PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Deleted Photos

Shack37
3rd Nov 2017, 17:56
Mrs S37 was deleting some stuff from her mobile and somehow managed to delete the"Gallery pics". Is there any possible way to recover them. I can replace some from my own mobile. I also have a back up archive on my laptop but also lost some of these due to a recent problem with it.

andytug
3rd Nov 2017, 18:38
Depends where they were - if they were on an SD card then you can quickly remove it (before anything gets overwritten) and then attach to a PC or laptop to use something like Piriform Recuva to search for the deleted files. Files aren't deleted just marked for re-use so if you're quick you can often get them back (the longer you leave it the higher chance of them being overwritten and lost) . Same may be possible on Android if you connect the phone via USB.
If it's an IPhone then unless you have them in ICloud backup it's not so easy...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4718118?start=15

Shack37
3rd Nov 2017, 19:16
Thanks andytug, Itīs a Samsung so Iīll give it a go.

Tinstaafl
4th Nov 2017, 05:20
First thing to do is stop using the device! When things are deleted they're not actually removed. Instead the operating system just marks the File Allocation Table to show the part of the disk/memory card the file occupies isn't used. The data - including pics - is still there. Until it gets overwritten, that is.

Using another machine, Google 'Photorec'. There are a number of links to the software. Download & install it. If you can, remove the SD card from the phone and mount it in a PC. Run Photorec against that SD card and it will find all files that are recoverable, even if the FAT shows the file doesn't exist anymore. Photorec looks for the raw data of the file, not the pointer in the FAT.

If you can't remove the memory card then you need to find some way of accessing the data partition as 'root', otherwise the operating system hides stuff from you. In Android you can enable root access when you enable developer access. You will have to google your phone to find out how. Once you have root access, connect it to a PC, mount it as an external drive and sic Photorec on to it.

Avtrician
4th Nov 2017, 09:03
There is a very good prog called Pandora Recovery, it should do the trick once you get the hang of it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2017, 17:24
Have you tried the Recycle Bin? If they're in there you can recover them with a couple of mouse clicks..

Shack37
4th Nov 2017, 17:42
Thanks again all. Couldnīt recover pics but between my laptop back-up, mobile phone and some dust covered original "hard copies" weīve recovered the majority including most of the important ones:ok:

Homsap
6th Nov 2017, 17:39
This is the problem I needed to send a solicitor, who is the defendant, 310 of scanned text in the form of PDF files. My thinking was that this was not possible as an attachment, as the data set was too large.

So I put the 310 files onto a DVD-RW, but this solicitor claimed he could not download the files and sent the disc back to me, I loaded in into two different laptops and both could read the files, I'm on Window OS. I think this soicitor is just playing games.

So my questions are:

(a) How likely is it that a legal practice with 30 + staff not be able to download PDF files from a DVD-RW?

(b) What would be the largest PDF data set you could attach via a gmail avcout through btinternet?

I should add under the civil procedures rules, you are expected to pre agree the method of transfering data, perhaps this is what the solicitor is relying on? who knows. I will look up the data set.

andytug
6th Nov 2017, 18:34
This is the problem I needed to send a solicitor, who is the defendant, 310 of scanned text in the form of PDF files. My thinking was that this was not possible as an attachment, as the data set was too large.

So I put the 310 files onto a DVD-RW, but this solicitor claimed he could not download the files and sent the disc back to me, I loaded in into two different laptops and both could read the files, I'm on Window OS. I think this soicitor is just playing games.

So my questions are:

(a) How likely is it that a legal practice with 30 + staff not be able to download PDF files from a DVD-RW?

(b) What would be the largest PDF data set you could attach via a gmail avcout through btinternet?

I should add under the civil procedures rules, you are expected to pre agree the method of transfering data, perhaps this is what the solicitor is relying on? who knows. I will look up the data set.

One possible answer for (a) is that the disc wasn't finalised correctly, an unfinalised DVDRW disc will allow more files to be added on the original computer but to any computer trying to read it will appear blank.

NutLoose
27th Nov 2017, 19:57

So my questions are:

When sending large files I use what used to be yousendit, you can try it for free, basically you upload it to the web, they email them to let them know there is a large file to download by email, they then download it, see
https://www.hightail.com/

johnmark1221
4th Dec 2017, 08:49
Pandora Recovery software