PDA

View Full Version : QF Pitot Covers

Mister Warning
7th Nov 2017, 22:17
Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I was SLF on a QF B737 this week and noticed from the gate lounge that the pitots were still covered (4pm dep). The Captain conducted the external inspection and we boarded and still the tubes were flagged. Is this the SOP? Thanks, MW.

Snakecharma
7th Nov 2017, 22:20
Were you in brisbane by any chance?

Brisbane has a mud wasp problem and can build a nest very quickly, been more than a few issues with pitots and mud wasps.

The engineers try and leave the covers on as long as possible

holdingagain
7th Nov 2017, 23:19
The Snake has it - wasps
Engineers install / remove the various covers required

These mud wasps can block up the pitot in a surprisingly short time period
BAC audits the tarmac areas every few days and records / distributes the results

Qanchor
7th Nov 2017, 23:20
Further to this Mr. W, a Tech Log entry is made when the pitot covers are installed and prior to return to service this coupon is signed off (by the gingerbeers) confirming their removal and as a general rule the actual covers will be shown to the crew.
I think somewhere around gate 19 or 20 there is a board of several different types of (unprotected) pitot tube out in the open “inviting” insects to set up home so they can be studied by the entomologists.

OK4Wire
7th Nov 2017, 23:24
Cathay has had a couple of aborted takeoffs in BNE which were traced back to this very problem. We now cover the pitots as well (not year round though. I think).

Mister Warning
8th Nov 2017, 00:56
Yes it was BNE gate 19! Thanks for the answers. Fly safe and all the best. MW

maggot
8th Nov 2017, 01:00
Last I heard the problem was abating somewhat? Something to do with the progress of draining/bulldozing the swamp for the runway works?

Installation and removal of the covers is snagged in the book to ensure removal of the covers. :)