator of tha aircraft.

chevvron
12th Nov 2017, 03:08
DH.89 Dragon Rapide out of Duxford.

Here by London City the Duxford DH.89 is a regular weekend overhead performer. Some years more than others, but this year, 2017, they seem to have notably picked up. That distinctive tinkling engine sound always has me out into the back garden to watch it make it's stately way overhead.[/LEFT]

Is that the one which 'bookworm' flies?

DHfan
12th Nov 2017, 05:57
There are at least two Dragon Rapides and two Tiger Moths doing pleasure flights from Duxford daily from March until October.
They've been there for over 25 years so that's going to add up to a lot of passengers.

WHBM
12th Nov 2017, 06:03
That poor biplane -- her wings got eaten by ants? I guess burning her up was the only certain way to get rid of those awful ants. A pile os ashes......
By no means unknown in the tropics with timber-framed aircraft. A number of DH.89 with various colonial operators were eaten beyond repair by termites.

jimjim1
12th Nov 2017, 06:11
As mentioned

Classic Wings ? Classic vintage flights and flying lessons at IWM Duxford (http://www.classic-wings.co.uk)

Dragon Rapide Flights ? Classic Wings (http://www.classic-wings.co.uk/dragon-rapide-flights/)

pulse1
12th Nov 2017, 07:15
Flew in a AN2 based at Popham earlier this year.

rotorfossil
12th Nov 2017, 07:16
Flight from Heathrow over London in a Rapide of ‘Aggie’s Airways’ in the early ‘50’s.Hard to believe now, but we walked through a wooden fence to get onto the airfield and the area was still fairly rural as I remember.

Allan Lupton
12th Nov 2017, 07:26
In 1946 (I think!) my father and I flew back to the mainland (Speke) from the Isle of Man on a scheduled service in a Dragon Rapide. So much better than the boat from Fleetwood that took us (but not our breakfasts!) to the IoM

Airbanda
12th Nov 2017, 08:24
Like others a pleasure flight in a DH Dragon Rapide, mine was in 1979 from Biggin Hill and included local sights like Chartwell. My Mother, who has only recently died (September) had flown in a BEA example from Lands End to the Scillies c1957.

IIRC they remained in service on that route until the S61 helicopter arrived in 1964. That would be well within my lifetime.

Jetstream67
12th Nov 2017, 08:30
Again at Lands End. Probably largely responsible for a lot more hours in the air subsequently 😎

Heathrow Harry
12th Nov 2017, 08:45
I'd guess about 25% of the population of Russia - all those An-2's..................

mustafagander
12th Nov 2017, 08:57
Marshall Airways used a Rapide for joy flights from Bankstown airport in Sydney (Oz) in the 1950s. I got to do a few when I was a little guy because my dad and Sid Marshall were good mates. They also used a DC2, VH-CDZ and rarely an Avro Anson, VH-ASM. I can't recall the rego of the Rapide.

barry lloyd
12th Nov 2017, 08:58
My first ever flight was in a Dragon Rapide ca 1960. It was being used to take female Air Cadets on a flight experience, but was a civil aircraft. There was a spare seat and I was offered it because I happened to be hanging around looking at aircraft :)

I used to work for a man called Harry Patterson, who for several years operated pleasure flights from Speke. In addition to the usual pleasure flights, we would make trips to Southport Beach, Squires Gate and once to Baginton.

zetec2
12th Nov 2017, 10:30
Yes Island Air Services in the early 50's flew in both G-AGUF and AGJG with Monique Agazarian up front.

bafanguy
12th Nov 2017, 13:23
ConnieLover,

You asked, "Who else still alive has ever...", so since I'm still alive, I'll chime in.

I was given a Stearman ride by my kids some years ago at the first outfit on the list that follows. I got to see what my dad, who flew Stearmans and Wacos in US Airmy Air Corp flight training in WW2, thought was so fantastic.

