PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge, Gothenburg, Manchester?

25F
1st Nov 2017, 18:01
As I understand things, flights BA8235 and BA8236 are scheduled flights between Cambridge and Gothenburg connecting AstraZeneca's HQ with a Swedish research centre. Although operated by Sun-Air using Dornier 328Jets in BA livery, tickets are not available to the public (although they used to be).

That's the preamble. What I've noticed recently (I live near the Cambridge flightpath) is a change to the schedules and on looking at fr24 I notice something which strikes me as odd:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oy-ncn
After landing at Cambridge, the aircraft then goes to Manchester to overnight before returning in the morning. Why would they do that?

And is there really nothing they can do with the aircraft while it is in Sweden for five or so hours?

Could it be that AstraZeneca just want it on standby in case the CEO decides to come home early? Must cost a fortune...

DomyDom
1st Nov 2017, 18:34
Hello 25F, Astra Zeneca has labs and an office in Macclesfield near Manchester so it may be something to do with that.

LAX_LHR
1st Nov 2017, 18:48
They also have a facility near Liverpool Airport, so, Manchester is probably a central location to get to those sites.

It was possible to book the MAN-GOT flights via 3rd party sites a week or so ago, but at £1300 return, I'd think most would give them a miss. It seems the options to book the flights have been taken away again, although they do appear in the BA and OneWorld online timetables.

LAX_LHR
1st Nov 2017, 19:32
That may be the Billund flight TangoAlphad, as the GOT flight only started 2 days ago.

Vokes55
1st Nov 2017, 20:38
Could it be that AstraZeneca just want it on standby in case the CEO decides to come home early? Must cost a fortune...

Most CEOs of a $23billion revenue company would probably have a private jet available to them within a couple of hours. I don't think subsidising a Dornier to sit on the ground for 5 hours is going to 'cost a fortune', relatively speaking.

Heathrow Harry
2nd Nov 2017, 10:02
"And is there really nothing they can do with the aircraft while it is in Sweden for five or so hours?"

Ok 5 hours - allow 45 minutes to board new passengers - then fly somewhere - that's an hour otherwise it's not competitive with surface transport - then an hour on the ground and an hour back and deplane 30 minutes - total = 4-15

and the risk you delay the ASTRA ZENECA departure ... and they are the ones paying you serious money (far more than you'd get for a normal UK- Scandi flight I'm sure - that £1300 return probably isn't too far off the cost per pax)

Just not worth it -a very small increase in income for more miles on the 'plane and the chance of p****** off your big customer

virginblue
2nd Nov 2017, 15:05
I took a GOT-CBG flight when it was still available - booked with Avios back then...

TURIN
5th Nov 2017, 12:34
Hello 25F, Astra Zeneca has labs and an office in Macclesfield near Manchester so it may be something to do with that.

I thought that had closed and was relocated near Cambridge. :(

chaps1954
5th Nov 2017, 12:54
Only part of R&D, still a large operation in Manchester

TURIN
5th Nov 2017, 13:02
Ok, thanks, I drive past the Nether Alderley site regularly and noticed a lot of redevelopment work ongoing.

chaps1954
5th Nov 2017, 13:16
Yes there is now a centre of excellence in the grounds which is connected with Manchester University and Wythenshawe Hospital plus others hospitals and involves a number of research,institutes, companies etc including Astra Zeneca

25F
6th Nov 2017, 08:41
"And is there really nothing they can do with the aircraft while it is in Sweden for five or so hours?"

Ok 5 hours - allow 45 minutes to board new passengers - then fly somewhere - that's an hour otherwise it's not competitive with surface transport - then an hour on the ground and an hour back and deplane 30 minutes - total = 4-15

Well then you go somewhere else and a different aircraft does the return...

Thanks to all for the info!