View Full Version : Air Do don't quite so much, pilot shortage

jolihokistix
2nd Nov 2017, 02:25
https://japantoday.com/category/national/shortage-of-pilots-at-air-do-causes-cancellation-of-34-flights#comments

(Some comments underneath the article.)

Shortage of pilots at Air Do causes cancellation of 34 flights

Today 06:15 am JST
5 Comments (https://japantoday.com/category/national/shortage-of-pilots-at-air-do-causes-cancellation-of-34-flights#comments)

TOKYO
A shortage of pilots at Air Do, the Sapporo-based low-cost carrier (LCC) that operates six flights from Hokkaido to Honshu, has caused the cancellation of 34 flights in November. The two suspended routes departing from New Chitose Airport are being attributed to pilots retiring from their jobs.
Air Do said the retirement of one pilot in August of this year and another in October has created difficulties in sorting out the present flight schedule, Sankei Shimbun reported. Therefore, Air Do announced it will partially suspend flights from New Chitose Airport to Haneda and Sendai.
According to Air Do, approximately 2,400 passengers will be affected by the carrier’s suspension of 34 flights.
Currently, pilots are globally in high demand within the aviation industry due to the surge of LCCs.
© Japan Today

bafanguy
2nd Nov 2017, 09:57
TOKYO
Air Do said the retirement of one pilot in August of this year and another in October has created difficulties in sorting out the present flight schedule, Sankei Shimbun reported.
© Japan Today

Really ? :rolleyes:

+TSRA
2nd Nov 2017, 17:45
Their wiki page says Air Do operates 9x 737's and 4x 767's, so I could see the loss of two pilots on the 767 fleet causing problems if they are min crewed.

bafanguy
2nd Nov 2017, 19:56
Are they hiring people ? That might help. And get 'em through school in a reasonable time frame ? Just a thought. ;)

+TSRA
2nd Nov 2017, 20:12
bafanguy, I'd love to know an airline that actually acts proactively to hiring rather than playing the "wait and see" game. I've worked with a few companies who based hiring decisions on how much OT they were paying out.

bafanguy
2nd Nov 2017, 20:47
bafanguy, I'd love to know an airline that actually acts proactively to hiring rather than playing the "wait and see" game.

+TSRA,

No dispute there.

A few big US carriers "may" be proactively hiring because the retirement hard data is so overwhelming even the Suits can't ignore it (some have tried and I have that from a reliable source).

I was just being sarcastic. Didn't see a smilie for sarcasm.