PDA

View Full Version : 7 Y.O. Runaway Boards EZY in Geneva.

JumpJumpJump
1st Nov 2017, 15:19
A 7 year-old girl managed to run away and board an easyJet flight at Geneva Airport? without ticket | AIRLIVE.net (http://www.airlive.net/a-7-year-old-girl-managed-to-run-away-and-board-an-easyjet-flight-at-geneva-airport-without-ticket)

Didn't get as far as pushback, but this seven-year-old managed to get out of the city centre by train... Pass security at Geneva and board an EZY flight.

I think that the airport new that she was there after one crew turned her away... Hopefully more details to follow.

l.garey
1st Nov 2017, 15:42
According to the local radio news, she ran away from her parents at Geneva TOWN train station about 1300, managed to get to the airport, and passed through the French side ticket check. It is then thought because she is rather small she entered between the passengers and got through the gate and security without being noticed. She was finally spotted once on board the aircraft, before being handed to the police and then to her parents!

Hotel Tango
1st Nov 2017, 16:11
Easy solution to this exceptional security risk, ban all kids from airports and aircraft! :E

22/04
1st Nov 2017, 16:19
I take it HT was never a father!

JumpJumpJump
1st Nov 2017, 16:37
Easy solution to this exceptional security risk, ban all kids from airports and aircraft! :E

Whilst I can see the obvious humour in this... Do you also accept that this is a very serious security breach?

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2017, 16:48
I can easily see that a small child could attach themselves to a group of passengers without being recognised as 'not having a ticket/boarding card' - especially if there were other children among the group of adults.
As soon as the onboard passenger headcount was done there would be a discrepancy.

411A NG
1st Nov 2017, 16:50
Why - was she able to take a gun airside?
If not - then I'd say it's just an oversight.
Needs to be handled better? Yes.
But not really a very serious security breach in my eyes.

goeasy
1st Nov 2017, 17:07
What on board head count? Does anyone still do this?

Hotel Tango
1st Nov 2017, 17:08
HT is a father and a grandfather. I think 22/04 may have failed to understand HT's little humouristic dig at the usual knee-jerk reactions one can expect after such security incidents.

JumpJumpJump, I consider all security breaches to be serious, or they would not be a security breach in the first place. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that no security measures are 100% fullproof. The important thing is not too over react but take appropriate and sensible measures to try and avoid it happening again. Too often we see ridiculous knee-jerk reactions. Hence my little attempt at some sarcastic humour.

JumpJumpJump
1st Nov 2017, 17:37
Fair enough. I guess in my haste I did forget that she probably had no bag with her and would have passed through screening and a metal detector. It isn't like she hopped over a fence. So, I get that.

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2017, 17:38
11-year-old boy flies from Manchester to Italy without ticket (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jul/25/11-year-old-flies-rome-manchester).

Capot
1st Nov 2017, 18:04
Do you also accept that this is a very serious security breach?No, of course I don't. An adventurous 7-year old is not a security threat. The fact that she managed to squeeze through the checkpoints says nothing about whether a real threat could do that.

Unless and until 7-year old girls become terrorists. And please spare me the retort that in parts of the world there are gun-toting children. I do not believe that if this girl were carrying an AK47 she would have penetrated undetected as far as she did.

Ambient Sheep
1st Nov 2017, 18:37
I'm more worried as to why she felt the need to get away from her parents as far as she did...

atakacs
1st Nov 2017, 18:48
What on board head count? Does anyone still do this?

Certainly done on every Easyjet flight I am taking (that's about 50 per year).

I muss say that I am very impressed by the initiative, creativity (apparently she crawled between security gates) and frankly courage of this small kid.

pax2908
1st Nov 2017, 19:14
Easyjet might give her a free r/t ticket (for herself and a guest maybe).

DingerX
1st Nov 2017, 21:56
Yeah, but reality check: At Geneva station (Cornavin), trains basically run to France (and that platform ain't always open), to Lausanne and beyond (non newsworthy), and GVA. If you follow the crowd at GVA rail, you end up topside at the departure terminal. The first door is France departures, and if a kid with no bags hits security at the right moment of confusion, then she's through. Two gates and a bus. AF and EZ mostly, with a couple of LX departures.

In short: if your kid hops a train at Cornavin, alert the CFF and the staff at gates 60-61.

EGPFlyer
2nd Nov 2017, 00:09
Certainly done on every Easyjet flight I am taking (that's about 50 per year).

I muss say that I am very impressed by the initiative, creativity (apparently she crawled between security gates) and frankly courage of this small kid.

Maybe 5 years ago... easyJet don’t do headcounts now

ExXB
2nd Nov 2017, 11:12
If the flight was full-ish, she would have had a problem finding a vacant seat. Likely a flight attendant would then ask “where are your parents” and then loudly “has anyone lost a kid?” in four languages (easyjet Suisse from those gates DZ not U2).

If she had found a vacant seat adjacent to another kid, she might have got away with it.

Apparently they have already closed her route with a slab of plexiglass.

Ian W
2nd Nov 2017, 12:15
Why - was she able to take a gun airside?
If not - then I'd say it's just an oversight.
Needs to be handled better? Yes.
But not really a very serious security breach in my eyes.

Unfortunately untrue

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/child-suicide-bombings_us_57bb87aae4b00d9c3a19a62f

Use of children as bombers is increasingly common - expect it to be more so after these incidents

I don't know about Geneva, but had a child got away from parents in Germany it is an offense and the police would charge the parents with failing to control their child.

CargoOne
2nd Nov 2017, 13:08
Unless I've got something wrong she was indeed screened at security point

Ian W
2nd Nov 2017, 14:21
Where the 'watcher' could have exploded her - to encourage the screeners to carry on their jobs. Most of these attacks happen at check points