PDA

View Full Version : Last ever flight, 95yr old Vet flies his old Dak for the last time.

NutLoose
6th Nov 2017, 11:59
How cool is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5thY5l4G2kg

5thY5l4G2kg

Wander00
6th Nov 2017, 14:01
Seemed to know what he was doing. Brilliant

Fonsini
6th Nov 2017, 15:31
Fine old chap, godspeed sir.

Herod
6th Nov 2017, 16:11
Brilliant. Excellent footage, and someone chose the perfect music for it. Damn; dusty in here again.

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2017, 17:02
A year or two back I was chatting to Geoffrey Wellum who is one of the last surviving BoB pilots. I asked him what he had been doing recently and he replied that he'd been flying a Spitfire, I'm ashamed to say that for a moment I though "Oh dear, Geoffrey's mind is finally going" but of course I was wrong, and he had been flying in one of the two seaters out of Kidlington, on a day specially arranged for BoB pilots.

Great seeing this guy flying his old C47 - can't be many C47 pilots who are older than the aircraft!

West Coast
7th Nov 2017, 03:44
Best thing I’ve seen today! Yes, the music was quite fitting.

Buster Hyman
7th Nov 2017, 05:39
Thanks for posting that Nutty, enjoyed every minute of it. Great footage too, especially the low pass near the windmill. Will watch it again on the big screen tonight I think.

Danny42C
7th Nov 2017, 11:57
Well, they always said: "It's like riding a bike - you never forget". Lucky beggar to get the chance to fly his old aircraft after 70 years !

(Green with envy) Danny.

larssnowpharter
7th Nov 2017, 15:40
Indeed, Danny. About 10 years ago I took my father for a flight in a CAP 10. At the time he was 83 and had not flown since he was 50. He has around 6000 hrs military flying on everything from Moths, Hurricanes, Spitfires, Meteors, Lincoln's, Hornets and Shacks. I have him the controls and he flew a short aerobatic sequence as though it was on rails.

After he said, "You have control. I took my glasses off and can't see the airfield".

His children are clubbing together to get him a flight in a Spitfire (his second favourite aircraft) for his 95th year.

PAXboy
7th Nov 2017, 16:49
The formation as shot by the Heli was beautiful. Usually, this kind of thing looks amateur but the photography and editing was top. I agree about the Windmill low pass. Steady and then a gentle turn = fab.

Great story larssnowpharter. Sadly, there were no Beaus or Mossies available for my father to ride in but, I kinda think, he wouldn't have gone up if it wasn't his own pilot driving.

brokenlink
7th Nov 2017, 21:29
Bit dusty here as well. Magnificent.

roving
8th Nov 2017, 09:12
53rd Troop Carrier Squadron Veterans and Friends
19 October at 14:49 ·
It is with great sadness - and with great gratitude - that we report the passing of an original member of the 53rd Troop Carrier Squadron. GERALD ARTHUR PARKER, July 16, 1922 - October 18, 2017. C-47 Power Pilot. Original deployment to North Africa, Husky-1, Husky-2, Avalanche-1, Avalanche-2, Neptune-Boston, Market-1, Market-2, and Market-3. Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters. A Staff/Sergeant pilot, then Flight Officer, then 2nd Lt., then 1st Lt. A kid growing up in the Great Depression, who didn't see much in the way of opportunities, he decided to sign up and become an Army aircraft powerplant mechanic. It could be a steady trade later in the civilian world. The Army trained him to work on aircraft powerplants. But on December 7, 1941 things changed. Eventually the call went out for pilots. He thought flying an aircraft might be interesting, so he tested, passing each time. He tested well enough and often enough to become a cadet, and eventually a Staff/Sergeant pilot. The rest is history. He actually flew, many times, the above photographed aircraft 42-32832. After the war he would eventually join the C.A.A. (which became the F.A.A.) in a management position controlling a region of the U.S. airspace. Happy on the golf course, happy winning at Bridge. Always a gentleman, a best friend, and never forgot his friends lost in war. Grateful for his life are wife Beverly May (Worrell) Parker, and daughter Judy.

Danny42C
8th Nov 2017, 09:20
Just in time ! May he rest in peace.

Thank you, Nutloose, for pointing us to this charming story.

Danny.

John Eacott
8th Nov 2017, 09:26
I came across this today and watched it with Dad: who is also 95, but flew Beaufighters both as a night fighter and shipping strike.

At least we got him into a museum Beaufighter a couple of years ago, and on the anniversary of his last ever time inside one back on 10th November 1943 when he ditched the darn thing!

TheWestCoast
8th Nov 2017, 14:22
That is a beautifully produced tribute.

Roadster280
8th Nov 2017, 14:28
Little tear here, that was just beautiful.

I so happened to be at what was Selman Field yesterday, I imagined the place full of Dakotas, rather than the modern regional jets. I was there about 5 years back, and a flight of CH-46s landed on, had lunch and left again. Must have been one of their last years in service, but I liked the fact that the current forces show the odd nod to the past like that.

NickB
9th Nov 2017, 11:57
A year or two back I was chatting to Geoffrey Wellum who is one of the last surviving BoB pilots. I asked him what he had been doing recently and he replied that he'd been flying a Spitfire, I'm ashamed to say that for a moment I though "Oh dear, Geoffrey's mind is finally going" but of course I was wrong, and he had been flying in one of the two seaters out of Kidlington, on a day specially arranged for BoB pilots.

I saw Geoff Wellum in Helston just after reading about his 'recent' Spifire flight from Kidlington and asked him what it was like to be back in a Spit? "Like I had never been away" was his response! :)

He must be 96 or 97 now - not seen him for a while.