PDA

View Full Version : PDF files on DVD-RW

Homsap
7th Nov 2017, 10:38
I have a problem I sent a solicitor who I have put on notice as the co-defendent in a legal dispute. The documents in PDF format on the DVD-RW run to 310 pages mostly text, the file size is 217.910 Kb. The reason I put it on a DVW-RW was because I guessed that the data was too much to add as an email attachment.

The solicitor responds stating the DVD-RW had nothing on the disc, I rechecked it on two laptops using Windows !0, and the files were there. Personally I think he is playing games. So my question is as follows:

(a) Is there any reason why this solicitor would claim the disc was blank or he couldn't open the files? I should add most law firms use PDF and have IT support. Also this firm has 30+ staff so somebody must know how to do it.

(b) Would the above file, bearing in mind of the size attach to Gmail, via BT internet?

Finally, the UK Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) state that you should check with the other side that the method of transfering electronic data is agreed in advance, I guess he is playing on the CPRs, but I have a feeling it will not go as an e-mail attachment. He could ask for a hard copy but that is alot of printing and hassle for me at this stage.

m39462
7th Nov 2017, 10:47
Some very old DVD drives cannot read DVD-RW, but your solicitor would be unlikely to have such ancient hardware. A more likely answer is that you didn't finalize the DVD after creating it, see How to Finalize a CD/DVD/BD Disc (http://www.cd-info.com/howto/finalize/)

Capn Bloggs
7th Nov 2017, 10:51
the file size is 217.910 Kb.
217kb will definitely go OK as an attachment, unless that dot between 217 and 910 is actually a comma!

To be triple-sure, try it in another computer, but if you can access the DVD already on your two laptops, then it sounds that something fishy is occurring/not occurring at his end...

If it is indeed 217mb, rather than use a disk, you could use Google Drive or Dropbox to get it to him. If forced to use a disk, I'd use a CD (around 600mb capacity and much more "standard" than a DVD-RW). DVD-RWs can be problematic.

G0ULI
7th Nov 2017, 10:55
DVD RW disks are well known for incompatibilities between different machines. The tolerances are extremely fine and there are several different proprietory formats in use. The disks work fine on the machine they are written on, otherwise all bets are off.

A cheap USB stick is a far better alternative for large file transfers.

217.910 kb file size is only a quarter of a megabyte and seems a reasonable size for a 310 page .pdf text file. Most email programs will easily accept this as an attachment. If the file size is in fact 217 Mb then the USB stick or a memory card is the most reasonable option.

CD/DVD drives are rarely used in commercial offices, so they tend to get gummed up through lack of use. Also the software for these devices is rarely enabled or updated for security purposes.

I fear the onus is on you to provide the documents in a format that the other party can use, so use a standard FAT 16 formatted USB stick with the files in either Microsoft Word or .pdf format, possibly both. Do not use any other file compression software.

Should the solicitor need to produce hard copies of the files, you will be billed for the time and materials needed.

Homsap
7th Nov 2017, 10:57
Thank you for your helpful comments. My appolgies it is actually 217,910 Kb (comma not decimel. I will look into the other suggestions. In the meantime is the aboce data set to big for an email attachment?

G0ULI
7th Nov 2017, 11:03
When transferring large computer files by physical media such as USB sticks or memory cards, some level of confidentiality can be maintained by password protecting sensitive files. The password needed to unlock the files can be distributed by email to those that need it.

There are many password cracking programs that will unlock MS Word or .pdf formatted documents, so this level of security is only useful against casual loss. Any directed attempt at reading the encrypted files by someone who knows a bit about computers will succeed in accessing them.

Sending files as an email attachment is generally the most secure method for transferring data available to most people and has the advantage of being quick and relatively easy to accomplish with the minimum of effort.

Most email programs restrict document attachment sizes to below 5Mb.

Homsap
7th Nov 2017, 11:12
So 217 Mb is well over the 5 Mb!

G0ULI
7th Nov 2017, 11:38
Buy a USB stick from Poundland!

Helix Von Smelix
7th Nov 2017, 16:41
No matter how you send it he will say it can't be opened.
Print it all off and get it couriered over, proof of delivery.
I presume it is important for you??

boguing
7th Nov 2017, 22:37
Use WeTransfer, completely free up to 2Gb.

You upload the file and the destination email address, they get an email telling them there's a file waiting.

https://wetransfer.com/

G0ULI
8th Nov 2017, 00:15
I would strongly advise against using a third party intermediary to transfer the files unless you are happy for them to have complete access to the information contained in them.

boguing
8th Nov 2017, 00:27
The same is true of any email, unencrypted online storage and DVDs sent in the post.

A lot of large businesses use WeTransfer - Garmin sent me two huge files with it last week.

cattletruck
8th Nov 2017, 09:34
Two things I wish would disappear off the face of the Earth sooner than later.
- Adobe Flash.
- Adobe Reader.
In recent years they've turned into bloated bugware.

I wouldn't be surprised if his system cannot load the 217Mb document.
If possible try breaking down the large document into many smaller documents, i.e by chapter. Also use a usb key rather than personally burnt CD as it has far less compatibility issues. Finally, e-sign the PDF document(s) to be able to check it hasn't been edited without your consent.