PDA

View Full Version : Royal Flying Corps Memorial Restoration

ricardian
7th Nov 2017, 22:10
Raising £10,000 to renovate the WW1 Memorial Chapel, St Mark's Church, Farnborough (https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/st-marks).

Though there are few Royal Flying Corps names on the memorial sections of the chapel, this chapel is deemed to be the first that was dedicated to the Flying Corps, and that is noted on the memorial plaque. Until very recently the Imperial War Museum was even unaware that this chapel existed and was very interested to learn of it.

reallydeskbound
8th Nov 2017, 06:00
I was keen to see more detail on this subject and followed the link to the 'Just giving' page. Sadly once I started reading it up popped a request for me to share this page on my Facebook page. I don't do 'Foolbook' so tried to cancel it to get back to reading the information and found this was not possible..

Sorry you've lost my interest in what I felt was a really great idea to restore this memorial, good luck.

jolihokistix
8th Nov 2017, 06:26
Sounds like a brilliant project, even with teething problems...

MPN11
8th Nov 2017, 11:25
As my great-grandfather was badged RFC for a large part of WW1 [although UK-based] it's nice to see this Chapel emerging from obscurity.

ricardian
8th Nov 2017, 21:32
I was keen to see more detail on this subject and followed the link to the 'Just giving' page. Sadly once I started reading it up popped a request for me to share this page on my Facebook page. I don't do 'Foolbook' so tried to cancel it to get back to reading the information and found this was not possible..
Sorry you've lost my interest in what I felt was a really great idea to restore this memorial, good luck.

Here's the content of the JustGiving page.

We have a unique World War I Memorial Chapel which commemorates the names of 190 men and women who died in the service of their country. It is unique because we have the first memorial to the Royal Flying Corps which became the RAF. The Chapel needs the names repainted and the restoration of some of the panels. In order to raise money we are holding a Jane Austen Readathon between December 11th and 16th. One book is being read a day and we are asking people to sponsor us a Jenner (a Jane Austen £10). One of those named in our Chapel is Richard Brodnax Knight a direct descendant of Jane Austen's brother.