These operations are relatively common here. The Google produced a few just in the eastern USA. The company in St. Simons Island, GA, must be pretty popular as we see them frequently when there:

Home - Biplane Rides Over Atlanta (http://www.biplaneridesoveratlanta.com/)

https://oceancityplanerides.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35241-d4972541-Reviews-Coastal_Biplane_Tours-Saint_Simons_Island_Golden_Isles_of_Georgia_Georgia.html

Biplane Rides | Myrtle Beach Air Tours (http://mbairtours.com/biplanes/)

VictorGolf
12th Nov 2017, 13:51
Just to set the record straight on the Classic Wings Rapides at Duxford, there are actually three in the fleet plus four Tiger Moths. The Rapides are G-AIDL and G-AIYR, both in military colour schemes and G-AKIF which is dark blue overall with a white stripe. This could very easily be the Rapide that the poster of post *23 flew in from IOM to Speke as it was operated by Manx Airlines back in the day.

pzu
12th Nov 2017, 13:52
My Dad was an ATCO in East Africa from 1954 to 1966, amongst his various postings was Paradise sorry Zanzibar and had various flights in East African Airways Rapides in the period 1955 to 1960 mainly to Dar, Tanga and once to Pemba

!957 had a trip in one out of Blackpool - think it was a 'freebie' as Dad was doing some post Bournemouth training there

Also in '58? had a flight in a Caspair Rapide out of Entebbe (Caspereuthus was a friend of Dads)

De Havilland DH-89A Dragon Rapide - Caspair | Aviation Photo #0128028 | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/caspair/de-havilland-dh-89a-dragon-rapide/128028)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Dr Jekyll
12th Nov 2017, 13:52
Sightseeing flight from Lands end (airfield) around Lands end (the place) in 1977. Dragon Rapide G-AIYR. It was simply a sightseeing flight that happened to be operated by a biplane.
Then did a sightseeing flight over London from Biggin Hill in about 1982 in another Rapide and a flight from Old Warden the same year in a Tiger Moth, but they were mainly for the sake of flying in an old aircraft.

Buster11
12th Nov 2017, 14:16
Thanks, Buster11! That was a very speedy reply! Wow..... Your experiences are incredible and wonderful! What did you think of the Tiger Moth as far as bow easy she was to fly? (SLF here, so do not know anything about that, other than what I read on the web.)

I asked my question because I had no way of knowing how unusual what I had gotten to do was, and because I like to read stories of what others have gotten to do.

I'd first flown Magisters at Redhill so tail-draggers were quite normal to me, in fact I don't recall any trike undercart light aircraft at that time apart from the Owlet and the Ercoupe. This was all 60 years or more ago and for some reason I have no recollection at all of using the flaps on the Maggie, though I assume we must have.

The Tiger seemed rather more docile in spins (apparently not taught any more for PPLs) and needed a lighter touch than the Maggie. Taxying required constant nose swinging to get any idea of what lay ahead and the lack of brakes made pre-planning important, as I discovered to my cost when taxying back at Croydon one day and turning both downwind and slightly downhill. :sad:

I didn't have many hours on either aircraft but don't recall any special difficulties, though my flying consisted of sedate plodding rather than aerobatting either aircraft.

Wander00
12th Nov 2017, 14:28
Wife flew in a Stampe operated by Dawn patrol from Dunkeswell 24 years ago - was it that long - for a birthday present - came back with a grin I could not afford!

renfrew
12th Nov 2017, 14:30
Can't claim to have flown in a biplane.
But around 1957 at Renfrew I was surprised when DH-86 G-ACZP appeared on a flight from the Isle of Man.
There really can't be many people left who have flown in one of these.

India Four Two
12th Nov 2017, 14:52
My first ever flight was a joyride in a Dragon Rapide out of Ramsgate Airport in the late 50s. My Dad paid 7/6d each for me, my brother and sister - a sum he could barely afford. About £8 each in today's money.

I remember the smell of the leather seats and I remember being irritated by the lack of symmetry due to there being only one air-driven generator, on the upper left wing!

About ten years ago, I chartered a Dominie in NZ and took my wife and daughter on a nostalgia trip. Significantly more expensive!

Duchess_Driver
12th Nov 2017, 15:11
Back in the mid 90's a company in Cuba operated AN-2s on intra-island flights - probably still do. Bought a T shirt with AeroTaxi Cuba printed on it. Flew Varedaro to (IIRC) Trinidad on the south coast. About an hour each way.

They let pax sit in the right hand seat for a little while - I was lucky enough to get the RH Seat descending back into Varedaro on the return leg. Part of the 'enjoyment' was to fly low level off shore down the peninsula which was interesting. Kept sitting there until what seemed like 1000' on final when the Co came and tapped me on the shoulder saying something along the lines of 'I need my seat now'...

Bergerie1
12th Nov 2017, 15:25
First airline flight was in a DH Dragon Rapide of Jersey Airlines from Exeter to Guernsey in 1958 (or it may have been '57). If this is flying, I thought, this is definitely what I want to do....and I did. I'd been building model aircraft for some years and this trip to Guernsey and back was the icing on the cake.

exeng
13th Nov 2017, 00:16
DH Rapids in the 50ties after an air show at I think RAF Gaydon. About 6 or 7 years old. I was quite shocked to see the Capt. was a lady! Corse in those days we were all brought up to believe that men did men jobs ans wimen did the grub an washing.

