PDA

View Full Version : Extreme pain in forhead

PitotTube
17th Jul 2002, 20:29
Hello,

The other day I was flying as a passenger in a MD87 and during the descent I felt an extreme pain in my forehead (above eyebrows). Does anyone know what this was? Sinus related problems? How can I prevent it?

thanks.
pt

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jul 2002, 20:56
Yes, it sounds like sinus pain. If you had an acute sinus infection, then the answer is simple -- don't fly until it is resolved. If the problem is a longer-term one you could try an aqueous steroid nasal spray such as beclomethasone to unblock the sinuses, used on a regular basis. Alternatively, a steroid spray combined with a decongestant is very effective for periods up to a couple of weeks. One such branded example is dexa-rhinaspray here in the UK.

QDM

PitotTube
17th Jul 2002, 21:10
thank you for your information. I have had this happen to me a few times earlier.. Is it possible to operate this condition?

pt

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jul 2002, 21:36
thank you for your information. I have had this happen to me a few times earlier.. Is it possible to operate this condition?

You'd really need to be assessed by an otolaryngologist. A word of caution: if you go to see a surgeon, surprisingly enough you'll often find the answer is... surgery.

Beware.

QDM

Broken Wings
19th Jul 2002, 22:28
PitotTube
Yes you can have surgery as I did in 1985 and 1990. I suppose its the equivilant of a decoke but take it from me the removal of the packing post op brings tears to your eyes and you feel like your brain is coming out of your nose!.
I got pi**ed off with these ops and read a book that my father in law had on the Hay Diet. This site here (http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/habgood/jackie.htm) will give you some idea and all I can say is that if I stick to it I NEVER get sinus problems if I don't the old dull aches in the forhead start to reappear.
If you want to discuss the subject more please send an email/private message.

arcniz
20th Jul 2002, 01:47
Yes Pitot - orbital sinusses!

I agree with Broken Wings that diet is the key. In my case, cutting out gluten - everything connected to wheat and similar grains - greatly helped me to control allergies that were gaining the upper hand.

As an immediate non-drug source of relief, I suggest that you try massaging your sinusses to manually drain them when pressures become uncomfortable. For the sopra-orbital sinusses, place forefingers between the eyebrows, then slowly slide them out from center -with a little pressure- across your eyebrows. Then reverse the movement. This pumps fluid out of the cavities and through your pipes to the region behind your nose.. you should be able to feel it. Similar procedures work fairly well for sinusses below the eyes and to the sides of the nose. A little practice in a quiet place will give you the 'feel' to do this type of theraputic sinus draining in the busier and noisier envirnment of the flight deck.

Good luck!

gofer
20th Jul 2002, 08:02
Have found that a spray with sea water or a light saline solution often solves the congestion as well as the drug and chemical filled ones do.

I know it sounds stupid - I didn't believe it either - but it does work for me, much to my surprise and relief.

Good luck.:)

EightsOnPylons
25th Nov 2002, 05:36
Does anyone know of a website that describes the procedure of an operation in further detail? Would be interesting to see.

thanks,

Vlamgat
25th Nov 2002, 06:48
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have found that going on a little binge the previous night, (maintaining the 12 hour Bot-throt law of Course), and smokin' a couple of fags will definately give you the achies. There's some medical explanation for alchol and water specific gravities interfering with the proper function of your eustacian tubes which will give you the spins and a great big headache on the decent adding to the sinuses which have been ruined by smoking too much!!

gingernut
28th Nov 2002, 16:55
..and of course there is absolutely no evidence to support the use of menthol preperations, and I would never recommend them. Funny though, they work for me !

Shamrock111
28th Nov 2002, 19:36
With regards the sinus problems, I started my ppl a year ago, logged a few hours since then and I have traveled a lot around Europe and America, I can't say that I have ever had any problems with sinus related pain but however one nostril always seems to be blocked, what kind of checks do they do in a class 1 medical? should I be worried about this?

Any help would be welcome

gingernut
29th Nov 2002, 09:42
Shamrock, its normal for patent nasal passages to alternate.