PDA

View Full Version : A 320 Engine Shut Down

Boyington
2nd Nov 2017, 08:38
In the Engine Shut Down checklist of A320 there is a line:
If Wing A/Ice off and Eng fire pb sw not pressed:
If performance permits:
X Bleed open
(If no obstacle constraint exists, open the X Bleed. Can someone please explain what is meant by this.
It also says to determine the single engine gross ceiling, decrease by 1200 ft the result provided by the QRH table. Why should we reduce 1200ft when the single engine gross ceiling is already provided?

RUMBEAR
2nd Nov 2017, 09:05
Opening the crossbreed will allow both packs to operate. The QRH table would be based on single pack. Therefore a performance penalty applies due to 2 packs.

Gary Lager
3rd Nov 2017, 08:44
X Bleed open
(If no obstacle constraint exists, open the X Bleed. Can someone please explain what is meant by this.

If you have not had a fire/damage in the failed engine, the ECAM will suggest opening the X-Bleed to provide bleed air to the failed side, to allow use of Wing Anti-Ice.

vilas
3rd Nov 2017, 13:10
Also you need that for the engine restart.

Boyington
3rd Nov 2017, 13:22
What exactly is meant by "If performance permits".

vilas
3rd Nov 2017, 15:37
As RUMBEAR said with single bleed two pack operation ceiling is lower. If you can't descend to that because of terrain that means you cannot accept the performance with two pack ops. That's what it means.

Boyington
4th Nov 2017, 07:42
Where is this information (ceiling with single bleed and two packs) given? Thanks

The Old Swedish
4th Nov 2017, 09:09
disregard...

Goldenrivett
4th Nov 2017, 09:19
Where is this information (ceiling with single bleed and two packs) given?
FCOM: ENG 1 (2) Shut Down, and with the "extra info button 1+2 highlighted,"

"If WING A/ICE off and ENG 1(2) FIRE pb-sw not pressed:
IF PERF PERMITS:
X BLEED OPEN
If no obstacle constraint exists, open the XBLEED, and decrease the single engine gross ceiling by 1200 ft (Refer to QRH/PER-E Ceilings)."

Boyington
4th Nov 2017, 15:38
Goldenrivett, the information you provided is in the beginning of the thread.
My question is this:
Where does it say that the ceiling has to be reduced by 1200 ft when the ceiling is anyway given for single engine. As some posts here suggests, if the ceiling is reduced by 1200 feet because a single bleed is supplying two packs, I would like to know where it says that the ceiling reduces by 1200ft when a single bleed supplies two packs.

Goldenrivett
5th Nov 2017, 00:51
Boyington, what is it you don't understand by "open the XBLEED, and decrease the single engine gross ceiling by 1200 ft (Refer to QRH/PER-E Ceilings)?"

Boyington
5th Nov 2017, 06:49
Goldenrivett, my doubt is this:
FCOM States "To determine the single engine gross ceiling, decrease by 1200 ft the result provided by the QRH table".
This gives the impression (at least to me) that what is given in the QRH is the ceiling for twin engine and we need to decrease 1200ft to determine the single engine ceiling, whereas what is given in the QRH is the single engine ceiling.
And the corrections given at the bottom of the chart is for Anti Ice On whereas the checklist in the FCOM states with a precondition (Black Dot)"If Wing A/Ice off ...."

Maybe I am not seeing something which is very obvious. Can someone please clarify.

mcdude
5th Nov 2017, 07:12
If the FCOM was written like this, would that help?

"To determine the single engine gross ceiling with XBLEED open, decrease by 1200 ft the result provided by the QRH table (which is based on XBLEED closed)."

Boyington
5th Nov 2017, 08:03
If the FCOM was written like this, would that help?

"To determine the single engine gross ceiling with XBLEED open, decrease by 1200 ft the result provided by the QRH table (which is based on XBLEED closed)."

Thanks. It is clear now. Thanks everyone.

Goldenrivett
5th Nov 2017, 08:13
Boyington,

Thanks. I think I can see what you are missing.

1) This gives the impression (at least to me) that what is given in the QRH is the ceiling for twin engine
Title of page = One Engine Out.

2)whereas the checklist in the FCOM states with a precondition (Black Dot)"If Wing A/Ice off ....
It sounds like you have never opened the X Bleed valve in the sim with Eng Fail No Damage.
If X Bleed is opened, then ECAM asks you to turn on the 2nd Pack. Thus the running engine is supplying 2 packs. The QRH Ceiling graph "One Engine Out" assumes only 1 pack.

Boyington
5th Nov 2017, 13:02
Thanks Goldenrivett,
I had seen the Title of the page (One engine Out). What I did not know was that it assumes only 1 Pack. Thanks again for clarifying.