An excellent circuit followed by a greaser - then I was totally ignored by the lady in the left seat despite my obvious admiration. I learned so much so early.

Regards Exeng

Kiwithrottlejockey
13th Nov 2017, 01:02
If you're visiting New Zealand and wish to take a flight in a civilianised DH.89B Dominie, head to Te Anau and Airscapade Affairs where you can take a scenic flight over Fiordland National Park for NZ$195.

Dominie (http://www.airscapade-affairs.com/dominie/)

ICT_SLB
13th Nov 2017, 02:54
Also as a kid in a Dragon Rapide of Cambrian Airways IIRC on a circuit from RAF Chivenor in the early 60s during a Battle of Britain weekend.

evansb
13th Nov 2017, 05:07
Late 1980's in a BNB biplane (radial engine, tail-dragger) from Silverwood Amusement Park in Idaho. The biplane had side-by-side passenger seating for two ahead of the pilot. Wife and I were flown once around the theme park and then around a lumber mill, all within 4 miles of the aerodrome. It was fun. The pilot was probably 20 years of age.

reefrat
13th Nov 2017, 05:29
2 commercial flights. In a Rapide as a very small child during the war, 1944?? Hamilton / Melbourne,, early Ansett; was travel sick for the first and only time Last time was a CAC AN2. In the Tsaidam basin in the far reaches of Western China ,, a very cold place in the winter, We were issued with a full set of leather flying suits and fur lined helmets, main gear was frozen onto the runway, directed by the pilot, we passengers lifted the tail wheel and rotated the plane to the direction of take off

megan
13th Nov 2017, 10:41
As a kid got to ride in a Dragon used on a newspaper run, and later jumped out of one used as a jumpship. Gave joyrides in a Tiger to friends.

ZFT
13th Nov 2017, 12:26
Still alive so qualify. Rapide in 1964 and Y5 in 1987.

POBJOY
13th Nov 2017, 12:39
G-AHAG Was at Lands End on the 4th Oct as part of the 80th anniversary of passenger flights to the Isles Of Scilly(at the time by DH Dragon).
However apart from seeing this beautifully restored machine (now back in Scillonia Airways colours of pale blue and white) one of its pilots from the 60's
Brian Neely (looking as elegant as the Rapide) was also present.
The Rapides of BEA operated the route right up till the S61 took over.
After Scillonia ceased to operate Westward Airways had a Rapide doing pleasure flights there flown by Viv Bellamy. This machine eventually went to David Cyster for the Australia flight.
Scheduled and pleasure flights at L-End now use the BN2.
Chrisair was a well known operator of a Dragon; frequently on pleasure flights for Butlins campers,(saw it operating out of a 'field' (Broomhall) near Pwllheli North Wales, and Mike Hood operated out of Biggin with his Rapide for some time.

Cazalet33
13th Nov 2017, 13:06
Wasn't there once, quite recently actually, an occasion where a bint flew around the world solo (I swear to gawd it wuz solo) in a biplane on a commercial basis?

Artifice of Articificiality, or somesuch cover for a tax-dodge somewhere in the Caribbean, perhaps?

treadigraph
13th Nov 2017, 13:10
Mike Hood looks to have operated 'IDL as Southern Joyrides from 1977 - 1987.

If there is a Islander joy-ride option at Lands End, I must have a go. If I do the planned trip out to the Scillies, I guarantee I'll get an Twin Otter both ways!

I did also book an "after show" ride in a New Standard from Old Rhinebeck - unfortunately a strengthening wind put the rides and the airshow out of action mid-afternoon. Haven't been back yet...

bricquebec
13th Nov 2017, 16:01
My earliest flights to Alderney in the 1950s were in Rapides. I seem to remember my first crossing went from Exeter airport, but I could be mistaken. On the other hand, it could all be in my imagination

POBJOY
13th Nov 2017, 17:38
Well remember Mike's AOC (with Rapide and mountain of spares) being available for sale, for I recall the asking price of around £40.000 for everything. I was very much West Country based when it came on the market, and whilst there was 'summer trade' available, the dreaded salt laden atmosphere would have been heavy on maintenance, plus the main problem would have been where to keep it. Lands-End had no space and Newquay was still RAF St Mawgan. I seriously considered a 6 monthly operation Cornwall/Biggin, but it really needed a 'support' business or 'pension' to keep it afloat if it was to be an ongoing operation. We got there in the end but with the 'multi-purpose' C182 and 180 that could do several jobs (including the then recently reapproved banner towing) and shed loads of other 'aerial work', which was quite profitable, all with machines that were easy to hangar, and maintain. Of course in the days of BEA the Rapide was still a 'relatively' young machine which probably never really covered its 'real total costs', today it needs lots of TLC and a 'user friendly' base.

mcdhu
13th Nov 2017, 19:24
My first flight ever was when my Dad paid for me to go in a’joyride’ in a DH Rapide at an air show at Renfrew (Glasgow). It must have been in the early 50s.
A few years later, my Mum and I went to visit the Isle of Man going there in a BEA DH Rapide. We came back in a DH Heron. What is now Glasgow Airport was then the Royal Naval Air Station Abbotsinch which had Supermarine Attackers - a tail dragging jet fighter.
Cheers
mcdhu

Lancman
14th Nov 2017, 05:39
Land's End to the Scillies by Dragon Rapide for our honeymoon in October 1954. Got the actual date here somewhere. (lol).

ConnieLover
14th Nov 2017, 06:19
Thanks, everyone, for the fascinating stories!

I had no idea biplanes were so common back then, and also even not long ago. I only flew i that one once. Wish I could remember a lot of details about that flight, but all that is lost in the mists of time (can't remember it). Wish my one and only photo of that Dragon Rapide showed more details, including the whole tail number, but there are people in the way.

larssnowpharter
14th Nov 2017, 06:54
About 20 years ago, I flew a number of times in a venerable An 2 around the Balkans.
There are still many in operation in ex Soviet Republics and Russia.

treadigraph
14th Nov 2017, 07:19
Just been reading over on Flypast that a Rapide has joined the Historic Flight Foundation at Paine Field, Seattle, and should be doing rides.

Davidsoffice
14th Nov 2017, 09:38
As we're including pleasure flights... aren't all flights pleasure flights?.... how about Fox Moth G-AOJH I think. Shoreham?

ICM
14th Nov 2017, 12:29
I still have some recollection of flying from Glasgow/Renfrew to Benbecula and back when aged 2 in 1943, in a Rapide of what (I think) was then Scottish Airways. I went with my father and, given that it was wartime, I imagine that the journey was "really necessary" for some family reason. I rather think one leg involved "air pockets" and a sickbag!

Wander00
14th Nov 2017, 12:58
Not "commercial, but aged 15, as an RAF CCF Section cadet on a Sea Cadet "Aviation Acquaint" course at HMS Daedalus (RNAS Lee on Solent), I flew in an RN Dominie (four wings, 2 turning, none burning) over the Solent and saw the SRN-1 on trial below.

PinkHarrier
15th Nov 2017, 07:24
DH Rapide, 1952-1953. I'd put up a pic but I am only allowed urls. Or am I wrong?

treadigraph
15th Nov 2017, 07:52
Pinkharrier, when you post there is a small paperclip icon - click that and it should allow you to upload and post a pic from your PC.

Or click the "mountain" icon and paste in the url of your pic...

old,not bold
15th Nov 2017, 09:58
All you young people with your biplane joyrides......I'm not sure they count.

I vaguely remember a trip to Jersey and/or Dinard in a Rapide, 1950s, scheduled flight but I can't recall which airline or even which mainland airport.

FWIW, I also remember several fantastic trips in a Heron.

PinkHarrier
15th Nov 2017, 10:33
Pinkharrier, when you post there is a small paperclip icon - click that and it should allow you to upload and post a pic from your PC.

Or click the "mountain" icon and paste in the url of your pic...
Thanks. Tried that but the mountain gives me a url choice, like the chain link. I suspect it is a chrome/ Android issue.

dduxbury310
25th Nov 2017, 01:50
In the deepest recesses of my fading brain, I can vaguely recall travelling at least once travelling between Christchurch (New Zealand) and the small, sunny city of Nelson. These flights were made at probably about two or three thousand feet, safely aboard a venerable DH Dominie (as they were better known in New Zealand, and all-but one flying in NZ at that stage were wartime Brush-built aircraft). These flights were frequently disrupted by the notoriously fickle weather along the South Island's east coast, which resulted in such services being turned back, which resulted in our family (well, Mum and two other brother) having to resort to the railways to ensure we arrived in the right city! These were, after all, scheduled services rather than tourist trips for no other particular purpose.
David D